With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby Twig » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:09 pm

I agree with Mortem. If more weapons were added before fixing some of the current issues it would just get worse and much harder to fix later on.

At the moment there is no real use for any of the rifles. Sharps is fun and all but the truth is colts are equally capable from long distances and you have 6 rounds in both guns. Only difference being the cross hair might blur your sight where as with the sharps you get the scope.

I'm not sure how much damage of colts is reduced according to the bullets travelling distance but like a few have already said.. reducing the damage/range ratio a bit more or reducing the actual range of colts and giving rifles an increase in accuracy and slight increase in damage.

The bottom line is colts are too powerful. 2 leg shots kill a player and when firing a winchester you need what.. around 4 hits to kill something.
SG name: mS//Twig
Twig
Pistolero

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:41 pm

ltmon wrote:I take it from this reply that an iron sights alt-fire would require further modelling, textures and animation beyond just moving the base rifle model around relative to the camera (which is kind of what I was thinking, but I know nearly nothing of q3 development)?

To make it look good, I think we'd need an animator at the very least.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:17 am

Twig wrote:The bottom line is colts are too powerful. 2 leg shots kill a player and when firing a winchester you need what.. around 4 hits to kill something.

The Winchester rifle kills with two legs shots too, it's just that you can't fire two shots at the same time. In the 1.1 beta, the peacemakers currently need three legs shots, while the rifles still need only two.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:43 am

torhu wrote:
Twig wrote:The bottom line is colts are too powerful. 2 leg shots kill a player and when firing a winchester you need what.. around 4 hits to kill something.

The Winchester rifle kills with two legs shots too, it's just that you can't fire two shots at the same time. In the 1.1 beta, the peacemakers currently need three legs shots, while the rifles still need only two.

which i think is a resonable change already :)
does anyone other than me think the remington58 needs to be just a wee bit stronger? :D
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:48 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:does anyone other than me think the remington58 needs to be just a wee bit stronger? :D

I don't. I like how the gun you start with does some damage, but is basically useless. It forces the player to spend their money wisely: eg "Do I buy a peacemaker and use my Remington, or do I buy a S&W and hope to find more so I can buy another S&W so I dont have to use a Remington."
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:00 am

A real 58Remy IS quite powerful at close range. But right now ingame it actually loads faster than the peacemaker, with the interchangable cylinders, when in reality you'd have to sit down somewhere and reload all those with black powder and ball, sooner or later. So maybe that is sort of compensated for ingame by the Remington being less powerful, and therefore less valuable? :roll:
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:05 pm

well i dont really mean all around more powerful.. i do like that u have to make wise decisions between the stronger pistols...

its more do you guys think that a close headshot from the remington should kill a player in one shot? because at the moment im sure you all know that it doesnt :| and it just seems a bit silly to me :P
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Thats a problem that should be solved by giving the head hitbox a bigger damage multiplyer.
I have had situations where a Colt peacemaker headshot did not kill a player :)

Sucalakafufu wrote:

its more do you guys think that a close headshot from the remington should kill a player in one shot? because at the moment im sure you all know that it doesnt :| and it just seems a bit silly to me :P

Oh, and btw, this is a topic from months ago. And the opening post is only about prices, surely you all know by now that more has to been changed in the weapons system.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby AlbertoSAA » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:10 pm

Sucalakafufu wrote:
torhu wrote:
Twig wrote:does anyone other than me think the remington58 needs to be just a wee bit stronger? :D

It should be, at least the real Remington 58 was a strong revolver, more than the Colt 1851 Navy and perhaps the 1860 Army. As I have read, it was possible to load it quickly by exchanging the cylinder if only you had the money to spend on one. Only the game seems to forget the percussion caps, which would make it take a bit more than just placing a new cylinder. As we see it in SG it seems so fast to load as the Schofield, which is far from true. Only a cartridge-converted would be able to load a new cylinder and be ready for shooting.
AlbertoSAA
Drifter

Postby AlbertoSAA » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:19 pm

Looking better at the image, maybe it IS a conversion. I am sorry... :D lololol

Anyway there could be the option of loading by the loading gate, same way as the Colt.

And has anyone noticed, when you are using two Colt Peacemakers akimbo, the left gun loading gate is placed on the left side. As we know, in the left side it's wrong, and the right is right. :D Left isn't right, correct...?
AlbertoSAA
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:10 am

mLy! wrote:I have had situations where a Colt peacemaker headshot did not kill a player :)

[EDIT: All i've written is nonsense according to tequila - so not worth to read --- made text smaaall]

I believe you had been victim of a prediction-error.

I am not 100% sure about the following, but i got the feeling SG works like this:
1) you shoot (client sends the information of your shot to the server)
2) client predicts which part of the body you'll hit and tells you (in your case, that you hit head)
3) server recieves the information about your shot, calculates what you have aimed at at the time you shot, and tells your target, that you wounded him while reducing his health.

The problem is, that sometimes if you hit right between two hitzones, the prediction you see on your screen differs from what the server will see. So eventhough it tells you, that you hit his head, you for real (what the server sees) hit neck or whatever.

--

I noticed the same on a server quite a while ago. I hit 3 times legs, and 1 time arm. The other player wrote in console then "lol - you hit 3 times arm and 1 time leg".

The message he recieves, is what the server is seeing. The message you recieve is just a prediction of what the server will see.

If someone of the devs would be able to confirm this, or correct me, i'd be thankful

/quit
Last edited by moRtem on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Sorry moRtem, but you're wrong.

Hit messages are really initiated by the server side as 'EV_HIT_MESSAGE' event even for shooter and victims. Hit messages are not predicted and it would be stupid to predict such stuff as Unlagged code could change any prediction.

If you really want to debug damage, you can try to set g_debugDamage cvar on a local game and you'll see details about applied damage.

So btw, we should check if there's a bug around hit part decoding. Do you remember with what kind of weapon you hit the guy ?

8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:45 pm

thx for clearing up, tequila

i unfortunately don't remember the exact weapon i hit with. But i am sure i used 2 pistols in akimbo-mode.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Sucalakafufu » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:00 am

moRtem wrote:thx for clearing up, tequila

i unfortunately don't remember the exact weapon i hit with. But i am sure i used 2 pistols in akimbo-mode.

/quit

with at least one of the pistols being a remington, it is common to get 2 or 3 leg shots and a few arm shots and the other person not dying.... :(
ive had this experience :P
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:25 pm

Sucalakafufu wrote:with at least one of the pistols being a remington, it is common to get 2 or 3 leg shots and a few arm shots and the other person not dying.... :(
ive had this experience :P

it's not about that -- please reread the small text in my previous post

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel