With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Re: starting rifle(s)

Postby Kouma » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:53 pm

Dred wrote:a percussion cap or musket (civil war era or earlier) rifle could be a starting weapon so one can buy a rifle early on due to reduced range, accuracy and power

Actually, these rifles were kinda powerful, in high calibers and with pretty good accuracy and range tho. :roll:
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Kouma » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Now, about the 1897 shotgun:

It's historically priced. Since normal DB's were kinda cheap, this shotgun was a new gun and hold more shells, and is faster to shoot/reload. I think it should be a little more powerful, like a single Remington shotgun shot. And accuracy should keep same. I like to use it sometimes, because I just LOVE it appearance (nice work, SG Team/Iron Claw modeller!).

Now, I see we have a modeller here active. Why not after the development of that lovely Colt Navy, we don't get a Mauser C96 pistol, one of the first semi-automatic pistols ever made? I'd really love to shoot with it, like my favorite western movie The Great Silence.
Btw, I think it should have a faster rate of fire, but something between Schofield and Peacemaker in power. Accuracy same as Peacemaker.

BY THE WAY, I JUST GOT AN IDEA :idea: ALL PISTOLS COULD HAVE SAME ACCURACY. THAT WOULD MAKE LIFE A LOT EASIER.

Mauser link, if anyone interest about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_C96

I know, I talk too much.... :oops:
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Breli » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:07 pm

I am all with Red and Torhu here: reduce accuracy and perhaps damage of colts (especially in akimbo and especially the PM) in order to upgrade rifles at longer ranges. Prices can be kept IMHO, maybe scope should be changed t0 5$ or so ...

At longer range a player with a rifle should have a noticeable edge over anybody with colts ...

I really, really like the Winchester Rifle 8)

Just MHO though ...
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:39 pm

mYl! wrote:would suggest:
peacemaker: 25$
winchester rifle: 20 $
colt rifle: 22$
remington 12 shotgun: 28$
sawed off: 30$
winchester shotgun: 28$
Sharps + scope: 40$

I think the Peacemaker's price is fine, you need 44$ just to get your hands on two of them.

ummm, why are the 12 gage and the pump shotguns the same price? the pump shotgun is way better all around, reload for one thing. The 12 gage always needs to have those two levers cocked back every time you take it out or reload it.

when me and my friends are on we have to at least once use a rifle on every map, and the guys we are up against do the same. the only thing I would have to say about the rifles is that the pump action one (sorry I don't remember which one that is) should maybe have a bit more accuracy.

And one last thing. I agree with Breli, the scope should be about 5$ and not come with the sharps.

to be completely honest, I would just keep everything the same. just add some accuracy to that one rifle, and make the scope only 5$.
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:58 am

The more I think about it, the more I believe the only thing necessary is to reduce the accuracy of the pistols. For me, pistols are ALWAYS a better bet than a Winchester rifle. Sure, they're less accurate, but they get the job done and firing two bullets at a time increases chance of a hit. If you change that on me, I will start buying rifles for my long-range needs.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Allied » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:28 pm

I personally would prefer to see rifle's accuracy improved and revolvers left as they are. Two Peacemaker's is like what the "Western" should be about, and rifles for the longer range shots. Revolvers aren't too powerful at range, but rifles simply aren't what they should be. If you dropped the Peacemaker's accuracy, it wouldn't aid rifle usage since I definitely find rifles just not good enough. I would definitely use one as a secondary if it would just hit targets at range, it simply doesn't unless the spread chances on a good shot.
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:58 pm

Is there a way to decrease the damage done in an exponential function to the range?
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm

float Modify_BulletDamage(float damage, int weapon, vec3_t start, vec3_t end)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:57 pm

/dev/random wrote:float Modify_BulletDamage(float damage, int weapon, vec3_t start, vec3_t end)

Is this in use? See, we don't have to completely nerf pistols or alter their accuracy, just make them less powerful from range. Where the pistols drop off is where the rifles surpass them in effectiveness, because their damage function is much less steep per range.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby DeUgli » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:36 am

Redwing wrote:See, we don't have to completely nerf pistols or alter their accuracy, just make them less powerful from range. Where the pistols drop off is where the rifles surpass them in effectiveness, because their damage function is much less steep per range.
If only the game physics allowed realistic gravity dropoff. The other day I killed M0nster with two lowly Remington revolvers from maybe 60 yards out, shooting up to where he was on top of the bank. I'm no ballistics expert but I had a hard time believing that was realistic.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Redwing » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 am

DeUgli wrote:
Redwing wrote:See, we don't have to completely nerf pistols or alter their accuracy, just make them less powerful from range. Where the pistols drop off is where the rifles surpass them in effectiveness, because their damage function is much less steep per range.
If only the game physics allowed realistic gravity dropoff. The other day I killed M0nster with Remingtons from maybe 60 yards out, shooting up to where he was on top of the bank. I'm no ballistics expert but I had a hard time believing that was realistic.

I meant where the damage slope gets to be very steep downward, not when the bullets physically drop... but that would be cool too.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby DeUgli » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:03 pm

Redwing wrote:I meant where the damage slope gets to be very steep downward, not when the bullets physically drop... but that would be cool too.
Now that I think about it, having the damage drop off would be equivalent to the effect of gravity without involving the complex physics calculations the computer would have to do. The only thing missing is sighting the gun higher to compensate, as you would do in RL.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Redwing » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:27 pm

DeUgli wrote:
Redwing wrote:I meant where the damage slope gets to be very steep downward, not when the bullets physically drop... but that would be cool too.
Now that I think about it, having the damage drop off would be equivalent to the effect of gravity without involving the complex physics calculations the computer would have to do. The only thing missing is sighting the gun higher to compensate, as you would do in RL.

I wouldn't suggest we go that far though... making things too complicated takes the fun out, if you ask me.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby sparcdr » Fri May 01, 2009 1:09 am

rane wrote:How do I become a tester then? :-)

http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/binaries/
(Current is R218 as of post)

Tell us if it steals your lunch or kills your cat so we can fix it.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Allied » Fri May 01, 2009 2:14 am

sparcdr wrote:
rane wrote:How do I become a tester then? :-)

http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/binaries/
(Current is R218 as of post)

Tell us if it steals your lunch or kills your cat so we can fix it.

Are you offering to fix the cat or the client? If it's not the cat, forget it.

I get a 403 forbidden on the win32 subdirectory of 218 :).
Allied
Quick Draw

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel