With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby Bodie » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:48 pm

I joined testers group (thx Pardner!) and could access Hellrider's old thread. I read there that my point about making rifles cheaper was already raised by Breli so it proves it's not a new idea but something that's been demanded for a while already (it's WQ2.2 testing thread).

Now about our argument.
It's a huge plus of this game that weapons are historically accurate in their effective range, damage or reloading time and messing with that too much would probably take away a lot from game's authenticity.

Instead of changing specs of weapons, I think we just shouldn't price them historically but instead price them accordingly to their gameplay effectiveness. And my experience is that effectiveness of a Winchester is so low it can be safely made a basic weapon of this game which you can always buy even if you finish a round dead with no kills whatsoever.

It won't make a person stronger than with two pistols but it will provide additional variety to losing team's next round set up. It will also have impact on the way people are defending, there will be less rooftop snipers with two colts cause they will be afraid of being beheaded by a lucky Winchester shot.

It will simply make the game more interesting.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Redwing » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:53 pm

I would like the Winchester rifle as a second option for starting. Seriously, at the beginnings of games everyone just jumps on the S&Ws and it's too predictable. Having the option of a rifle would make games much more interesting and varied right from the start. Personally I think the Winchester rifle is useless. I never buy it. It's more effective to buy a 12 gauge or Sawn-off and camp. But I'd like to have another option besides S&W, knives or dynamite/moltov.

Or, you could give the player the ability to sell a weapon for half price. That would open up base-level rifles and shotguns to anyone who was willing to ditch their pistol.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby moRtem » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:05 pm

i like the idea of changing weapon-specs a bit.

i don't think it is very realistic that pistols are that accurate in long distances :: especially when used in akimbo-style

i aswell think that rifles should be given more accuracy at long distances

::

i also like the idea of making Winchester 20$ since it's only good for mid/far range :: while Schofield should be supposed to be close/mid

---

in general, when i think of the weapons, they should be divided into three classes:
effectivity in close / mid / long distance

all pistols should be categorized into close-mid in my opinion
shotguns (remington and sawed) close
winchester shotgun close-mid
sharp rifle: long
other rifles: mid-long

currently pistols are everything from close to long, which makes them pretty overpowered in general (especially akimbo-mode should have a drawback -> like lowering the accuracy and thus making it less effective in mid-range)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Kouma » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:25 am

Hell guys! What a mess in this topic!

First thing: Whatever you all do, DON'T change ANYTHING in dynamite.

Next, IMO weapon prices are fine. Only the Sharps and scope are a little overpriced, but you could lower the price of scope only, and just a little $5 from sharps. That would be fine.

Now, when I started playing this game I really was thinking to get the Winchester rifle as my main gun. Well, I changed it for the double barrel shotgun when I realized it sucks.

Realistically (do that word exists? :oops: ) talking, the 44-40 caliber used in the W. rifle has same the power than the 45 Long Colt used in the Peacemakers. What I'm trying to say is, you could just get the Winchester and Lightning a little more powerful, something in the middle of the single and akimbo Colts.

Well, people like me mainly uses shotguns because of ping difference. For example, I can kill a lot of people with my lovely DB when I have a ping of 200, and other guys have pings like 100, 150 and they DO NOT suck.

But, when I face guys with ping 80, 50, and they suck, I still beating them. But I get beaten when I face guys like Mly, who don't suck and have these pings, dont matter the weapon I'm using.

Well, going back to weapons business, main ideas are:
- Low the price of sharps and scope;
- Keep all shotguns AND DYNAMITE unchanged;
- MAYBE low the power of peacemaker JUST A LITTLE BIT;
- URGENTLY high the power of Lighting and Winchester rifle (same power, since they use same caliber);
- Try to find some way to low my ping (lol just kidding)

Thats it.
Yours truly, your all-time dynamite bastard
Kouma :wink:
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:56 am

rane wrote:I joined testers group (thx Pardner!) and could access Hellrider's old thread. I read there that my point about making rifles cheaper was already raised by Breli so it proves it's not a new idea but something that's been demanded for a while already (it's WQ2.2 testing thread).

Demanded? I don't think I like that word. :roll:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Bodie » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:17 am

Desired, requested, asked for, wanted, preferred, called on?
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Redwing » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 am

How about making some incentive for wielding pistols one at a time? Akimbo pistols could be far less accurate, while wielding them one at a time could be accurate but of course, less bullets to shoot and pistol-swapping time. Sometimes I'll wield pistols one at a time just for rapid-fire, but it's so terribly inaccurate that it's just not worth it.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Kouma » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:27 am

Redwing wrote:How about making some incentive for wielding pistols one at a time?

I'm really sorry, but if that become a rule, I WON'T follow it. Man, I REALLY suck doing that. I only use pistols if it is that COOL fanning mode or both at a time. No wielding one at a time. :x
Last edited by Kouma on Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 am

I agree that the weapon stats should be tweaked. Pistols ought to lose accuracy beyond medium range, as in real life according to model. (The peacemakers in particular need to be nerfed for range.) Akimbos imo should only be accurate at short (possibly medium) range. Rifles should be very accurate at ALL ranges, as they are in real life according to the model. Winchester shotgun feels pretty good to me as does the sawed off but the double barrell has too much damage at long range.
I disagree with changing prices to ignore common sense though.

Torhu has been our weapons man in the past. Maybe he can find time to tweak some values?

As for starting cash & default weapons in team mode, that's been a quandry for ages. The easiest fix I can think of would be for the losing team to keep a bit more cash to afford the cheapest rifle or shotgun. Deathmatch shouldn't change since there are money pickups.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:25 am

I would agree on not changing the prices except maybe the scope of the Sharps. Maybe. Other than that the Winchester shotgun isn't actually too hard to use and its actually able to be used for long range combat for some reason. I've been able to shoot down good players from across the screen with that shotty. Maybe that should be changed? I'm not too sure if thats accurate to that weapon's stats. Rifles should be a bit more accurate (the Sharps crosshairs are often a tad off, tho ive gotten used to that).

I also like the selling idea. If players could sell weapons for some cash it would add another realistic aspect to this game :).

-Sucalakafufu
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:11 am

Welcome to the forum Sucalakafufu. 8)

Sucalakafufu wrote:Other than that the Winchester shotgun isn't actually too hard to use and its actually able to be used for long range combat for some reason. I've been able to shoot down good players from across the screen with that shotty. Maybe that should be changed?

Keep in mind that you might be shooting at a player with 8 health. Try it on someone with full health & see how many shells it takes. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:11 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Welcome to the forum Sucalakafufu. 8)

Sucalakafufu wrote:Other than that the Winchester shotgun isn't actually too hard to use and its actually able to be used for long range combat for some reason. I've been able to shoot down good players from across the screen with that shotty. Maybe that should be changed?

Keep in mind that you might be shooting at a player with 8 health. Try it on someone with full health & see how many shells it takes. :wink:

thx for the welcome :)
yup he/she had full health :) the person just spawned and i shot :P

Edit: it sometimes took like all 5 shots sometimes more; other times i got them in like 1-3 shots :)
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I agree with the rifle discussion. Rifles more accurate and more damage.
Peacemaker should be nerfed in both damage and range.

Another way to promote rifles is to make shotguns more expensive, like I said before 90% of the players run around with sawed off or remington12.

And the winchester shotgun, I really really think it should be cheaper. I consider myself a good player with aim, and I find it really difficult to play with that shotgun. The damage is very low compare to the other 2 shotguns.

I would suggest:
peacemaker: 25$
winchester rifle: 20 $
colt rifle: 22$
remington 12 shotgun: 28$
sawed off: 30$
winchester shotgun: 28$
Sharps + scope: 40$
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

starting rifle(s)

Postby Dred » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:38 pm

i was thinkin instead of lowering the power or price(whatever) of the winchester to make it a starting weapon, perhaps a percussion cap or musket (civil war era or earlier) rifle could be a starting weapon so one can buy a rifle early on due to reduced range, accuracy and power and long reload time, but will be encouraged to "upgrade" to a winchester, lightning or other weapon but still have a fighting chance against a stronger enemy.

Thanks. :D
Dred
Drifter

Postby Kouma » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:50 pm

mLy! wrote:Another way to promote rifles is to make shotguns more expensive

Dont give 'em these ideas!

SG TEAM, SHOTGUN PRICE IS FINE, DON'T CHANGE IT!!!
Kouma
Shootist

PreviousNext

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel