With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Is it possible

Easy, even my grand parents can do it
No votes
Hard as hell, no way
No votes
My PC won't survive it, you will need a whole city of new PCs to handle it
No votes
Useless, I breake window only when there a pair of legs behind it
No votes
Will add to my map(s) soon
33%
I want it whatever it costs!
67%

Total votes : 3

Breakable stuff to maps - is it possible? [solved - no]

Postby Lucky Bro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:10 am

Good day,

So, the question is - is it possible to add a few more breakable things to current and upcoming maps?
It is more about decorative things than about functional stuff.

I don't know anything about mapping (ok, I admit, I did some maps with Build3D for Duke and with really old stuff for Quake1, but it was a long time ago and those weren't impressive works (I'm not a designer), so I don't count them), so I just do here a suggestion based on the idea that we already have some breakable stuff on maps.
For example, we have The Tower and The Windows (as well as short bridge, but I think tower is enough for example) on Alamo map:
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/2720_shot0000_1.jpg][timg]2720_shot0000_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
What I want to be added to maps are those boxes to be breakable as the tower. When somewhere around will be blown up a dyno - they should blow up to.
And in the saloon we have beautiful windows which could be broken with either dyno or bullet/knife.
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/2720_shot0001_1.jpg][timg]2720_shot0001_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
So, what I want to add here is breakable glasses. I don't know how it will be better to accomplish this.. There could be a triangle/square-tube glass which consists of three/four glass sides. If it is impossible to make
it without a borders - then maybe it is possible to do it inside small borders and only side-glass will be breakable.
Also I think those bottles on the bar table should be breakable as the tower outside.
And it will be really cool if bar will have a backboard of opaque glass which will be opaque but breakable as the glass which is used to build the windows.

That is just a start point if such things are possible. And the same time it is end point if they are not possible. That why I don't want to do any further suggestions/discussions (I think everyone got some ideas what to add to every map) and prefer to wait until the verdict from mappers/coders will come up.
So, before write any suggestions what could be breakable and what not - let our mappers and coders have a word, please.

I want to emphasize that such things are decorative only! The game is playable without them. But with them each map will be more.. authentic? I personally really love any breakable stuff in games. And physics even more. I know that Tech 3 hasn't any easy way to add proper dynamic physics to maps, but maybe it is possible to add more breakable static stuff. There are not many games which can handle breakable stuff in multiplayer mode. And western-based even less. Even Call of Juarez has ODE (open source physic engine which is used in single player part of the game) off in multiplayer, so they don't have even one single window to broke in net game. Let's SG be much better than that :)

Also I try to make here my first poll.. Just for.. Ones who want to say something short :)

I really appreciate any answer, but I will be happy if answering person will also add some details of why to simple "yes" or "no" if he/she could do it. Because as I said - I don't know how it works and therefore I can't judge basing on my own knowledges.

Thank you for attention! Have a good day!
Last edited by Lucky Bro on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:06 pm

We did a lot of tests a few years ago concerning flares, breakables, rotating doors & such to see what effect there is on performance. It all adds up & the more of them you have in an open styled map, the worse performance gets. We even removed some breakables from some levels for this reason. What you suggest is something we've always wanted, but it just isn't a good idea for this engine. Maybe if the game gets ported to a new engine someday? But it's hard to see the future.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:21 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:We even removed some breakables from some levels for this reason.

dm_canyon was a good example. all of the furniture in the saloon was breakable. Most of the time the breakables werent even triggered, but removing them gave me a 10~15fps boost.

If you want another example of how the breakables effect frame rate, take a look at dm_nonamecity. If you find a spot on the map where you can see most of the town, start shooting out windows. The frame rate may (or may not depending on your machine) start dropping. I can slow my computer down to almost a ~20fps crawl.

In order to have more breakables in a map, the breakable engine must be optimized codewise (if possible).
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you ReD and Pardner.
Yeah, I understood now that it is not possible.
You have understand me as well - I had to ask that question. Every kid loves to break everything.

Thank you for attention. The discussion seems to be closed until someone figure out something..
Maybe there will be small maps for deathmatch duels 1v1 with lot of breakable stuff. Or it will be a completely new engine. Will see.

Have a good day!
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel