With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby iap » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:31 am

I think you're just listening to too much Michael Jackson's songs...

(Sorry OT.. 8) )
iap
Pistolero

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:02 pm

I have noticed that this is really hard to do some trick when the CPU load is low (one or two player connected), but tricks are easier when the server is full and laggy.
For example, jumping on the roof in Mexico (the one in the narrow alley, with crate) is sometime impossible (you slide down the oblique roof).

I have heard too, the rumor who said that there is a 'magical' framerate in Q3 engine, that permit to jump slightly farther...
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:36 pm

I got a faster PC this summer. I started playing at max fps, which is 125, but noticed that there were some jumps I couldn't do anymore. I then set com_maxfps to 75, and those jumps were no problem. ;)

IIRC, it's caused by variation in how much rounding errors affect movement calculations.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:35 am

Hey, maybe we should add a feature on the client side to check such kind of problem:
- client should know where it should have been landed isn't it ? But server only got rounded delta translation and then return to the client where it has landed him.
- does comparing the 2 values may be used to autofix com_maxfps on the client side ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Tequila » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Argh, btw did you read the comment at the beginning of the http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/FAQFPSJumps.html page ?

Note that these do not apply when you are using the new 125HZ modification released 18.09.2000 and incorporated into OSP and Q3COMP. Any 1.27g or above server that has 125 Hz enabled server side is also not subject to the FPS physics issue. By default however 1.27g is set to disable 125 Hz server side.

So we should not be concerned by that problem. I just asked on #ioquake3 IRC chanel and Timbo reminded me the "new 125HZ modification" should be related to pmove_fixed code... That code is also modified by unlagged code... I'm investigating...

But, at http://ucguides.savagehelp.com/Quake3/connection.html, you can read about pmoved_fixed:
Enabling this option will make the player physics the same for all players independent from their framerate."
I guess now you can use pmoved_fixed to force the same physics for every players so every players on a public server may have the same bad physics feeling...

So maybe my proposition to fix com_maxfps automagically still could be a good feature ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:28 pm

In 'SandMod', a server side mod for rtcw 1.0, they also fixed the FPS related movement.
(every player moves as if they had 125 fps)

Weird thing is, in SG its not only your FPS that has effect on player movement, but also the maxfps cvar value
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Tequila wrote:I guess now you can use pmoved_fixed to force the same physics for every players so every players on a public server may have the same bad physics feeling...

The purpose of pmove_fixed is to make everyone feel like playing with 125 fps --- i am not quite sure, if that would fix the rounding-"problems" in SG though, because you use a different gravity-setting than vq3.

pmove_fixed is implemented in 1.32 already and could be enabled on servers already (only admins can do that ofc)

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Previous

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel