With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

How to improve aiming and reactions? (And a suggestion)

Postby iap » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:12 pm

I would like to hear you advise about how can I improve my reactions, aiming and killing. After all I never got to kill a man with a knife by running to him doing a "psycho" thing. Or switching to the right weapon on time or anything else.

I know I know "practice practice practice" is what most of you would say, but what about some techniques?

What can you teach me, masters?

About the suggestion: How about making a tutorial, or practice map where a new gunner would go step by step and learn stuff?
iap
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:23 pm

viewtopic.php?t=1314

Really watch the people that play good. try to mimic their movement. Learn to use the "last used weapon" button. learn the maps. learn where and how to use all the weapons.

Pardner
SG Team

Re: How to improve aiming and reactions? (And a suggestion)

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:39 pm

iap wrote:About the suggestion: How about making a tutorial, or practice map where a new gunner would go step by step and learn stuff?

Very cool idea. Each one here has the same. Who will do it?
I know that Proph (the nox clan) wanted to create some basic video tuts as well. Once I'll have time I would like to do some too.
Concerning training map - that idea was shouted as loud as possible. No human resources.
There is even possibility to have all games/clan matches to be recorded, but no one shares them.. Or just don't use the ability. Good demo can help a lot.
Probably there are some demos at clan-wars forum.. But I'm not sure - haven't been there a long time too.
And basically I think if you are really into this game - you better join clan wars IRC channel to find good opponents, get answers and just discuss tactics -> irc://irc.quakenet.org/#sg.wars
As well as the nox clan channel (they play a lot in the game) -> irc://irc.quakenet.org/#q3.nox

Concerning "knife" it is pretty easy, though, once you'll see it in action. You have to crouch each time when you are very close to the opponent. And stand back once you have feel that you won't hurt him more. It is like dancing - you go to him, crouch hit as much as you can, go back and stand again.
Be aware also that if opponent is newbie than it will be much easier for you to be as much closer as possible, since untrained players just can't get used to very close combats (the close the opponent the differ will be the mouse movement).
And don't get very far from the opponent if you have only knife left. You have to be always around him.
Also be aware that going with knife against shotgun is suicide. There is no way you can deliver 100hp damage for one knife hit.

To improve your aim/reactions - play any Quake instagib game (like Qlive, for example) (use the same mouse settings as in SG). Don't play much of BR if you have lack of time and want to improve your accuracy. You have to be concentrated all-the-time. During BR you'll waste a lot of time by watching others play while you won't be shooting at all.

Fast switching to weapons is done via simple binds as in any other Q game. There is a few weapons, so no big deal to bind them. And you may find somewhere around description of a trick to bind switching to two pistols by one key.

Have fun, be cool :)
And don't ever complain :) Ask, but don't complain :) Clench your teeth and aim for hea.. legs.. :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:Concerning training map - that idea was shouted as loud as possible. No human resources.

Maybe learn to map? :wink:
Seriously though, what could you put in such a map that isn't present in the levels we already have? Imo, all of the maps are training maps... just like in any other game.

iap: Try playing dm_dry against bots with a high skill level until you know the place inside & out. Your aim & other skills should be pretty good by then.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:24 pm

There is simple aim train maps like ones for current Qlive or Q3 mods (Qlive shooting practice map).
Basically you have to move and shoot for moving targets/bots, etc.
They made to train you as much as it possible for the shortest time. They are pretty good for newbies. As well as instagib if you are only to begin to train aim.
Learning maps better from good demos or clan matches. If we are talking about learning. And if you have a lot of time - just stuck with BR on JeuxLinux. After a few weeks you'll be able to move at any map as easy as at your home town.
Playing DM in SG with bots can only give you a little warm up.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:27 pm

I'm whit red, play against the hardest bots offline and learn the maps(thats what i did). And Jeuxlinux isn't the "NooB" friendliest server out there, some people have a nasty habit of kicking players who make mistakes, and on a Dm server you cant acidently Team kill somebody :D

Another tip when doing it rambo style: try to spin around the victim and bury that Bowie in hes back!
The REAL Blackjack Ketchum
\/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_Ketchum

[R.I.P =Cowboys From Hell= Clan]
Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby iap » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:28 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:Very cool idea. Each one here has the same. Who will do it?
Concerning training map - that idea was shouted as loud as possible. No human resources.

Yeah, I know it's a sesitive subject here and in lots of Open Source projects...
If I knew how to make good maps (and had the time for it) I would have. But concerning the complexity and richness of existing maps, I think I will not be able to get to this level in a million years!
I see maps are being improved all the time, so making a new training map should be easy enough for experienced map users, as it woubt have to be as complex as the other maps.

Sadly this is my last day of vacation today, so even the little time I gad, I will no longer have.

And don't ever complain :) Ask, but don't complain :) Clench your teeth and aim for hea.. legs.. :)
I didn't complain... Did you hear me complaining? :D

It was just a suggestion, and a question for discusion. Actually, I'm pretty satisfied with my progress... 8)

ReD NeCKersoN: I'll try it. By the way I LOVE your maps! They are fantastic!

Well... "practice practice practice"...
iap
Pistolero

Postby Lucky Bro » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:13 pm

iap wrote:I didn't complain... Did you hear me complaining?

Cool, since I didn't say you were complain.
Black Jack Ketchum wrote:I'm whit red, play against the hardest bots offline and learn the maps(thats what i did).

As far as I know there is no the one right way to get good aim/reflexes. Everyone chooses the one which he feels comfort. The point is to have at least a few ways to choose from.
Black Jack Ketchum wrote:And Jeuxlinux isn't the "NooB" friendliest server out there, some people have a nasty habit of kicking players who make mistakes, and on a Dm server you cant acidently Team kill somebody

If you don't want to lose - that is one thing. If you want to learn - that is other. If you want to learn you have to play with better opponents than you. Again - it depends only on player's wish. But I wouldn't say that ignoring most popular public server here is best idea. Even if there are some unfriendly kids playing.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:But I wouldn't say that ignoring most popular public server here is best idea. Even if there are some unfriendly kids playing.

Recently vGames (DM server) became very popular too. I just wish it was switched permanently from DM to TDM as the gameplay is very accidental and chaotic when more than 10 players playing... and i doubt if you could learn aiming and playing when it happens.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:46 am

iap wrote:ReD NeCKersoN: I'll try it. By the way I LOVE your maps! They are fantastic!

Thank you! :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel