With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Smokin'Guns 1.1 video preview - 50 bots in BR ElPaso

Postby Tequila » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:32 am

:D Beta will come very soon now !!!

Tequila wrote:We got few bugs with spawn points in Smokin'Guns. Here is a preview video to show now there won't be any more problem ;)
In that video, you can see 25 bots of one team go away from the Bank Robbery spawn point without great problems. Okay, bots handling is buggy as you can see, but that means dedicated servers will support more players without troubles !!! Yep no stucking bug situation, no telefrag during respawn... That's a great new feature for next release.
More tests will tell us how many players will be supported but I think it can be near the theoritical limitation of 64 players...
Stay tuned for next Smokin'Guns update !!!

Also maybe you'll notice that video was generated with the ioQuake3 native AVI recording feature included in Smokin'Guns 1.1 branch...
But also it was recorded with anti-aliasing feature thanks to ioQuake3 features
;)

Edited to fix the subject... Thx ReD ;)
Last edited by Tequila on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:18 pm

i love the features of 1.1 ;) also that looks amazing with 50 players! lol!

also: bots are awesome playing each other :P
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Ugly » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Looking good there.

Quick question about DM spawning - has anything been done about gatling guns being stationed at spawn points?
Ugly
Pistolero

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:30 pm

Ugly wrote:Looking good there.

Quick question about DM spawning - has anything been done about gatling guns being stationed at spawn points?

good point. this gets rather annoying.....
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Re: Smokin'Guns 1.1 video preview - 50 bots in BR Mexico

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:46 am

Tequila wrote:More tests will tell us how many players will be supported but I think it can be near the theoritical limitation of 64 players...

You got 5fps? :lol: Also, that map is ElPaso... not Mexico. :P
Interesting stuff though.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby ltmon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:50 am

Congrats on the work so far. We're all looking forward to the 1.1 release!
ltmon
Drifter

Re: Smokin'Guns 1.1 video preview - 50 bots in BR ElPaso

Postby Tequila » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:21 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:You got 5fps? :lol: Also, that map is ElPaso... not Mexico. :P
Interesting stuff though.

:lol:
Well thanks ReD NeCKersoN to remind me to buy another laptop !! No seriously, this is normal. I used the ioQ3 feature of creating AVI video from recorded demo, feature included in our 1.1 engine. And you can imagine the FPS is just dropping so low when my sucking laptop start to compress the video... Normally I should have at least 50 FPS when replaying the demo...
My fault to not have disabled FPS drawing during the video record... :| :roll:

And thank you to remind me I take too much time on coding than playing :D That fact and my old age ;) just revealed you I can be sometime dyslexic...
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Hold on a second; doesn't the engine "wait" until it has drawn the requested number of frames for the avi-file (cl_aviFrameRate) while recording from a demo?
Thus you should be able to record the video with 125fps as well, it will just take longer than to just replay the demo in realtime.

About mjpeg; there was a bug with gamma, if I remember right. It didn't work in combination with compression. Does this still apply?
Anyways, you should be recording uncompressed and afterwards convert to a proper codec like h264&ogg ;)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:05 am

Ugly wrote:Looking good there.

I'm not sure but I made few tests and I didn't find any problem... You'll have to try and tell us ;) But have you more accurate information about that problem ? Can you describe what happens ?

/dev/random wrote:Hold on a second; doesn't the engine "wait" until it has drawn the requested number of frames for the avi-file (cl_aviFrameRate) while recording from a demo?
Thus you should be able to record the video with 125fps as well, it will just take longer than to just replay the demo in realtime.

About mjpeg; there was a bug with gamma, if I remember right. It didn't work in combination with compression. Does this still apply?
Anyways, you should be recording uncompressed and afterwards convert to a proper codec like h264&ogg ;)
Well, the cl_aviFrameRate forces the time between each server frame so you should just have 25FPS at max with default value.
On my sucking laptop, you should also understand it takes time to compress the video ;)
About the format, I'm just using the ioQuake3 engine default. That's easier and quickier for lazy people like me. But I agree, a proper codec would be great... But does Youtube fix the format ?
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Ugly » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:42 am

Tequila wrote:
Ugly wrote:Quick question about DM spawning - has anything been done about gatling guns being stationed at spawn points?
I'm not sure but I made few tests and I didn't find any problem... You'll have to try and tell us ;) But have you more accurate information about that problem ? Can you describe what happens ?

Happens a lot on DM_train but sometimes elsewhere too. Someone sets up a gatling gun at a spawn point. When someone spawns at that location they become half man half gatling gun. They are unable to move or activate the gun and usually get killed very quickly by someone lurking at the spawn point. I'm not playing on the latest build so I couldn't say if this has changed.
Ugly
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:37 am

Okay, in my tests with last 1.1 branch, I was always able to go away... I hope this is fixed by the little work I did on the gatling code, the entity world link-up or the stucking bug...
I hope you''ll test that quickly when the beta will be released and tell us...
Many thx in advance, beta will be released to fix such problems if they remain.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:43 pm

Youtube uses h264 in a mp4 container with aac, at least the last time I uploaded something. This means, that input's codec doesn't really matter, since it will be converted anyways. The less re-encoding youtube has to do, the better. Thus upload uncompressed jpeg&wav in an avi if possible ;)

Still I don't get why you should have low fps with compression. I can record FullHD videos with compression and high fps from within ioQuake wthout a hassle, it just takes forever.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel