With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Hiya

Postby MegaByte » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:38 pm

Hey Im new to Smokin' Guns and I gotta say I love this game :) best quake 3 mod ever imo.

I have the 1.1 source from the svn and im going to work on some more game modes Ive already got the bank robbing game mode with instant respawn and its great. I will try to make some others like throwing dynamite arround before it blows up or capture the bag or a game mode where theres like 3 bags and when a player holds a bag for 3 sec they get 1 point for their team.

I also wish to add gunpowder as a weapon to this game similar to the weapon in Time Splitters 2 I think it was on PS2 that was great fun.

Maybe if im super bored later ill make a zombie invasion for something to laugh at.

Or a single player story line and misions that would be interesting :).

Anyway thank's for this great game guys cant wait to see what more I can code into it to improve it.
MegaByte
Drifter

Postby RailedRobin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:48 pm

Hello, and welcome!

Sounds like you got some good programming skills :)
If you want, you could try and improve the bot ai, as of now, there are some weapons they can't/won't use, and other issues. Would be great if someone would improve them, I've been trying but since I'm no good at programming is kind of a dead end for me :?

Weel, anyways, welcome again, and I hope you'll enjoy the game!

Edit: Oh, and please feel free to share your work, that instant respawn BR sound interesting ;)
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:56 pm

Howdy MegaByte & welcome to the forum. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Game mode

Postby kaiyouw » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:06 am

Hi, good to know there are new players coming to SG.

About game modes, this is my last idea: Imagine a Huge, huge map, with 5 or 6 towns, connected with roads and perhaps a train line (that would be awesome). So, the players respawn at the cities, and they hunt each other. Whenever someone kills another player, he gets some money for the kill ($200 for example), and all the money the dead player had (lets say $100). But the other players get an information, on the screen or maybe pressing TAB:

- John killed Jane near city 1. He is wanted dead or alive. reward: $500

So, whoever kills John, gets his $200 + $100 + the reward for his head, $500. But the other playes get the message:

- Clint killed John near city 6. Wanted. reward: $500

So everyone will hunt him now, killng whoever they see in the way. If CLint kills another player, the reward for him gets higher, +$500

Another good idea, all the players should be able to buy information at specific places in the cities, paying some money to know the location of all the other players at that moment.

Check out this small draw i made:

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/ideas.png/

Well, I think this could really work, and it would be fun. Tell me what you guys think about this idea. See you, partners!
kaiyouw
Gunslinger

Postby MegaByte » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:20 am

Ah yes that is a very intersting idea :).

I am currently changing my mod for Bank Robbery Extreme to work for 1.1 however I can't seem to get my game modes loading in. I see them in the join menu for server select however they are not in the create part. see the spoiler for my gameinfo.txt

// Game type info
//
// description, g_gametype enum
//
// 0 - GT_DM, // deathmatch
// 1 - GT_DUEL, // duelling mode
// (2 - GT_SINGLE_PLAYER, // single player)
// 3 - GT_TEAM, // team deathmatch
// 4 - GT_RTP, // round teamplay
// 5 - GT_BR, // bank robbery
// 6 - GT_CTF, // capture the flag
// 7 - GT_BRX, // bank robbery x
// 8 - GT_GTB, // get the bag
// 9 - GT_HP, // hot potato
// 10 - GT_BT, // Bounty

joingametypes {
{ "All" -1 }
{ "Deathmatch" 0 }
{ "Duel" 1 }
{ "Team Deathmatch" 3 }
{ "Round Teamplay" 4 }
{ "Bank Robbery" 5 }
{ "Capture The Flag" 6 }
{ "Bank Robbery X" 7 }
{ "Get The bag" 8 }
{ "Hot Potato" 9 }
{ "Bounty" 10 }
}

gametypes {
{ "Deathmatch" 0 }
{ "Duel" 1 }
{ "Team Deathmatch" 3 }
{ "Round Teamplay" 4 }
{ "Bank Robbery" 5}
{ "Capture The Flag" 6 }
{ "Bank Robbery X" 7 }
{ "Get The bag" 8 }
{ "Hot Potato" 9 }
{ "Bounty" 10 }
}

If anyone has played combat arms then you will know of a game mode called Fireteam for those of you who have not its a mission bassed mode co-op. You and your team mates battle against computer ai and make your way through the level. Your dead team mates get revived at checkpoints when a team mate reach's them. You have time limit to complete the mission and there are some parts that are diffrent each time you play for example you might have to go and rob a safe but it might be on the left side at spot A not spot C or B etc.

As for improving the bot AI, correct me if i am wrong as i have not fully looked at the code for it yet but it seems from a quick game that they do not play the Bank Robbery mode correctly. They treat it as a team deathmatch and try to kill the other team rather than get the bag etc. I have also noticed they suffer from door glitch's and can also walk into each other and get stuck. I suggest either making them smarter and avoiding each other or only letting one open a door at once or remove the clipping on each other so bots can walk through each other if they are stuck for too long.

Anyway :P Back to coding if anyone knows how to fix my issue with the game mode's not showing in the ui for server creation let me know :P if you want to contact me on msn it is megabyte@nzgames.net.nz

Edit: And yes I will be releasing the code and a pak file for my mod later when it is polished off and working how i want.

I have added
Code: Select all
trap_Print( va( "Host Game Type: %s Loaded\n", uiInfo.gameTypes[uiInfo.numGameTypes].gameType ) );
into ui_main.c to print out a list of game type's loaded and it only ever seems to load the first 6 in the gameinfo.txt under game. I think it may be hard coded somewhere.. not sure.
MegaByte
Drifter

Postby MegaByte » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:45 am

On a side note I got annoyed at the func_train for not turning like a train would when it gets to path_corner's so ive started coding it to have the option to turn corner's changing the angle of the train. It works two ways. You can set the angles in the path_corner's or make it point to the next path_corner by changing the func_train's statusflag. I am still working on code to have a smoother transition between corner's with tweening as well as after that the ability to set the train to smoothly turn to point to a target or another brush that can move also. I may also add a func_train_carriage entity to bind sequental parts of a train to each other to have them following arround the engine of the train on a track. Im also going to look over the ai code from a few other quake 3 mod's that have a nice ai to see how I can improve the smokin gun's ai. I have also setup GtkRadiant 1.6 and had a go with it its fun but frustrating. Made a cannon that fire's dynamite I may change this later to a cannon ball and add it as a weapon on the map which can be mounted on train's or boats etc, should be able to make two pirate ships that circle each other and have cannon's you can use to blow holes in the opposite ship.
MegaByte
Drifter

Postby RailedRobin » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:51 pm

MegaByte wrote:On a side note I got annoyed at the func_train for not turning like a train would when it gets to path_corner's so ive started coding it to have the option to turn corner's changing the angle of the train. It works two ways. You can set the angles in the path_corner's or make it point to the next path_corner by changing the func_train's statusflag. I am still working on code to have a smoother transition between corner's with tweening as well as after that the ability to set the train to smoothly turn to point to a target or another brush that can move also. I may also add a func_train_carriage entity to bind sequental parts of a train to each other to have them following arround the engine of the train on a track. Im also going to look over the ai code from a few other quake 3 mod's that have a nice ai to see how I can improve the smokin gun's ai. I have also setup GtkRadiant 1.6 and had a go with it its fun but frustrating. Made a cannon that fire's dynamite I may change this later to a cannon ball and add it as a weapon on the map which can be mounted on train's or boats etc, should be able to make two pirate ships that circle each other and have cannon's you can use to blow holes in the opposite ship.

Sounds great! I especially like the part with the pirates :wink:
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Ah, it really seems to after all your posts, that you are a talented programmer :D
Good to hear for SG. :D
And hi and welcome. :D
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:39 pm

MegaByte wrote:I am still working on code to have a smoother transition between corner's with tweening as well as after that the ability to set the train to smoothly turn to point to a target or another brush that can move also. I may also add a func_train_carriage entity to bind sequental parts of a train to each other to have them following arround the engine of the train on a track. Im also going to look over the ai code from a few other quake 3 mod's that have a nice ai to see how I can improve the smokin gun's ai.

Hey, hey! Now yer talking! Glad to see you're coding some interesting stuff & the bot ai desperately needs help.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel