With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

We need an Indian

Postby Mart Duggan » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:17 pm

One thing I would like to see in this game is an Indian character.

Of course there would have to be special weapons only an Indian could buy. Tomahawk, spear, bow and arrow, perhaps in place of pistols. (Anyone ever hear of an Indian using pistols? They did use rifles when they could get their hands on them.)

I have no idea if this is even feasible. But I love the idea of bringing Captain Jack or Geronimo back to life and taking a few scalps!
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby RailedRobin » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:26 pm

Having an indian is possible, as long as someone takes the time to make one. Having weapons only the indian can use might be harder, how much harder I don't know, 'cause I'm not a programmer, at least not when it comes to c++.
But it would be possible to make several different classes, each class having a pre-set equipment (like in Team Fortress Classic) where one of these classes could be an indian. This would be cool, but I think most people would feel it alters the gameplay too much. However, it would be really nice if someone did this as a mod :wink:

Having an indian (and just more player models in general) would be awesome. Although this requires that someone (it's always someone) with the right skills would take the time to make one. Here's to hoping this community gets a couple of skilled 3d-modellers.
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby MegaByte » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:29 am

I was thinking the very same thing yesterday ive noticed that most cs or q3 mod's / games have only 2 teams what if we were the "first" to have 3 :D.

Also rather than calling them Indians call them Natives or how ever you spell it it is more correct :) and less offensive :P
MegaByte
Drifter

Postby RailedRobin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:27 pm

MegaByte wrote:I was thinking the very same thing yesterday ive noticed that most cs or q3 mod's / games have only 2 teams what if we were the "first" to have 3 :D.

Also rather than calling them Indians call them Natives or how ever you spell it it is more correct :) and less offensive :P

Yea, we'll have to hurry though, as OpenArena is working on incorporating several teams in their game :wink: (just like in Q3 Team Arena).

But why stop at only 3 teams? There could be a set of lawmen models, only available to the lawmen team, a set of outlaws, a set of townsfolk, miners, mountainmen, natives and so on. I think that the only limitation is modellers :(
Would be great to have some kind of civil war-mod or similar, where all models are either yankees or rednecks.
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Mart Duggan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:19 am

How can it be okay to call Southerners rednecks but we can't call an Indian, an Indian? Indians probably prefer to be called by their tribal name, i.e. they are Sioux or Comanche, not native American. That is just another term, like Indian, used by others to categorize them. What's the difference? Redneck, on the other hand, is defined as a poorly educated or ill mannered southerner. I will never stop calling Indians, Indians, and I will never stop calling yankees idiots.

No offense. :P
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby SmokeyBacon » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:30 pm

Mart Duggan wrote:How can it be okay to call Southerners rednecks but we can't call an Indian, an Indian?

I think he's referring to the fact that calling them Indians makes no sense in the first place, since it comes from what the first explorers called them when they thought that they had reached the East Indies rather than an entire new continent.
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby Mart Duggan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:03 pm

Perhaps but I also consider myself a native American. My ancestors have been on this continent over 400 years. But I am not an Indian. The word Indian has been used for Americans who came here first through Alaska for hundreds of years. It is not a derogatory term. "Cowboy" to me sounds much worse than "Indian". Think about it. Maybe we should refer to "cowboys" as "Bovine Attendants"? Political correctness is an unfortunate part of our lives IMO.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby ^SDE^Evans » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:32 pm

It's something to think about :D
^SDE^Evans
Shootist

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:26 am

I was born on an big indian reservation and have lived here most of my life. Indians call themselves Indians. Ya, it's a misnomer in the first place, but so is "Native American", since all of the existing tribes came from another place originally. So "Indian" has become as politically correct as anything. Of course there is pride in individual tribal affiliations. That goes way back! But a big Powwow might include dozens of different tribes. "White" or "Caucasian" is even more generic. I've rarely been called a "norwegian". I tried to model a Chief Lone Watie some time ago, but I didn't have any experience with the animation, so he came out goofy. Sure would be fun, though!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel