With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Big Change idea.

Postby BlackMagicSS » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:03 am

Hey guys. I dont post here much. But i love the game. And i think it has great potential. The west is one my favorite time periods.

But i was thinking. We all know this game does not have good graphics and the physics arent the best. So why not change to the Source engine. Mods are easy to make for it. And overall it would just put out a better game. I know it would mean pretty much re-doing the whole game. But i think it would be worth it. It would definitely bring thte game to more people. And with Steam would be easier to play.

I love this game, and im just trying to help. So let me know if this a horrible idea. haha.
BlackMagicSS
Drifter

Postby Bodie » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:31 am

It's done already. 1.1 will be based on IoQuake3.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby dowoshek » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:58 am

rane wrote:It's done already. 1.1 will be based on IoQuake3.

Different kind of 'source' is the subject i guess :lol: It's HL2 engine.

BTW, when can we expect 1.1 to be released... if one of The Team is reading this post? :)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:03 pm

Changing to the IoQ3 engine did not require use to change any of our content. Tequila did most of the change, but it is still essentially the same engine (id Tech 3). Switching to the HL2 engine would require all the content to be recreated: maps, textures, models, etc. Also, the switch would require the game code to be recreated. There is already western themed HL2 mods in various levels of completion:
http://www.google.com/search?q=hl2+west ... =firefox-a

dowoshek wrote:BTW, when can we expect 1.1 to be released... if one of The Team is reading this post? :)

We've had some major delays in the release. 1.1b4 basically has all the features you will see in the final release except for a few more administrator tools.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:39 pm

You'd also lose all of your Linux fans, since Valve gives a shit about them. Surprisingly there is a Mac client after all.

Apart from that, Smokin' Guns does not aim to be a realistic game, but a fun western shooter.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby SmokeyBacon » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Pardner wrote:1.1b4 basically has all the features you will see in the final release except for a few more administrator tools.

Well 1.1b4 was released late January, the better part of a year ago, and with no sign of 1.1 yet, why is it taking so long if there is little more to change? I mean no offense to the developers, but the longer you take the more damage is done to the playerbase. Over the past year I've seen a lot of the longtime players and regulars leave the game because of the pretty much static development. Clan activity has dived down (My own clan was for a long time until very recently pretty much dead in the water).
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby Sucalakafufu » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:58 am

SmokeyBacon wrote:
Pardner wrote:1.1b4 basically has all the features you will see in the final release except for a few more administrator tools.

Well 1.1b4 was released late January, the better part of a year ago, and with no sign of 1.1 yet, why is it taking so long if there is little more to change? I mean no offense to the developers, but the longer you take the more damage is done to the playerbase. Over the past year I've seen a lot of the longtime players and regulars leave the game because of the pretty much static development. Clan activity has dived down (My own clan was for a long time until very recently pretty much dead in the water).

I actually don't see many of the old active players playing much anymore. I agree with Smokey. The player base has gone down very drastically. I am discouraged to play most times since whenever I check there are maybe 2 people online :/
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:11 am

SmokeyBacon wrote:Well 1.1b4 was released late January, the better part of a year ago, and with no sign of 1.1 yet, why is it taking so long if there is little more to change? I mean no offense to the developers, but the longer you take the more damage is done to the playerbase.

Its been out for over a year and no one ever plays the beta even though it is almost full featured. The proposed admin tools will attempt to stop the recent cheating on the servers which as spread faster than your common cold.

Sucalakafufu wrote:I am discouraged to play most times since whenever I check there are maybe 2 people online :/

1.1b4 or 1.0? 9PM ET and there is 11 people playing. Bad example but hey, it is 9PM... during the day there can be upwards to ~50
Pardner
SG Team

Postby dowoshek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:35 am

Pardner wrote:Its been out for over a year and no one ever plays the beta even though it is almost full featured. The proposed admin tools will attempt to stop the recent cheating on the servers which as spread faster than your common cold.

I guess, that's because this game is alive on 3 servers only (ballerbude, jeux and rawhide) - all 3 running 1.0. If none of them will change to 1.1 nobody will play/test it - the community is too small.
If you think b4 is reliable enough... we could ask admins of those servers to run 1.1b4 or just make a trick and rename it to official 1.1 and wait what's gonna happen ;) After much more thorough testing on these servers you'll have much more information for 1.1.1 or 1.2 release ;)
I understand the main problem is still your time (finally, you spend your private time on this 'job') so maybe you should really consider one of the above scenarios. I guess it'd be better for the game than keeping it at 1.0 for longer time because of admin tools - I guess cheaters just can't be a bigger problem in 1.1b4 than in 1.0...
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 am

We are hoping to release an official version 1.1 before Christmas. Possibly sooner, but we'll have to wait & see.

As for development beyond that... we really need some fresh, SKILLED contributors with the time & energy. Probably this will be addressed in the news when 1.1 comes out. The remaining "active" devs are sort of discussing what we might try in order to attract fresh developers.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:56 am

Pardner wrote:1.1b4 or 1.0? 9PM ET and there is 11 people playing. Bad example but hey, it is 9PM... during the day there can be upwards to ~50

i check when i have time but usually the most that are playing might be 15. i havent seen 50 for awhile 0_0 maybe i dont check enough anymore since i usually see 2 or 3 players on heh :roll:
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:11 pm

Pardner wrote:Its been out for over a year and no one ever plays the beta even though it is almost full featured.

I am always playing the beta (clientside). But i do understand that a lot of ppl don't, because:
- When using Beta, you won't ever participate in the first play-round, since it loads so terribly slow after a mapchange.
- The sound (staying at default settings) is terrible.

I think there are more issues, but since i am playing the beta since it's out, i can't recall what else changed to the negative from 1.0 to 1.1b4.

But all issues were definately discussed here, or in IRC with the devs.

A beta of course doesn't have to run perfectly yet, but it's understandable that players stick to the old versions as long as the betas don't run smooth.

The proposed admin tools will attempt to stop the recent cheating on the servers which as spread faster than your common cold.

I am not trying to sound like a smartass, but i warned the dev-team almost a year before a group of german kids discovered cheats. Back then i tried to make you (devs) believe, that the game needs Admin-tools asap to be settled, as soon as the cheating / extensive laming begins.
Your answer was something like "SG got a little community who just want to have fun; cheats won't get an issue in near future".

Now we got cheaters, and no tool - from official side - to do anything against it, hence not even bans work.

Sucalakafufu wrote:I am discouraged to play most times since whenever I check there are maybe 2 people online :/

1.1b4 or 1.0? 9PM ET and there is 11 people playing. Bad example but hey, it is 9PM... during the day there can be upwards to ~50

I didn't play that much myself lately, but i had the feeling that we had more players / active servers during summer, than now. And usually player-numbers totally drop in summer, but recover soon after.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 pm

moRtem wrote:- When using Beta, you won't ever participate in the first play-round, since it loads so terribly slow after a mapchange.
- The sound (staying at default settings) is terrible.

Yes the sound is bothersome, but I don't have the map problem. I use the beta and I can get in on the first round no problem. Maybe the beta does add some time and I haven't noticed it yet.

moRtem wrote:I am not trying to sound like a smartass, but i warned the dev-team almost a year before a group of german kids discovered cheats. Back then i tried to make you (devs) believe, that the game needs Admin-tools asap to be settled, as soon as the cheating / extensive laming begins.
Your answer was something like "SG got a little community who just want to have fun; cheats won't get an issue in near future".

The admin tools have been in development since that incident. We have been very very hush hush on the existence of cheats (deleting posts, moving things into private threads, etc), hence the vague public response. We really didn't want to announce "SG got a little development team who just want to have fun; cheats are our fear but we dont have the resources to battle them" .... so you got "SG got a little community who just want to have fun; cheats won't get an issue in near future" instead :/ Kinda like keeping your gloves up in boxing.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:04 am

Pardner wrote:I use the beta and I can get in on the first round no problem. Maybe the beta does add some time and I haven't noticed it yet.

Ok, then i guess beta just needs longer to load, and my laptop can't handle it in time (with 1.0 i always had been one of the first players who joined a team after mapchange though).

I don't think this is a big issue though.
But as soon as everyone is running 1.1 this loading-time either needs to be reduced, or the time between mapchange and gamestart needs to be increased by a few seconds.

The admin tools have been in development since that incident.

This is a statement! -- Hope you get 1.1 ready soon.

Kinda like keeping your gloves up in boxing.

Shannon Briggs :>

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel