With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

(SPLIT) SG's future?

Postby metalliclops » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:43 am

guys, i don't know if you're at all familiar with social networking, but i set up a basic facebook page. if you have an account, check the box that says "keep me logged in" and then sign into your profile. then open a new tab and open the url :
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smoking-G ... 1145368#!/
~ (dx) (sayyad) CLOPS
metalliclops
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:15 am

Got an SG facebook group here:
http://www.facebook.com/tulsasmokinguns ... 5363501571
though it doesn't get much love on a regular basis.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

bad news

Postby metalliclops » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:27 am

Alright well i'm forseeing some future problems:
1. attendance has dropped dramatically in the servers since i started playing in november. If one wants to play after 9 pm, there are virtually no players until about 2 am when it's morning in germany. That essentially eliminates tons of players because nobody is gonna sit around and play with bots for ages until people join.
2. The game is unfriendly to new gamers. Not everyone is ready to get a game like 1.1. I've taken every computer class that's been offered at my high school and i'm certified in multiple autodesk programs, and i still have no idea what pard talks about when it comes to properly installing that version. Also, having to manually enter server ip addresses is a horrible inconvenience.
3. There needs to be more updates, because we are more and more rapidly losing players to other, more user friendly mmofps's like urban terror, america's army, and a few others.
I'm solely playing the devil's advocate here. we need to have a meeting and get our stuff together before it's just you, me, amazon, pardner, and hoss.....plus or minus a few aimbots.
~ (dx) (sayyad) CLOPS
metalliclops
Drifter

Postby Mart Duggan » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:50 am

Certainly there are things that could be done to SG to improve the quality of the gameplay. However, since that involves some serious computer programming skills, I am about as useful as a pot of warm piss.

So get yourself into computer school and write us a better shootin' game. And anybody else out there who knows the difference between a computer bug and just a plain old varmint bug, hitch up your britches and get to work. I put my money on the table to help this game. I've seen how lotsa guntotin' SG lovers have put their heart and soul into the game. Now ain't the time to slow down! The gaming world's aturnin' and we got to keep up with it or we gonna get rubbed out! Giddyup! :D
The Hoss - Rawhide part owner
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:12 am

Metalliclops, I'm guessing you meant well but your post comes across as a little harsh. Partially due to the fact that you only have 3 posts & therefore aren't known well here.

1) Usually plenty of Brazillian players around. Their time zone is close to yours. The Rawhide server fills up most evenings. Several other US servers that see action. Ever try playing a little earlier than 9pm?
2) I know people who use Autodesk products that can't figure out how to create a new text document by themselves. Seriously. He sits right next to me at work & I hold his hand every time his printer needs ink. And I'm not knocking your credentials. I use Autocad & similar software all day, every work day, all year. I'm just saying that at a minimum, some expectations are required to be met by the end user. If someone doesn't know how to correctly extract a zip file is that our fault? Though we do go out of our way to help if asked.
3) Yes, we could use more updates. I won't argue with that. Most of us on the dev team have been out of high school for ten, twenty, or more years so I hope you can appreciate the fact that we work for a living & have real life obligations. When you sit at a pc all day long for money, it can be tough to get motivated to do the same thing for free in spare time. Improvements seem to come in spurts around here, though not lately unless you count tutorials & a few projects here & there. That's just the way it is. My initial goal when ICI turned over this game to us was just to keep it alive. All of the updates released since WQ3 version 2.0 is just icing on the cake in my eyes. Frankly, I never imagined it would grow as much as it has. The next official version will be released when it's deemed ready & not before. Sorry if it's overdue. The 1.1b4 is available until then.
Talented game developers with plenty of free time, enthusiasm, & respect for the game would be nice. I don't see a line of volunteers. If there's something you can do to contribute, other than suggest a meeting or create a facebook page, get off the soap box & show us something worthy. And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :)
My in game server browser works fine, though apparantly some folks have trouble. Monster Browser is extremely handy & works fine as well. Perhaps your firewall needs investigating?

Thanks for voicing your concerns, opinions, ideas. It's a good thing! Although, I would have preferred a new topic for it in the saloon rather than a 5 year old news post.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:19 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Partially due to the fact that you only have 3 posts & therefore aren't known well here.

In Clop's defense, he is on the server's at least a couple hours a day. He is more well known for his gun slinging than his web slinging.

metalliclops wrote:Alright well i'm forseeing some future problems:...

Problems yes, but attendance is still more than it was in WQ3 2.2 days. If you want new updates you really need to get the new beta. I have been playing on [BACON]'s new 1.1 server and having fun. We have a whole forum dedicated to testing 1.1. The more feedback you can give use about the current version, the better the next version will be. If you have problems installing the new beta, please post and ask for help. It is a lot easier posting help on the forums than it is describing how to do it while in game.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Although, I would have preferred a new topic for it in the saloon rather than a 5 year old news post.

If this turns into a discussion, lets split the thread.
Pardner
SG Team

help

Postby metalliclops » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:36 am

I navigate this webpage like a blind man at daytona motor speedway; rather haphazardly. If you could give me a url that leads me to a good forum post for me to "ministering", if you will. Also i have the game successfully installed, and i have in fact used the bacon server, although i need to download the rest of the maps, like tijuana, which seems to be a favorite.

Also, my financial resources are somewhat limited and am forced to use a laptop with a p4 processor and windows xp, since im 17 and i work at a dinky hardware store with a tightwad owner that refuses to pay any of us adecquate wages for our work. Regardless, i will do anything in my power to help. One big thing too is that i have two copies of the game installed and my x-fire browser is very unclear about which version it's using.

My laptop is defaultly set up in such a way that the 60 gb hd is partitioned as a 10gb, where all the program files "automatically" go, and a 50 gb area where nothing goes.

When it opens sg, it loads like the new version, with a clear video and better colors, but it loads the servers and seems a little laggy. I'm not willing to dig deep into multiple programs to play on one server. It's just a big mess i suppose.

Anyway, i do appreciate all feedback i can get, but i more of a chat guy, as opposed to a forum "tag" guy, or even email because it goes to my black berry.
~ (dx) (sayyad) CLOPS
metalliclops
Drifter

Postby Bodie » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:17 am

What helped in Europe was organizing regular clan game tournaments that made people a bit more serious about the game and more organized. It helped maintain the interest over extended periods of time. I don't think USA had a tournament since Pardner's in 2009...

Shopping list for a tourney:
- 4-6 clans ready to play with players who know how to shoot and use /record. (there's plenty, DEST, STI, SDE, DX, BACON, maybe Rawhide admin team (me, Pard, ReD and Hoss since other admins are SDE), maybe some European clans will join regardless of lag too).
- A server set with clan game rules (we can share #sg.wars config for that).
- 2-3 referees to watch the games and make sure rules are followed.
- A month of propaganda so clans sign up and find time to play.
- An IRC channel to organize the thing and answer all the tricky questions about it.

We run three formats in Europe, 1 day clan tournament (everyone has to play all games on one set day), 2-3 week long league (clans can set up matches between each other at any fitting date within set timeframe), nations cup (no clans, people play for national teams instead like football World Cup). I think league is easiest to organize since you don't need 40 people to come on one day - it shifts lots of effort on the shoulders of clan leaders.

It's not that hard to organize and it really helps "animate" the community.
SG names: Bodie (aka mS // Donnie).
Admin on Jeuxlinux, RAWHIDE, #sg.wars and some other servers.
Bodie
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: help

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:34 pm

metalliclops wrote:If you could give me a url that leads me to a good forum post for me to "ministering", if you will.

I split the previous topic & moved the relevant discussions here.
You can find the Tijuana map HERE.
You can play on all servers with beta 1.1b4
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

alright

Postby metalliclops » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:59 am

we should have a schedule of when each of us can use 1.1 so that we dont have to use 1.0 to tell them to come to 1.1.
Is there any way we can make that happen?
~ (dx) (sayyad) CLOPS
metalliclops
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:12 am

you know that the current 1.1b4 version is backwards compatible with 1.0 verisons right? You can join and play on 1.0 servers while using the 1.1b4 binaries and files. You dont need to have separate versions installed or worry about switching version to play on specific servers.
Pardner
SG Team

problems

Postby metalliclops » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:25 am

maybe it's my computer, but it lags too much to play. it froze every time i went up the stairs on cobber.
~ (dx) (sayyad) CLOPS
metalliclops
Drifter

Postby moRtem » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:19 am

Pardner wrote:you know that the current 1.1b4 version is backwards compatible with 1.0 verisons right? You can join and play on 1.0 servers while using the 1.1b4 binaries and files.

You'll always miss the first round though, since 1.1b4 is taking ages to load.

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Did you try increasing com_hunkMegs, comZoneMegs, com_soundMegs?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby moRtem » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:05 am

/dev/random wrote:Did you try increasing com_hunkMegs, comZoneMegs, com_soundMegs?

thx for the advise, but i already got that.
moRtem
Gunslinger

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel