With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Monster Browser 0.8 is Released!

Postby torhu » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:31 am

An new year, a new Monster Browser :D

No big changes or additions, but I felt it was time for a release. The most noticeable change is probably that MB now uses the Windows 7 progress display on taskbar feature. And when the master server is down, MB won't be a total pain in the rear by just dumping the old server list anymore.

The zip download is now configured to run in portable mode by default.

Download links, more info, etc.

Code: Select all
v0.8 - 2012-01-01
-----------------
- New: Display progress on the task bar in Windows 7.
- Change: Keep the old server list if unable to retrieve a new on from the
          master.
- Change: Infinity signs changed to use red font, to make it easier to see
  server that timed out.
- Change: More informative status bar messages when checking for new servers.
- Fix: Password was not used when joining. Thanks to rane for reporting this.
- Fix: MB had problems with servers with certain characters (like '&') in their
       name.

The new color codes that are used in the SG 1.1 betas are supported in the same way as in 0.7. They're not used by default, since SG 1.1 isn't final yet. They can be enabled by adding 'colortest' (without the quotes) to MB's command line.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Joe Kari » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Nice!
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:22 pm

How much work would it be to add a facility to filter for server names?

Does MB support favorites?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:41 am

I remember thinking about a filter feature that would work something like the one in Gamespy Arcade, but it might be a little too much work to get it working.

Favorites would be a lot easier, I think. I could just add it as an extra filter button. If it's enabled, only your favorites are shown. Maybe they could be in bold type. Is that close to what you have in mind, or do you have another suggestion? How would you use it, and for which game?
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:06 pm

torhu wrote:A filter feature might be a little too much work to get it working.
Such a functionality would consist of a text field, some events and a filter on the data model. It all depends on what classes/library/framework you're using. There even might be code examples which you could adapt.

torhu wrote:Favorites would be a lot easier, I think. I could just add it as an extra filter button. If it's enabled, only your favorites are shown. Maybe they could be in bold type. Is that close to what you have in mind, or do you have another suggestion? How would you use it, and for which game?
Usually, favorites are a list of known servers (IP + port) across different games you want to monitor, to help you decide, which game you actually want to play without querying any masterlist or inspecting thousands of entries. Favorites are used to get a fast overview about servers you already know, while filtering is once in a while used to find new servers of a certain flavor.

A good example is xqf on Linux. Note the favorites is organized like a meta game entry, showing all favorite servers. The Quick filter is used to supress all non-matching servers.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:00 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Such a functionality would consist of a text field, some events and a filter on the data model. It all depends on what classes/library/framework you're using. There even might be code examples which you could adapt.
Thanks a lot for assuming I'm completely clueless :roll:

TheDoctor wrote:Usually, favorites are a list of known servers (IP + port) across different games you want to monitor, to help you decide, which game you actually want to play without querying any masterlist or inspecting thousands of entries. Favorites are used to get a fast overview about servers you already know, while filtering is once in a while used to find new servers of a certain flavor.

MB only supports a very limited selection of games, which I suppose would limit the value of such a feature?
TheDoctor wrote:A good example is xqf on Linux. Note the favorites is organized like a meta game entry, showing all favorite servers. The Quick filter is used to supress all non-matching servers.

Does the quick filter work on all columns? Can you use expressions like "ping < 50" or does it have equivalent functionality? The filter in GS Arcade has a field at the top of each column, which is very flexible, but needs more UI and code.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:41 pm

torhu wrote:Does the quick filter work on all columns? Can you use expressions like "ping < 50" or does it have equivalent functionality?
A row is shown, if all space-separated words of the quick filter field are contained in any of the following cells: name, IP address, map, game and game type.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:11 pm

Ok, thanks.
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Barto » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Nice to see some support of that awesome software I use everyday. :roll:

Just one thing it might be useful to add:
When I use the remote console option, I'm always sad to not be able to see the old input/output I typed in the past. Why not making a simple way to watch the commands history (.log file)?
It should store the server's IP, date and time, the command you typed and maybe the output you got from it.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel