With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Postby /dev/random » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:53 pm

Biondo wrote:I didn't know of this option before, but I suppose it could be done writing for instance:
seta server1 "212.65.13.87:27960"
in your q3config.cfg file.
I tried just now, but it doesn't show up in game server list. What am I doing wrong?

SG doesn't use the same method as the Quake3 ingame serverbrowser. I assume you'd have to run the e.g. createFavorite ui script or directly edit servercache.dat.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Bart202 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:34 am

Hi!

@ Pardner: I can understand you but it would be very important if you would play sometimes online & really funny_!
Also I think you are doing a really good work on your maps & allround. Your feedback will come when your maps are totally included and played .. but for that you have to bring the 1.1 .. and I'm waiting so long for it.. I know it's hard .. but you can bring 1 time full power devs and work .. and work. There should be an aim. And the 1.1b4 is also very great. Don't loose your hope!

Maybe you can publish your aimings .. I am sure there are many programmers & informatics which would do some of it.
Maybe also plans fornew maps.

We need a new masterserver, as mouly said other games have fixed that already --> can't be so difficult.
If 1.1 will be out most sg players will come back .. that never came an update were reasons of players I know to stop the game ..
I am still hoping!

Bart
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:50 am

Bart202 wrote:but you can bring 1 time full power devs and work .. and work. There should be an aim.

I am sure every of the devs has done some "1 time full power " FAR more than once.

Bart202 wrote:Maybe you can publish your aimings .. I am sure there are many programmers & informatics which would do some of it.

I agree that more publicity in terms of roadmaps, technical documentation, etc. would help to attract devs. There is however some of that stuff - and it is hardly used by any of the community at all.

Bart202 wrote:We need a new masterserver, as mouly said other games have fixed that already --> can't be so difficult.

No, it is in fact not difficult. In fact it is so easy, everyone can do it. If they just made the effort to use google. That however requires to feel some kind of responsibility for the project. If all the guys who came complaining here or in the #jeuxlinux channel, took that time and effort to try and solve the problem, we could have a 100 master servers by now :D

Dansh has posted information on his master server in this forum on Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:50 pm and nobody took notice. I have to say i did not either, shame on me. But the fact that this information has not spread through the community during a period of two weeks is symptomatic. Few people care to read the forums. They just wait until someone spells it all out for them.

So, as of now there are two dedicated SG master servers, which is good. One has been up for 22 days, one has been up for a week or so.

Bart202 wrote:If 1.1 will be out most sg players will come back .. that never came an update were reasons of players I know to stop the game ..

Hardly anyone is playing the 1.1b4 servers. Also, anyone can build the most current release themselves if they care to. I could run a server running the bleeding edge version of sg immediatley. In fact it is ready and configured and only needs to be started. Would anyone care to play it and report bugs? I tend to not believe so ...

-----------

Bart, dont get me wrong, i am not picking on you personally. What you express here, however, is totally symptomatic of one of the problems i see with the SG community.

Community. That is the thing. Smokin Guns is a community project. This means that every progress that the game is supposed to make, has to be driven by the community.

Sadly a lot of the players obviously dont get this at all or dont get this to an extend where they would realize the consequences. In fact there is a lot of consumerism attitude towards developers, admins, mappers, ...

"Please make this", (often even lacking the "please") doesnt get stuff done. Feedback is important, ideas are important - but there is nothing to be demanded of anyone who sacrifices a lot of free time on this (or any) project.

If someone is not satisfied with anything - change it - it is a community project. And yeah, every individual is part of the community, why always try to load the work on someone else?!

If you've been bad - Lord I bet you have

And you've not been hit by flying lead

You'd better close your eyes, bow your head

Wait for the ricochet

ricochet
Quick Draw

Re: This is the end...

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:38 pm

Pardner wrote:I think I speak for most if not all the dev team... I lost motivation to keep working on SG when we started having to ban players. Its not just the cheating but the total and utter disrespect for other players. We used to have a good buch of players on, but now I have no interest in playing because of the childish players that are on now.

That's one of the numerous reason why I am rarely online nowadays, and one of the numerous reason why I never play with my real nickname anymore.

Back in the good old Western Q3 days, people were very respectful, in many years I only saw 2 cheaters (yes, really), most people were playing for fun, and didn't take it too seriously, little few bad losers, etc, etc...

After performing a good move, you were praised... now I'm suspected of cheating every time I make a good tactical move.

Also some people are not as kind in game as they look like here, in the forum.

That being said, everything is not so dark.

There are some new faces that do a great job. Baller Bude team (*LAME* clan for example) are really good guys, even when you pop up with an unknown nickname (like I do all the time). Few gunfight with you guys (and girls, Sarah is really challenging ;)) remembered me the good old time: nice skillz but just for fun.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:12 pm

Wow, Joe this made my day. A great thank you for your words from me and (I'm sure) from all BB's team and the whole *LAME* clan. This pays me back of all the time spent with a certain view of what the game should be. I have to repost your comment in clan blog... may I?

What I really see now, is the urgency to publish a game update with a new masterserver. We can't wait that every newcomer tweaks his q3config with the new masterservers addresses. I'm asking to devs, is this possible?

Joe, Alamo (Alamo2 included) is the best map ever seen in SG along all times (also when it lags) ;)
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Biondo wrote:Wow, Joe this made my day. A great thank you for your words from me and (I'm sure) from all BB's team and the whole *LAME* clan. This pays me back of all the time spent with a certain view of what the game should be. I have to repost your comment in clan blog... may I?

You are welcome ;)

Biondo wrote:What I really see now, is the urgency to publish a game update with a new masterserver. We can't wait that every newcomer tweaks his q3config with the new masterservers addresses. I'm asking to devs, is this possible?

I know...
There is no big secret: almost all Devs are more or less inactive.

I don't want to let the game die, but there are things I can do, and other that I can't.
We definitively need new blood.

Biondo wrote:Joe, Alamo (Alamo2 included) is the best map ever seen in SG along all times (also when it lags) ;)

Thanks alot, I hope you will like the last gameplay changes I have made in the latest version. ;)

Also, I should mention that my fellow mapper deserve some greetings too... there are some great actions possible in those map which I am a little jealous of ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Joe Kari wrote:I should mention that my fellow mapper deserve some greetings too...

Of course your brother Coup' George deserves our best greetings too!! Sorry for not having mentioned him in my previous comment. Great work, both!
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:12 am

Thanks for my bro', but I was talking about others mappers :P

For example, I'm a big fan of Hang'em High, I love the various possibilities it offers... I love map where you can fool your opponent, and HeH is the perfect map for that.

So, my recent changes into Alamo aimed toward more tricks, more possibilities, more jumps, a more dynamic and open gameplay, with Hang'em High in mind.

Also few people knows that ReD Neckerson was my personal master. I learnt the basics of mapping thanks to his personnal course.

Others are great too: the perfectionism of Breli, the inventiveness of Pardner... All are source of inspiration. They all help me a lot when I still was a noob :)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Juaro Juarez » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:04 am

You guys almost named all my favorite maps up until now.
Joe, Alamo is great, one of the bigger reasons i'm waiting for 1.1 for like 2 years now, is the update that is going to be done on Alamo ;) ( alamo is my fav. BR map )

hang em is a great map as well, not so much on BR, but a great DM map ;),
but don't forget about maps like Farm or Backwater, which are great when you're more than 10 people. :)
-nox-Juaro-

Admin on Jeuxlinux.
Juaro Juarez
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Biondo » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:22 am

Joe Kari wrote:Thanks for my bro', but I was talking about others mappers :P

Ha, OK :) But I've never missed an occasion to praise other good mappers, "old school" ones (ReD, Pardner, ...) and "new school" ones (Lon, Donut, Steve ...)

Thanks to all for all the fun!
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Re: This is the end...

Postby sqn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:32 pm

This is the end.... bye myrmida pussy
sqn
Drifter

Previous

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar