With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Some news from Joe Kari

Postby Joe Kari » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi there,

It's been a very long time I haven't been there.
My life has changed a lot for the last months, and now I have a son!
He was born on May 1st, and his name is Trystan ;)

Now I have a family, and a lot of things to do with that.

I'm not saying goodbye, but there are very little chances that I could get involved with the game anymore.

Also, if some people can carry the SG flame any further, I should help them with one last gift.

So if there are some people interested to maintain/modify Alamo, I can give the full source of it to the community (but be carefull with it: there is a hardcore hintbrushing to maintain!).
Also, I can give to the community all md3 I have made, and, lastly, some unfinished map project, that can eventually be used as a good starting point ;)

I would be more than happy if someone made something with the Sad Hill map, for example. If you manage to do something with my unfinished stuff, I just want to appear in the credit of the map.

About the licence, I can re-licence everything GPL, except the textures that have to be Creative Commons (NC SA) because they are modifications of Creative Commons pictures found all over internet.

I don't know ATM where to put things, and in fact there are already in the private repository of the dev team.
Either Tequila can do it alone, or someone can tell me the appropriate way to do it (if I'm not wrong, we don't have a public repository for the game content, but I have not been around for a long time).

Also, I wish Smokin' Guns a long live, and who knows... maybe one day I will come back! ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Re: Some news from Joe Kari

Postby Pardner » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Great to hear from you Joe! and congratulations!

This is a good question, I wouldn't mind releasing my map source files as well. I suppose we could put them up on the GitHub along with Tequila's GTK Fork.
https://github.com/smokin-guns
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Biondo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:06 pm

Good news, Joe! Congratulations to Trystan's parents!
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Barto » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 am

Joe Kari wrote:My life has changed a lot for the last months, and now I have a son!
He was born on May 1st, and his name is Trystan

Congratz for the new cowboy in town! Whiskey for everyone! |D

Joe Kari wrote:I'm not saying goodbye, but there are very little chances that I could get involved with the game anymore.
Also, if some people can carry the SG flame any further, I should help them with one last gift.

Darn... :?
I'm starting to be worried about some questions like: "Who gonna develop the game", "Who gonna merge TheDoctor's work", "Who gonna sync with ioquake3"... I know you are doing this during your free time but I'm quite worried about the future of the game.

About the licence, I can re-licence everything GPL, except the textures that have to be Creative Commons (NC SA) because they are modifications of Creative Commons pictures found all over internet.

We definitely need to have a clear and uniformed license about the content into the pk3 files.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:49 pm

Joe, congrats to you and your companion!

My first wish would be to stay in contact with us. Please make sure we are able to contact you, if we have questions only you can answer. In fact, any content author should ensure he's reachable by PM and possibly also by e-mail, even if he/she loses interest in the game.

Picking a license for your work is indeed a good idea. Since you want to share your work with other people, you should explicitly state the terms under which you allow it. The CC3 licenses for pictures are a good choice. If your textures have been derived from existing images, you may want to carefully stating which file is under which license. I've tried to do this in my modification of MachoBastard's dm_ttstation by including *_license.txt files in the PK3.

As for any .map or .shader file: of course you may pick the GPL. But I'm not sure if it is the most suitable license even if the game engine itself is GPL'ed. A CC-*-SA would do the same job without imposing itself onto it's dependent resources. When in doubt, use a dual license and let somebody else figure out which one to pick.

I don't know the Sad Hill map. If you publish the sources, I'd definitely take a look at it, even while my resources are slim and I do not pretend to be a mapper. As for the method of publication, maybe the remaining staff should just decide to open the private repository. Making the source available (all rights reserved, except when licensed) and licensing the sources are two distinct steps, each can be taken independently. Then we all could work towards licensing the old stuff by trying to figure out who created what and which was taken from where. I consider it a community job to at least try to contact the old authors and asking them to state a license.

Barto wrote:We definitely need to have a clear and uniformed license about the content into the pk3 files.
While that would simplify things, I don't think this is archiveable, since SG contains content from various sources. However, it should be our common goal to cover each content with some kind of license allowing us to share it along with the rest of the game.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Congratulations, Joe Kari, it's good to hear that you are doing your part for the future SG player base! 8)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Bart202 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:38 am

Hi Joe Kari, for me it sounds not really good.

By the way, congratulations for a new cowboy :)

What Doctor said is important - it's important to reach you whenever this game needs help. This game looses a really good mapper and developer, and especially a friendly cowboy.
About the maps: In my opinion i'm one of the last mappers, active mapper. By the way my map will appear in 5 weeks if anything works ..
I would see it as a honor to overview your maps :)

A deciding point for future would also be to discuss in webchat one day over the future and maybe some actions to revive the game. - You could do something on Facebook for example. I think we should meet to talk about something like that.

Take your time ;)
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Joe Kari » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi,

Thanks a lot for my little son ;)

@Doctor:
Sad Hill map was intended to be a part for a duel map.
I got an old screenshot here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2112
However the work is far more advanced than in this screenshot.
The Sad Hill map is nearly finished, just one texture need to be fixed, and respwan point needs to be defined.
I have another map part finished in a forest.

Also I can dual licence map sources if it helps (I don't exactly understand your point, but if it helps, no problem).

If someone want to reach me, my gmail is cedric dot ronvel.
It's my main email, so keep it clean ;)
Joe Kari
SG Team

Postby Barto » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:49 am

On a sidenote, Biondo posted this picture on boilerplate:

I hope that you have already one!
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Bart202 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm still waiting for some map files.
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby Itchy Finger » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:14 am

Hey! Congrats Joe on your baby boy! Please don't abandon us :cry: Any help from time to time would be awesome. Just remember "When ya gotta shoot..shoot. Don't talk." :twisted: I tip my hat to ya Joe.
An Itchy Finger is An Itchy Trigger :)
Itchy Finger
Drifter

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel