With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Is it alive?

Postby Ghosk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:39 pm

As title says, is it alive? I just played multiplayer an only bots were on.. no people..

I mean, I played this game many many years ago, and now I discovered it again, but damn it no one is playing it.
Ghosk
Drifter

Re: Is it alive?

Postby torhu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:45 pm

I see 8 people and 11 servers right now :twisted:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Ghosk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 pm

torhu wrote:I see 8 people and 11 servers right now :twisted:

8 people = bots most of the servers empty.
Ghosk
Drifter

Postby Barto » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Ghosk wrote:I just played multiplayer an only bots were on.. no people..

I see 3 real players on jeuxlinux.fr. The servers are more full during the evening. Often player just wait to other people to join the server, but nobody makes the first step.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Ghosk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Barto wrote:
Ghosk wrote:I just played multiplayer an only bots were on.. no people..

I see 3 real players on jeuxlinux.fr. The servers are more full during the evening. Often player just wait to other people to join the server, but nobody makes the first step.

I'll make the first one then.
Ghosk
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:17 pm

As Barto wrote, it depends on the time of day. If look at my signature or follow this link, you may get an impression of when people are playing.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:59 pm

If you are a Windows user you can use Monster Browser to easily see servers with human players. See my signature :twisted:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Ghosk » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:19 pm

I don't understand what has to do this game with Quake 3..
Ghosk
Drifter

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:24 pm

Smokin'Guns uses the IOQuake3 engine, so much of the technology stems from Quake3.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Ghosk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:54 pm

TheDoctor wrote:Smokin'Guns uses the IOQuake3 engine, so much of the technology stems from Quake3.

Thanks... by the way I find the game GREAT for the systems, controls and graphics (Yes I love old style graphics ok? I just HATE these "super realistic omfg real life graphics" nah.. I prefer the old style. Really gets a good atmosphere) I'd just like to see in the game.. more variety. It's all about killing and winning. Probably I'd like to see some more modes or stuff... idk how to explain it. But I don't think they will be working on something.
Ghosk
Drifter

Postby Barto » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:00 pm

Ghosk wrote: I prefer the old style.

Same here, when I try a modern game, I'm always complaining about the lack of options; in particuliar for the mouse settings. And about the lack of smoothness of those games.
Modern games having only 2 options for the mouse (one slider for the speed and one checkbox for inverting the y axis) is just not enough! I'm always complaining about how much latency or accelerations there is and how innacurate the slider is... I only like the mouse input of quake 3 based games and valve's engines probably because they offer a console and a wide set of commands.
For frame speed, I firstly feel the lack of frames in the controls because it doens't react well. Just for this, I'd say that 60fps is the lower limit; less is just unplayable for any games that highly use the keyboard/mouse/etc. 30fps is good for a movie, but not for a game.

Ghosk wrote:I just HATE these "super realistic omfg real life graphics" (...) It's all about killing and winning.

Agreed, it always saddens me when I looks how many western shooter there is compared to all those games that will be forgotten after like 6 months because another concurrent will make a more realistic game. But I don't say that graphics doesn't matter, it's part of the ambience of the game. And for me, this ambience is what make a successful game. I enjoyed Metro Last Light on my Linux machine because of this.

Anyway, it's sad that people trend to play those games instead of discovering things out of their classic cod/bf combo... And it's even sadder when you realize they are earning a shitload of money by just using Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v...
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Ghosk » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:14 pm

Sadly true...

I think that if people started to work AGAIN on this game and made more contents and stuff to do, it would be AWESOME. Damn game of the year lol.
Ghosk
Drifter

Postby Tequila » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi here, I pushed a new ioQ3 synchro last week end and fixed few minor stuffs that was broken before. The really good news is now the new renderer2 stuff from ioQuake3 works PERFECTLY !! Even perfectly to break your framerate if you don't have a last end video card, btw you'll still have the choice to keep the good old renderer ! Btw having renderer2 stuff working gives me some motivations to continue with the game.
So yes, still alive even if we sleep most of the time ;)

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:33 pm

Tequila wrote:Hi here, I pushed a new ioQ3 synchro last week end and fixed few minor stuffs that was broken before. The really good news is now the new renderer2 stuff from ioQuake3 works PERFECTLY !! Even perfectly to break your framerate if you don't have a last end video card, btw you'll still have the choice to keep the good old renderer ! Btw having renderer2 stuff working gives me some motivations to continue with the game.
So yes, still alive even if we sleep most of the time ;)

What is your plan? Do you plan to publish it an optional client(-side) update? (Pretty please, don't break the compatibility to the 1.1 clients). About renderer2: does it support bump-mapping?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:23 am

Hi TheDoctor, don't worry !
In fact, renderer part becomes a modular library and by default this doesn't break compatibility with 1.1 clients. Of course, there should be few bugs to fix. But a year ago, renderer2 was still broken with few maps like alamo.

Actually renderer2 must be selected through a cvar which by default selects renderer1. It consumes much more memory and comhunkMegs must be at least 256 and I suspect we should set to at least to 348 to be safe in every case (was able to put only 2 bots at 256 on dm_alamo). You can check few screenshots I quickly took in my moddb medias. If you want more details about renderer2 features, take a look at the included opengl2-readme.txt.

Some stuff are broken like the rotoscope effect, but honestly this is not really important for the game. This effect was just a toy and this is not mandatory to release SG.

And actually nothing will be released even in beta before the UI is adapt for the best features. Eventually maps should be rebuilt with dedicated parameters so nice shadow could be produced with renderer2. Actually you need to test with devmap command to see the result I obtained.
:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Next

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel