With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Western Wolf:ET map

Postby illwieckz » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Hi, I discovered recently a Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory map named Western, do you ever heard about it?

I got it here: http://wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=4838

And I took some screenshots:

What do you think about it? :twisted:
gg.illwieckz.net { le frag courtois }En français dans le geste
illwieckz
Pistolero

Re: Western Wolf:ET map

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:44 pm

Hi illwieckz,

I've quickly checked the package and it did not contain the source code for the map, but only the compiled version. The compiled map won't work correctly in SG (it probably won't render correctly in every aspect and probably can crash SG, if you look at certain things in a certain angle.)

You may try to contact the map authors to try to convince them to release the source code under a suitable license. Then someone could check it out to see how much work would be needed to adapt it.

To contact the author, check this topic or try to write a mail to ssf.sage at gmail dot com.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby illwieckz » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:37 pm

You may try to contact the map authors to try to convince them to release the source code under a suitable license. Then someone could check it out to see how much work would be needed to adapt it.

Yes, I've some tools to port binary maps but the better is to recompile it if we can, I will ask to -SSF-Sage if he can release his map source under a proper license.

and probably can crash SG, if you look at certain things in a certain angle.

I'm curious, how can this happen? 8(
illwieckz
Pistolero

Postby Bart202 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm

Looks really nice! Hope to play it in Sg!
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:41 pm

illwieckz wrote:I'm curious, how can this happen? 8(

The Enemy-Territory engine is a modified Quake3 engine with enhanced features. I once checked out the wild west ET mod, and just by renaming the bsp file, I was able to load their modified, unfinished version of br_elpaso. Anyway, the map didn't render properly (I think foremost, because it used textures and shaders of ET which were neither included in the map package nor in SG). Also, the game did crash two or three times within 20 minutes or so, when I moved through the map. I didn't care to find an exact explanation, but assumed, it was due features compiled into the .bsp which weren't understood by SG (e.g. additional flags and data types).
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby illwieckz » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:27 pm

The Enemy-Territory engine is a modified Quake3 engine with enhanced features. I once checked out the wild west ET mod, and just by renaming the bsp file, I was able to load their modified, unfinished version of br_elpaso. Anyway, the map didn't render properly (I think foremost, because it used textures and shaders of ET which were neither included in the map package nor in SG).

Hm, yes, I converted the map from BSP47 to BSP46 using the bsp-sekai tool by ZTM and I was able to load it on Smokin'Guns. Many textures was not rendered fine due to unknown shader keywords and I experienced some temporary freezes sometime while moving (but no crash), but perhaps it's due to the shader stuff, don't know. The map looks tiny but in fact there is a very large hidden trickjump level underneath the map :p. So perhaps the renderer tries mistakenly to render invisible things…

With translated shaders and recompiled map it should work.

I wrote a message on the map topic at Splash Damage Wolf:ET forum asking for map source and license. I hope the author will be ok.

About the wildwest RTCW mod, I did not know it, it looks good, what happened to that project? Also, the wildwest map and this ET map are multiplayer maps with objective: not only rob the bank or classic death match, for example in this western ET map you must steal a dynamite and a detonator to be able to destroy the prison wall to free someone, it could be good to get that in smokinguns ! I loaded those wildwest maps on the Daemon engine to have a look and I was amazed by some maps [note: unless some unknown shaders issues, all the textures seems there]. For example I've seen a kind of canyon map that looks very impressive but it's too large to fit the deathmatch or rob-the-bank gameplay.
illwieckz
Pistolero

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel