With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

WQ3 on android?

Postby MsH » Tue May 15, 2018 6:29 pm

Yo, looks like someone has ported western quake 3 for android??

check it :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_46K7w95Rw
MsH
Gunslinger

Re: WQ3 on android?

Postby torhu » Sun May 20, 2018 12:34 am

Interesting... Maybe he's just using this?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 3m4.QIII4A
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Barto » Wed May 30, 2018 10:32 pm

It has been a while I did not connect here! I hope you guys are doing well.

Android seems to have a fork of ioquake3, I did not know that. I'm not following the mobile app frenzy, so that might be the reason ;-)
After all, all the internal game code is independent of the platform, it executes through the quake vm. That's exactly why the engine is impressive: it took modularity to another level. You don't even need to recompile the game code for a new platform!

It looks like it is running QIII4A indeed, you can see it at the end of the video.
I'm also glad that it runs on a modified ioquake3 engine and not a stock 1.32c. I just wonder on which revision of ioquake3 the android change has been made.

The main thing that is not aging well with it is the fixed-pipeline monothreaded rendering. Lagging maps is still a thing since the engine is still heavily dependent on the CPU.

You know, we wouldn't have gone that far without Id Software releasing their source code. Companies are often scared for their code to end in the wild, but when you see the code being supported years after its release, and even get ported to machines that did not exist back then, this is just awesome. More people should do that.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Benjiex » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:26 am

Is there WQ3 on android?
Benjiex
Newcomer

Postby torhu » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:12 pm

Seems so, but it's not from the SG team.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel