With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

Monster Browser 0.9d is released

Postby torhu » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:56 pm

Not very exciting, just fixes the outdated server location information :mrgreen:

https://sites.google.com/site/monsterbrowser/
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Re: Monster Browser 0.9d is released

Postby Barto » Wed May 01, 2019 8:20 pm

Woo, torhu! Nice to see you around! :twisted:

Out of cheer curiosity, may I ask if you simply did update a local copy of the geoip database, or you now fetch it dynamically/periodically? I remember at a previous job we had to use this tool, and it was not too good on old logged IPs. I ended up making sort of a cron job to fetch every week the full geoip release that would get stored in our Hadoop cluster with the correct date with it. Next time, we'd have the full history available. Fun times.

What made you go out of the woods and update your software?

I hope you're alright.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby torhu » Thu May 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Hello :)

It's just a local database. I had to switch to the more complicated GeoIP2 API to be able to get an updated database, they no longer release updated databases in the old format. I just updated it because I noticed it was showing wrong information, no plans for other work on MB ;)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Barto » Mon May 06, 2019 8:47 pm

torhu wrote:It's just a local database. I had to switch to the more complicated GeoIP2 API to be able to get an updated database, they no longer release updated databases in the old format. I just updated it because I noticed it was showing wrong information, no plans for other work on MB ;)

This makes me wonder if an auto-update can be achieved to always have it up to date.
But, as far as I remember, MonsterBrowser is written in legacy D. Did someone make a library for geoip2, and not move to D version 2? The D community is kinda its own world but really cool (and fast!) :-)

It has been years that I have not used Monster Browser (running Linux is the main reason), but I'll always remember it as a trustful piece of software without complexity and a straightforward interface. No need to improve on that.
Compared to what is available on Linux, xqf is way more UI-heavy and less pleasant to use overall.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby torhu » Sat May 18, 2019 7:45 pm

Barto wrote:This makes me wonder if an auto-update can be achieved to always have it up to date.
But, as far as I remember, MonsterBrowser is written in legacy D. Did someone make a library for geoip2, and not move to D version 2? The D community is kinda its own world but really cool (and fast!) :-)

I could add auto-updating, but it would be a bit of work. It's D 1.0, yes. Kind of a dead end nowadays.
Barto wrote:It has been years that I have not used Monster Browser (running Linux is the main reason), but I'll always remember it as a trustful piece of software without complexity and a straightforward interface. No need to improve on that.
Compared to what is available on Linux, xqf is way more UI-heavy and less pleasant to use overall.

Thanks, nice to hear :)
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel