With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Post feedback & meet new friends. General SG discussion.

Moderators: Pardner, TheDoctor

10 years of fun

Postby Barto » Wed May 15, 2019 10:34 pm

Time flies.

I remember when I first installed the game and when I played it for the first time.
Little did I know, back when I started this .exe file on my Windows XP machine, how much time I would spend here, how welcome was the community, and how much fun would I have here.

Back then, I was in high school doing my first year. Now, after a master degree, I am still there. I am not alone, I've met a lot of people that are showing up here from time to time, and I can only thank them. The list is sadly too long for naming everybody, but trust me, seeing so many people from so many different places made me realize that the world is way bigger and diverse than I would have thought of.

Sure, we had our hard times in here, but some people were able to manage to find solutions pretty well. All of this work was done during their free time, how amazing!

Also, neither is the world the same. I started right after the economic crisis, but during that time wars broke out, revolutions occurred, and these things are bound to continue. Here, we have our little world that did not change much.

Anyway, that .exe that I downloaded at 75kBps back in the day; it was exactly 10 years ago.

I remember the date when I switched my computer to a new setup and looked when I got the game installed. I had to know when I installed it so that I could remember for a long time, across setups.

All this post is here just to give a big thanks to everybody in this community. It has been a real pleasure to be with you, hanging on IRC, gaming together and all.
I've not seen another game that do have such a kind player base, and I know I will not see this ever again.

We do not have as much popularity as before for sure. But I hope that nothing will disappear such that the game becomes unplayable.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: 10 years of fun

Postby illwieckz » Sat May 18, 2019 11:31 pm

but during that time wars broke out, revolutions occurred, and these things are bound to continue.

yeah, this world is crazy!

…but the game is still there, and some people too :twisted:
gg.illwieckz.net { le frag courtois }En français dans le geste
illwieckz
Pistolero

Postby Barto » Sun May 19, 2019 3:06 pm

Yo illwieckz.

Indeed, the game is still here, some players too.

I remember when the Tunisian revolution which evicted Ben Ali from the government happened. We had player from here that were concerned and deeply touched by the global unemployment rate. Back then, little did we know how Syria would become...
Anyway, the 2015 Nobel peace price is well deserved to the Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet since they got through this crisis really well.

I also have to thank you illwieckz for trying to give a new fresh breath within the game. I saw your progress of integrating the SG-specific stuffs into q3map2 and others, and I hope that some day we'll be able to have some sort of a -ng tag somewhere :-) Thanks to Tequila for all his kindness that helped you start this initiative.

Thank you all, stay awesome.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby a.k47 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Howdy every1

Sad to say that I lost my focus on SG the last years. Pretty much to do on work... Even more to do at my own company. 2 Weeks ago I checked monster browser ( I normally don't) and I saw 4 Players. Not those damn bots, real human players. I decided to join and we had a great time (just 1,5 hours). I got really bad at playing, never thought that I will lose contra "normal players". So I just started training last week and well, I have to say: "a.k47 is back in town" |D :lol:

So from time to time I will join the game again; ready to beat the sh*t out of you all :twisted: :lol:

cya
a.k47
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Biondo » Mon May 27, 2019 8:03 pm

A house is not made of bricks, but of the people who live in there. And Barto is a cornerstone.

Thanks, cornerstone Barto.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby Barto » Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 pm

This is an overstatement Biondo.

You've accomplished way more with that website redesign (that is still looking amazing). Tequila has done a truck load of work too with the time he spent releasing 1.1 with Joe Kari. Illwieckz might be a newcomer here in the forum, but oh boy does he know the quake 3 engine.

Maybe I'm a brick in a corner, the one everyone forgets, and I'm not holding the wall together.
After all, a community is not composed from only one individual.
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Wiskey » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:01 pm

I remember when I installed SG 2009 and played 6 hours with no breaks, from 9 pm to 3 am. SG was good game to play with my 256 kbps adsl and it worked fine even with my ATI radeon 9xxx graphics card. I had funny so many hours until 2015 players left game and remain players played same maps all the time.

But I still visited regularly in SG homesite to see news from games. I saw info from SG new version and I am happy. Maybe I install in near future SG again to try it.

Damn I have good memories from this game, and I am suprised that my account still worked after 4 years inactivity.
Wiskey
Drifter

Return to Saloon

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel