With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

I receive this error when i try to start SG 1.0 on Archlinux

Postby Garret » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:40 pm

This is the error ->
http://gist.github.com/42352

I have a nvidia video card.

EDIT:
Sorry me, i saw i have just posted on the wrong section :oops:
Garret
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Hi Garret,

you have no problem with your graphic card as the problem is with OpenAL sound system.

I'm not sure but the missing symbol seems telling us tou have not openal installed. Can you verify that point ? If it's installed can you tell us which version it is ?

Btw try to disable OpenAl by running "./smokinguns.x86 +set s_useOpenAL 0" and tell us how sound is working for you.

Also I seems to have installed the games in "~/.smokinguns". Try better to install it in "~/SmokinGuns". Then you will be able to start the game by just running the exe even if you're not in the SmokinGuns folder ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Garret » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Ok it now works but i don't hear anything.

If i try to install openal i see i don't have it but when the package manager tries to install it i receive an error that sounds like:
"You have /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0 so openal cannot be installed"

PS: And then is there a way to set my native res 1680x1050?
Garret
Newcomer

Postby Tequila » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:15 am

If you're sure openal is not installed, maybe you have installed it from sources some time ago ? You may have to clean your system then but that's at your own risk... Can you give us the output of the following command "ldd smokinguns.x86" from your installation folder ?

Please open a new thread for the resolution question ;)
That's possible as I'm using the same resolution than yours but not on my current computer. I know Joe Kari use such kind of resolution two.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pyrite » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:14 pm

Not sure if it's the cause, but there was a problem with ioQuake3 and OpenAL versions on Ubuntu 8.10. ioQuake3 wanted to access /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0, which was available with earlier releases of Ubuntu, but Ubunto 8.10 instead uses a more recent version that installs to /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1. The solution is to make a symlink (as root):
Code: Select all
# ln -s /usr/lib/openal.so.0 /usr/lib/openal.so.1

Give that a try, I don't know if you're having the same problem since you're running Arch and it's not ioQuake3, but that might fix it!

(EDIT): just re-read your last post and it looks like the above won't be much help, but I'll leave it up there in case it helps someone...

If you're getting an error saying that you already have /usr/lib/openal.so.0, it might be worth looking at it using "ls -lh /usr/lib/openal.so.0" (e.g. to see if it's a symlink to another file), and maybe removing it and trying again to install the package version.
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby zeVlad » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:01 am

@Pyrite : thanks for the idea, but the code isn't the good :D
The good command to make the symlink is :

Code: Select all
ln -s /usr/lib/libopenal.so.1 /usr/lib/libopenal.so.0

(as root)

But now I have another problem, with openGL... se the other post about that. :wink:
zeVlad
Pistolero

Postby Pyrite » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:46 am

Oops! I always forget which way round the arguments to ln go. Sorry about that...
Pyrite
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:02 pm

Anyway Garet, have you an x86_64 workstation with a linux 64bits installed ? In that case, you will have to install any driver (nvidia and openal) as 32 bits.

Later when we have ported the engine to ioQ3, x86_64 will be supported.
Tequila
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel