With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Postby xgregx » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Ah-ha, its working for me now! I put together a full commandline:
./smokinguns_dedicated.x86 server +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg +set ttycon 0 +set g_gametype 3 +set net_ip 208.111.34.30 +set net_port 28975 +set sv_maxclients 20

That works! No more eating 100% cpu!
Thanks for the help.
FYI - I was working on supporting SmokinGuns in my game control panel.
Shameless plug: http://www.opengamepanel.org
I love the game and wanted to get it working with my tool.
It does, I have it mostly working. You can start an SG dedicated server now!
Thanks guys!
Greg
Open Source Game Server Control panel -> http://www.opengamepanel.org
xgregx
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:52 am

xgregx wrote:FYI - I was working on supporting SmokinGuns in my game control panel.
Shameless plug: http://www.opengamepanel.org
I love the game and wanted to get it working with my tool.

Hey thanks! We'll see about giving you a plug in our next news post. 8)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby xgregx » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:44 pm

Cool! Thanks very much!
Greg
xgregx
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:15 pm

You should not need to set g_gametype or sv_maxclients in your start-script. Those settings can and should be inside the config, which you load with +exec.

net_port and net_ip on the other hand can only be set in the start script. Does the test-server have multiple interfaces/IPs? If so, this might be the root of your troubles.

ttycon only makes the server run in background, if I recall correctly. I've 'fixed' this with start-stop-daemon ;)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:25 am

Hi just check a little OpenGamePanel. It's a very interesting project, thank you to support Smokin' Guns ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby xgregx » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 am

The reason why I'm setting all the options on the command line is because Open Game Panel is organized in such a way that expects those values to be configured.
It assumes that it's managing a game server hosting many different game types, with multiple ports and IPs.
Thanks,
Greg
xgregx
Drifter

Postby Tequila » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:26 am

xgregx wrote:The reason why I'm setting all the options on the command line is because Open Game Panel is organized in such a way that expects those values to be configured.
It assumes that it's managing a game server hosting many different game types, with multiple ports and IPs.
Thanks,
Greg

Yes I saw your OGP agent has to handle the dedicated. I have a question on that, does the agent handle the command line so the agent can push command to the dedicated ? If not, our engine can be started in daemon mode. But then you'll have to pass rcon command to manage it.

Btw, you also should open a new thread in Telegraph Station forum to present OGP. So any interested people can be aware ;)
And I'll ask my question again in that thread or you still can answer it in that new thread.
Thanks again for your involvement :)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:51 am

Hey guys, you may not remember me, but I'm back. After quite a few months of being Smokin' Guns-less due to Windows 7 not supporting my hardware for OpenGL, I finally have decided to jump on the Ubuntu bandwagon and give it a go. And of course, the first thing I want to do is get back into Smokin' Guns!

Unfortunately, I'm confused by even the most basic tasks. For instance, which is my "Home Directory", the one named after my username? Secondly, the "chmod" command did not find the file, but I did it using rightclick-> properties instead. When I double-click the .x86 file, nothing happens. When I try the .exe file, it tries to open it with the archive manager (I take it Linux doesn't like .exe?). Any help would be appreciated; I'd love to jump back into the community!
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:00 am

Redwing wrote:Hey guys, you may not remember me, but I'm back. After quite a few months of being Smokin' Guns-less due to Windows 7 not supporting my hardware for OpenGL, I finally have decided to jump on the Ubuntu bandwagon and give it a go. And of course, the first thing I want to do is get back into Smokin' Guns!

Unfortunately, I'm confused by even the most basic tasks. For instance, which is my "Home Directory", the one named after my username? Secondly, the "chmod" command did not find the file, but I did it using rightclick-> properties instead. When I double-click the .x86 file, nothing happens. When I try the .exe file, it tries to open it with the archive manager (I take it Linux doesn't like .exe?). Any help would be appreciated; I'd love to jump back into the community!

did you install the windows version on your linux machine? linux doesn't run .exe
generally .exe tells you that it is a windows binary

try installing the linux version ;)
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:55 am

The home folder is usually something like /home/redwing. Also note that almost every command you use in the console will only look in the current folder, if you don't use absolute paths.

The .exe won't work, unless you try Wine to do so, which is not recommended since there are linux binaries ;)
If the x86 doesn't start either, open a terminal, cd into the folder where SG is installed and run smokinguns.x86. This should output some sort of error.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:06 pm

Do you installed on a 64bits system ? If yes, you may missed some 32bits libraries to start the x86 build.
By the way, check the current Beta testing stage, it has native x86_64 support.

/dev/random wrote:Also note that almost every command you use in the console will only look in the current folder, if you don't use absolute paths.
May I say it's generally false. This is true if you add "." in your PATH env variable. From the console, you should always start "./smokinguns.x86" or "./smokinguns.x86_64" if you're in your SG installation folder.

If it doesn't start, try from the console you'll always see some error message you may miss if you try from the file manager. For example, if you don't have installed opengl driver, you won't see the error message, unless you start the game from the console.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:00 pm

I downloaded the version that said ".zip for Linux and Windows". Unzipped it into my home folder. I did a cd to the directory, but what exactly is the command for run? It says 'run' is not a recognised command.

Also, how can I ensure that I have OpenGL and OpenAL? I'm running the latest Ubuntu stable release (jaunty) in 32 bit, does it come with all the drivers?
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby SmokeyBacon » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:36 pm

Redwing wrote:I downloaded the version that said ".zip for Linux and Windows". Unzipped it into my home folder. I did a cd to the directory, but what exactly is the command for run? It says 'run' is not a recognised command.

Also, how can I ensure that I have OpenGL and OpenAL? I'm running the latest Ubuntu stable release (jaunty) in 32 bit, does it come with all the drivers?

Redwing! Sorry, I have no ideas to help fix your problem but I do hope you can get back on SG soon.
SmokeyBacon
Shootist

Postby Redwing » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Ok, got the error:
./smokinguns.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I take it openAL is not installed. I'll try to find it, but I haven't had much luck with such things. Any help here?
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby Tequila » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:56 am

Okay, can you try to start the game with "+set s_alDriver libopenal.so.1" ?
You may have this one still installed, otherwise you're just missing the OpenAL package.
Tequila
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel