With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Crashes at startup on Vista 32

Postby Alain-James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:52 am

Hey people!

First, thanks for all your work, and best wishes for the new year.

Ive got a big issue: whenever the game starts, the console loads right, but the game crashes the moment it goes to a blank screen. There's no intro, whatsoever, just a crash, with Windows saying it has to stop the application.

I suspect it may be somekind of codec issue. The problem is that I do not know what is supposed to follow the console screen to begin with, so that's just a supposition. If this is a codec issue, is there anyway to disable the intro from outside the game?

thanks in advance

AJ
Alain-James
Drifter

Postby torhu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:33 am

What cpu do you have? The current release of the game won't work on older cpus. Specifically the ones that don't have the SSE feature. We're working on fixing that. :)
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Alain-James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 am

Hello Doc! Thanks for the answer!

Shouldn't be a issue here: my CPU is a dual core E6750 :|
Damn! :(
Alain-James
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:27 am

My development system is an AMD Opteron 1218 on Vista x64 SP1 using Visual Studio 2008 Professional.

Try reinstalling the Visual C++ Runrtime (VCRT2008) by a redistributable on Microsoft's site, then try upgrading to beta video drivers.

All CPUs post 2000 have SSE, even AMD.
All Intel Pentium 4, AMD64 and newer (2005-2006+) CPUs have SSE2 support
We compile for regular SSE not SSE2. Windows 2000 supposedly still works with VC++ 2008 binaries but not even Microsoft supports the platform so YMMV.

I noted that the intro does not come up when running a custom resolution, where you've forced r_mode to -1 and changed the h/v in the default.cfg file.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:59 am

What error message do you get? Could be useful to have some more detailed info too. If there's a 'click here' link, click on it. Then click on the 'click here' link in the second message box too. Doesn't seem to be possible to copy text from the third message box, so you can post a screen shot of it.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Spoon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:29 pm

Smokin' Guns also crashed on my PC on Vista64 SP1 right after I started it. I got it working by letting windows data exexution prevention ignore the smokinguns.exe. I don't know what goes wrong, so that this is happening. Maybe you're having the same problem as i had.

This can be done in "Control Panel -> System -> Advanced system settings -> Performance Settings -> Data Execution Prevention Tab.
Spoon
Iron Claw

Postby Alain-James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Here's the data (sorry, my windows is French)

Signature du problème
Nom d’événement du problème : BEX
Nom de l’application: smokinguns.exe
Version de l’application: 0.0.0.0
Horodatage de l'application: 4958ee7e
Nom du module par défaut: StackHash_fd00
Version du module par défaut: 0.0.0.0
Horodateur du module par défaut: 00000000
Décalage de l’exception: 04b6f6a0
Code de l’exception: c0000005
Données d’exception: 00000008
Version du système: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.6
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036
Information supplémentaire n° 1: fd00
Information supplémentaire n° 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Information supplémentaire n° 3: fd00
Information supplémentaire n° 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

I am gonna try both the resolution thing and the data execution exception, thanks!
Alain-James
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Very strange considering mine does not crash on my Opteron using Vista x64, which uses DEP (NX), and other ASLR techniques to randomize the heap and stack of programs. I can try and generate a new binary after changing all the linker settings to be DEP friendly if that is the case, though I am pretty certain "Image is compatible DEP" is set. Give me a few hours for a new binary, just woke up.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Alain-James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Ok thanks, the program prevention tweak did it :)

Apparently it may be the intro, because it is not showing up... But even then I have the credits video when I quit, so Im not sure about that... Well nevermind!

Thanks again :)

AJ
Alain-James
Drifter

Postby Alain-James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:43 pm

sparcdr wrote:Very strange considering mine does not crash on my Opteron using Vista x64, which uses DEP (NX), and other ASLR techniques to randomize the heap and stack of programs. I can try and generate a new binary after changing all the linker settings to be DEP friendly if that is the case, though I am pretty certain "Image is compatible DEP" is set. Give me a few hours for a new binary, just woke up.

Well don't kill your sunday for me compadre!
Alain-James
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:56 pm

http://www.deviantptr.net/~sparcdr/smokinguns.exe try this file, it has SSE2 support and I found a few components still using image randomization, which causes similar issues as DEP.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Spoon wrote: ...

Uhoh! The maker himself!

Hey Spoon! Good to see you checking back in on us. I bet you never thought back then that a bunch of maniacs :lol: still keeps this thing alive; so many years after you started it ;).
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby Alain-James » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:10 pm

sparcdr wrote:http://www.deviantptr.net/~sparcdr/smokinguns.exe try this file, it has SSE2 support and I found a few components still using image randomization, which causes similar issues as DEP.

Same problem :|

But well the program prevention stuff works fine so far, so... Maybe it's a good solution already.
If it can help, I forgot to say that the screen is always going to super-bright whenever I have this crash. I have to go back to my Video card settings and click on the brightness slider if I want it back to normal. I have a GF 8600 btw.
Alain-James
Drifter

Postby sparcdr » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:02 pm

That's because Quake's engine changes the gamma and sticks it into the GPU. It happened to me, and now I get nice errors about gammaramp failing to set, nothing will fix it except a reinstall of the whole OS from my trouble trying to reinstall drivers, reboot after reboot, replace the files for Smokin' Guns, try and force it with another program, etc. Annoying, but yeah.
sparcdr
SG Team

XP Pro Chrashing on STartup

Postby doctor_smooth » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:32 pm

I have seen a lot of Vista crashing on startup but I am using XP pro and it is crashing on startup. First it doesn't find autoexec file, but even if I put that into the folder it still just crashes. I am using a 1 gb AMD Athlon. I am not sure if that is SSE or not. I have played Western Quake 3 without any problems, and had a friend over and he couldn't figure it out.
doctor_smooth
Drifter

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel