With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Train Jitters and Ping Questions

Postby mugenmidget » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks again for this game, it's really swell. I just have a two performance issues I'd like to clear up. Neither is game breaking but I wondered if there's anything I could do server side or client side to fix them.

First off, on the train level, there is a noticeable "jitter" every now and then as you're walking. It seems more like a rollback/reconciliation than anything else which leads me to believe it's a result of the Unlagged implementation. That's fine and understandable, I just wonder why it occurs so frequently even in "single player" mode. Is there any tweak for that or is it just the nature of the beast?

Secondly, I notice that pings are a lot higher (as they should be) with "g_trueping" set to 1. That much is fine, but is it normal for the ping between two computers on the same LAN to be around the "30" range? Does that indicate a problem elsewhere?

Thanks for any and all help you can provide, you've done such a fantastic job!
mugenmidget
Drifter

Re: Train Jitters and Ping Questions

Postby Pardner » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:27 am

Welcome to the forums :!:
mugenmidget wrote:First off, on the train level, there is a noticeable "jitter" every now and then as you're walking. It seems more like a rollback/reconciliation than anything else which leads me to believe it's a result of the Unlagged implementation. That's fine and understandable, I just wonder why it occurs so frequently even in "single player" mode. Is there any tweak for that or is it just the nature of the beast?

This is a kn ow bug. It actually isnt your ping, if you notice your ping stays (almost) constant durring this lag. The game even does it durring single player w/ bots. We are looking into getting a fix for this, but it is an unusual beast ;)

mugenmidget wrote:Secondly, I notice that pings are a lot higher (as they should be) with "g_trueping" set to 1. That much is fine, but is it normal for the ping between two computers on the same LAN to be around the "30" range? Does that indicate a problem elsewhere?

Make sure that the most powerful computer is running the server. If you load the server down with bots the ping will also increase.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby mugenmidget » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:32 am

Ah, I was only running the server on a 1.5 ghz machine so that could probably be a lot of it. Do you think it would pay off to try hosting with the same PC but on a Linux distribution?

And while that's a shame about the train it's great that you're already well aware of it. I have confidence in your abilities so I'm sure we'll see it up and running some day (and it's not even horribly unplayable as it is)!

The quick answers are very appreciated, it's a great community you have here.
mugenmidget
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 am

mugenmidget wrote:Ah, I was only running the server on a 1.5 ghz machine so that could probably be a lot of it. Do you think it would pay off to try hosting with the same PC but on a Linux distribution?
And while that's a shame about the train it's great that you're already well aware of it. I have confidence in your abilities so I'm sure we'll see it up and running some day (and it's not even horribly unplayable as it is)!
The quick answers are very appreciated, it's a great community you have here.

Thats funny, I also run a LAN server off of my 15.ghz machine and people do get a ping (i can remeber how high... been a while since a ran a LAN). The lag isn't only on train. you might find that during heavy firefight, it will lag on all maps. :|
Pardner
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:55 am

You could try disabling the unlagged feature in the server.cfg just as a test to see if there's any difference in ping.
Train, while not exactly the smoothest running map to begin with, ran without the "glitch" problem prior to the stand-alone release. Tests by Joe Kari seem to indicate the map is not the problem. As Pardner stated, this glitch shows up in other maps too... but not always.

Oh, welcome to the forum. :)
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel