With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

map(weapon) loading error message/fps drop

Postby tryhard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:53 am

First of all:a big THANK YOU! for everyone involved in creating this standalone.
Yesterday i played online, the map was dm_coyotebluff and when i joined the server my fps were really low, about 16 but they improved after playing some time on the server. But still they kept dropping to 50/60 so i wanted to try the map offline to see if my fps were server related for some reason. So i loaded the map from the console and got this error:

I tried it again and the same error and when i tried to load another map it happened again.
So i thought my SG installation is broken or something. I got autodownload turned off all the time.
Strange thing is that when i rebooted my computer everything was fine again.
I also experienced offline a severe fps drop when i added more then about 6 bots. I think this is ok for offline because my computer has to do all the work, but it seems to be the same online.
Also online when i got the same ping as others it's sometimes extremely hard to hit them because my fps are not stable, so the game is slightly stuttering as you can imagine.
I got com_maxfps 125. com_hunkmegs 512(but that did not change my fps problems it's about the same with the default value)

my system is:
winxp home edition
intel core2duo6300 2x1,86GHz
2 Gb ram
Nividia Geforce 7900gs 256Mb
Soundblaster x-fi

I got no problems with fps in quake3, openarena, urban terror, but some similar fps problems in enemy territory which makes it also somehow unplayable for me, no matter what i do, turn the graphics all down for example.
tryhard
Drifter

Postby Joe Kari » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:43 pm

Wow... First time I saw that error message... I don't know how to help you...

For the performance issue, this game need much more ressource than other Q3-based game. However I can play with my old Athlon 2400+ with nVidia 5200 FX without to much trouble. If you have got some performance issue, the first thing to turn off is 'particle', and eventually 'gunsmoke'. With your computer, you shouldn't have trouble anymore.
Joe Kari
SG Team

Re: map(weapon) loading error message/fps drop

Postby Pardner » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:06 pm

tryhard wrote:my system is:
winxp home edition
intel core2duo6300 2x1,86GHz
2 Gb ram
Nividia Geforce 7900gs 256Mb
Soundblaster x-fi

I got no problems with fps in quake3, openarena, urban terror, but some similar fps problems in enemy territory which makes it also somehow unplayable for me, no matter what i do, turn the graphics all down for example.

With that system, you should not have any trouble playing our game. I have a system equivalent to 1/4 yours and i usually get ~100 fps. See that you have trouble playing other games makes me wonder if you have addware/spyware running. Also, make sure you close out any un-needed aps.

That is the first time I have seen that error message. So it doesn't like the sawed-off shotgun.... hmmmm. I might suggest that you download a fresh copy. Where did you download it from? What you can do is download the ".zip" version and only unpack the pk3 files.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Breli » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:00 pm

Your machine is not the issue. SG should run like a charme. Like Pardner said: get a fresh copy and close all apps that might interfere with the game.

Hopefully that helps 8)
SG name: =SG= BRELI

Harmonica: Did you bring a horse?
Gunmen: Looks like we are short on one horse!
Harmonica: No. You brought two too many.
Breli
SG Team

Postby tryhard » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions!
I tried some things offline like turning off the antivirussoftware and software firewall. I am using G-Data internet security btw, but it did not change anything.
Then i tried it offline with picmip 5 and vertex lightning and still it was not that much better. I even set SG to one cpu core and it did not change anything.
At last i have found the solution for my problem: I simply set the game resolution to my native 1280x1024 and r_displayrefresh to the refreshrate of my tft and now it works great online.
btw: i think i downloaded SG from: http://www.exp.de/download.php?id=16189
I am not really sure as i had to download it 4 times because 3 times the .zip file was corrupted during download. I tried filefront and three times exp i think and at last it worked.
If the problem shown in the picture should occur too often i can just unzip my SG.zip again, because i don't think that there is anything wrong with it.
I hope my thread helps people who probably are experiencing similar problems.
tryhard
Drifter

Re: Minor Troubles

Postby WiCkEdBaD » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:58 am

Hey ya'll

I had similar problem. Same screen but mine was Hunk_Alloc 1226528

Only on the 1st two maps in the stand alone game. Didn't matter if it was online or single player. So, I deleted those two .pk3 files just so I could play.
Should I change the com_meg to 512 ? and add the .pk3's back?

WB 8)
WiCkEdBaD
Newcomer

Re: Minor Troubles

Postby Pardner » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:14 am

WiCkEdBaD wrote:Only on the 1st two maps in the stand alone game. Didn't matter if it was online or single player. So, I deleted those two .pk3 files just so I could play.
Should I change the com_meg to 512 ? and add the .pk3's back?

You shouldn't need to delete any .pk3 files. You will be missing content if you do. You dont need to set com_hunkmegs that high. You can try 128, thats what I use and I have no problem playing SG
Pardner
SG Team

RE: Need Help!

Postby WiCkEdBaD » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:04 am

Well Pardner,

I have tried your suggestions and still am getting the hunkmeg error on start up of the stand alone game.

I even uninstalled the game. Deleted all associated files and re-d/l the entire game. Re-installed with same results. Although now the error occurs on all maps at different stopping points for the hunk_alloc .

Now, I am unsure what I have done wrong. I followed the directions in the readme to the tee before installing.

Note, I have 3WCTF and UT stand alones and they work great.

I have the retail Q3 Arena plus several mods there as well with no problems.
I even made a mod for the SG just so me and my son could play.

Really want to find the problem, It seems very awesome and we are looking forward to killing you all soon!
WiCkEdBaD
Newcomer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel