With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

REAL LAG

Postby Kouma » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Well, I always kinda lagged in servers, mostly in Jeuxlinux.fr, becuase I'm in Brazil with a 300kbps connection. But today, my ping was high in every server, and I got a weird thing in my connection status box that appears when you hit tab key.

Here's a screenshot to help, and if anyone can help me I would be really grateful.

http://s342.photobucket.com/albums/o410 ... nt=lag.jpg

By the way, the server in ss is Los Bandidos, where I usually get a 200~250 ping.
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby sparcdr » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:21 pm

Couldn't really give you much advise except to prefer the North American servers because more likely than not your routing will go through the US to get to France. The jitter and packet loss could be a number of things, varying from local link congestion (Cable's shared architecture) or changes to routing by your ISP or hops inbetween. But it's most likely between you and the link just outside where you exit your ISP's network where the issues are.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby torhu » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Yep, the red lines are dropped packages.

http://earthli.com/quake/lagometer.php
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Kouma » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks for answering, now I need to know why the hell that started happening and how can I fix it...

By the way, I noticed in Tohru's link that theres a command line to smooth the lag, cg_timenudge. Is there anything like working for SG?
Kouma
Shootist

Postby torhu » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Since SG basically is quake 3, cg_timenudge should work the same way. Not sure if changing it will help your ping, though.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Kouma » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:27 pm

torhu wrote:Since SG basically is quake 3, cg_timenudge should work the same way. Not sure if changing it will help your ping, though.

Hmm, when I type it in console...

"unknown cmd: cg_timenudge"

:|
Kouma
Shootist

Postby L3th4l » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:07 pm

try cl_timenudge :wink:
L3th4l
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Kouma » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 pm

L3th4l wrote:try cl_timenudge :wink:

I knew there was something starting by "c" in the command line, but I was too damn pissed off to try it. Thank you very much L3th4l :P
Kouma
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:50 am

Find your optimal settings for these cvars. Google their exact description
cg_smoothClients
snaps
rate
cl_maxpackets ( and com_maxfps, as they depend on each other )
cl_packetdup
cg_predictItems
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:02 am

Lagometer output explained here. The link has pictures of the lagometer in action & what everything means.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby mLy! » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:32 pm

hey Kouma

CL_TIMENUDGE will not lower your ping, but if you set a negative value it will make it 'seem' like you have a lower ping. This is possible because the game then makes 'predictions' before things actually happen.
Timenudge values are capped at -50 and + 50. Values higher don't have any effect.
I suggest you try playing with -20 and see how it 'feels' for you and then adjust from there.

Also, \cl_packetdup 1 and \cl_maxpackets 125 and \rate 25000 should help you out.

ps: how is your clan going? Contact me in IRC if you can (#sg.wars quakenet)
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Kouma » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 pm

mLy! wrote:CL_TIMENUDGE will not lower your ping, but if you set a negative value it will make it 'seem' like you have a lower ping. This is possible because the game then makes 'predictions' before things actually happen.

Yes, I've noticed that already.

I suggest you try playing with -20 and see how it 'feels' for you and then adjust from there.

I have it set to -50, but I dont see anything changed.

Also, \cl_packetdup 1 and \cl_maxpackets 125 and \rate 25000 should help you out.

Thanks about this. I may be able to play only at night, and I will try these. Hope they work.

ps: how is your clan going? Contact me in IRC if you can (#sg.wars quakenet)

It still the clan with no name... lol. I need a name but neither CrazyHose or me can agree about a good one. :|
Kouma
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:08 pm

Maybe "Unlagged" is not working correctly clientside with such a bad connection?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:11 pm

Let me share my 5 cents about laggin' too:
First time I've played at los Bandidos my "default" ping was about 250ms (and that is good value.. almost the best).
So, I decided to reduce it. To me the really important value is the "rate". The default value is 25k. Mine is 7500. And it saves just about 50ms of ping!
Yes, the cl_timeNudge -10 has helped too. But this is not really "fair" help. I mean when I'm shootin' from far-far-away there is no much of prediction to be taken into account. Therefore I'm shootin' fine. But when it comes about close combat it became really odd. I'm not much of a good shooter, but I can see when I hit and when not. So it's up to you to decide. I'll use the trick.
And the last one is about cl_maxPackets. I've noticied that sometimes my FPS fall to 90. And these times I became really laggy. Solution is to sacrafice graphics to make FPS be always 125. But.. I like the game's graphic. To me it's about fun and not proficiency. So I decided to sacrafice ping for cool picture.
One "bonus" solution (in case if one decided to use simple graphics) is to set com_maxFPS to 150-200 and cl_maxPackets to the same value. But.. there comes other troubles (with internet traffic and server's loading). So, I decided not to use it.

And one more thing. I thought my ping is so bad because of some backgroud internet-programms, low bandwidth, 128kbps and etc.. But it's not. It's just about distance to server (and routing of course). We often play together with my little bro through the same modem. The ping stays the same like as I'm playing alone. Just for a test case I've luanched three SG one three different PCs through one modem and it still the same. So my ping problem is only about distance.
I've also tried snaps. The default "40" is fine for me.
And I suppouse cl_packetup is useless for me. Default drop of one packet is fine.
cl_predictItems is not the one vital for me.

I've noticed after these months of gaming that the ping is essential value. When I'm playing with someone who has ping of 250 with me having 110 - it is just like me cheating on him. I feel so guilty. Just because I know how it feels when you playing with ping more than 100. Somehow when my ping is about 200-300 I fell guilty too.. Because some players just don't want to play with such pingy guy.
My old Q (quake player) friend says that any ping higher than 100 is unplayable. His advice is to quit freaking and go to any LAN Q game. But I like this game. And I like the idea that I'm playing with some foreign players.

So, if anyone knows any other possible solution to reduce ping - I'm really need you. Please let me know.

May be some of these advises should be in the "Beginners Guide" theme (Beginners Guide). I think everyone who has ping more than 100 has to try to reduce it.

Sorry for disturbin' in case if it's really newbie questions/advices.. To me it's really important. During my LAN games I've never even thought of things like ping. I knew what they meant but they weren't so vital.
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:03 am

Lucky Bro wrote:My old Q (quake player) friend says that any ping higher than 100 is unplayable.
That is true for games like Quake 3 where the players move very fast. But Smokin' Guns is a slower paced game, and it is possible to play fairly well with a ping above 100. My ping on RAWHIDE is usually around 125, yet I sometimes win over players with lower ping. I also lose to players with higher ping.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel