With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

pmove_fixed (split from lag thread)

Postby mLy! » Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:11 pm

Tequila wrote: set pmove_fixed 1 ; set pmove_msec 8"

In other quake 3 engine games setting both server and client to pmove_fixed 1 reduced falling damage: the height of where you had to fall from to receive damage increased.
Not sure if this is true for SG.

Topic split by Pardner
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:58 pm

I have mixed thoughts about pmove_fixed. I have a bind to toggle it because I cannot make up my mind. I think it does reduce fall damage and i seem to play better with it set.....but, it also causes over bounce (OB) to happen more often. In VQ3 OB was fun and didnt affect the gameplay much, but in SG, OB usually causes bad things to happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFfsZqk0lQ

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:43 pm

Good job Pardner! Thank you for clearing out things.
This is weighty argument. I suppouse Tequila can now make server's config back and pmove_fixed should be 0 for SG.
I tried to reproduce the issue by myself but I suffer a defeat. But your video is enough evidence for me.

Tequila and all participants of FAIR server - thank you for help!
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:37 pm

when i set pmove_fixed 1 , i get OB constantly (er... enough to get frustrated) when i climb down ladders I do not climb all the way down. I climb halfway down and then jump off; sometimes I bounce back-upward or go flying forward depending on my horizontal speed :(

the easies bounce you can get is the sticky bounce.
-start SP mode
-set pmove_fixed 1
-go to a stair (the best is the wood deck surrounding the saloon in alamo)
-walk forward onto the stair
-walk backward off the stair
-press jump once

you should bounce twice for pressing jump once.

me used to be a defrag player
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Hmm..
I got the ladder bug without pmove_fixed to 1. Mean I jumped back instead of forward.

Do you restart the map after you set up the variable?
I still can't reproduce your video..
Btw, why your framerate is 25? It should be 125. (I think it is because you were recording the demo, right?)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby moRtem » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:14 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:Hmm..
I got the ladder bug without pmove_fixed to 1. Mean I jumped back instead of forward.

it's a serverside setting -- so you need rcon to change it on the server

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:36 pm

Yeah, I reproduced the bag!

Thx for sequence Pardner!
Now it's clear.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:28 pm

Lucky Bro wrote:Hmm..

you will only bounce up if you have 0 UPS in the XY directions. (so standing still)

Lucky Bro wrote:Do you restart the map after you set up the variable?
I still can't reproduce your video..
Btw, why your framerate is 25? It should be 125. (I think it is because you were recording the demo, right?)

I dont think you need to reset the map, or at least i dont. To get the bounce on the tower you need to jump on the tower and "get sticky" In SG there is no way to tell ifyou are sticky or not, but Defrag had a nice little hud icon :D Do a web search on "Stick bounce q3"

Yes, my FPS is at 25 because I was recordign with Fraps.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:36 am

I thought you were talking about another ladder :) The one in the hotel there defending team start. This one got nothing to do with pmove_fixed. And I even not sure if it is a bug.

Yeah, as I said I've reproduced bug. "Sticky" was the point that I didn't took into account for my first try.
And, yeah, you are right - pmove_fixed change don't require restart of map/server or anything else.

For those who decided to reproduce the trick:
1. Start local game.
2. \g_smothClients 0
3. \pmove_fixd 1
4. climb up the ladder
5. jump for a while inside the tower (you should bounce off of the tower's roof)
6. go to the top of the ladder and jump (up only). if you'll jumped twice instead of once - you get "sticky"
7. do the trick as shown in Pardner's movie
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 pm

So, the truth to be told :)

We did a wonderful test of pmove_fixed 1!
The testing wasn't planned so it is just coincidence. Happy or not - you to decide.
The BR only server was configured with pmove_fixed 1. It wasn't my or anyone's plan. We just forgot to change variable back, so sorry all who suffered from this. Take my&Tequila's appologies :)

Now to the bugs we have discovered.
1. The most funny bug is sticky dyno! If you still don't saw it - please welcome to Rane's video
Thank you all who participated in testing of this bug!
2. The high-ping guy dependency. This means that game became unplayable when we got guy with ping > 200. There is no your fault high-pingy guys. It's just how server handles such configuration.
There are lot of warpings, lags and so on. Just unplayable.

So, from now on - please make sure you have pmove_fixed 0 on your server. pmove_fixed 1 is really buggy.
This is true while it isn't fixed, of course. But now it is just not important thing to fix. I can even say that it is questionable fix.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby mLy! » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:08 pm

So when serverside pmove_fixed is set to 0,
Does the clientside pmove_fixed set to 1 still have any effetc? Like on the falling damage and jumping etc.
My Latest fragmovies:
Winning BB cup
mLy!
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:26 am

Nope, it doesn't.
pmove_fixed is server-side variable. You may turn it on or off if you're client. Major things still happen on the server.

The author of unlagged later created in his ufreeze tag (or something similar, don't remeber exactly the name of the mod - you may find this on his page - Altenate Fire) the cg_pmove_fixed. Which means you can switch it off when server has it on if you want to.

This is as I read and undrestood the code. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel