With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Runs slowly on linux

Postby Monty » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:54 pm

hello! nice to write you again, guys. now i have a really serious problem. i was able to run SG on Ubuntu 8.10, with it's "bugged" openAL, troubles with openGL etc. however, it runs too slowly to play. that friggin ATI mobility radeon 7500, which is integrated to my laptop, is not a miracle device, but is enough for SG. so, i tried to change the integrated driver (it's not supported even by developers themself) by the open driver, set it up.. everything works fine, except SG, which runs still the same slowly. don't you know where's the problem? on windows, using the same machine, it ran perfectly with the highest settings. however, i'm not going to put that system back to my little honey. btw, the graphic card maybe sucks, but what worked on windows, works the same on linux (even if it needs 3D acceleration and other stuff). don't you have some advice for me, guys?
Monty
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:37 pm

Uubntu 9.04 has been released :)
Do you use Compiz? SG doesn't work with Compiz for me :x
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby sparcdr » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:46 pm

I have the same card in my IBM Thinkpad T30 (Which is basically a brick now) and acceleration only works well enough under Windows with IBM's spin of ATI's drivers. The most I can play on it is Enemy Territory. Note that the accelerated video works partially under Linux with X.org 6.9 or higher, at least with OpenGL screensavers. But games more often than not do not work as expected. It's namely issues with dated and partial implementations of OpenGL extensions needed by the games. The free X.org driver is based on Mesa GL implementation, not the mainline SGI variant, and thus is not at par with ATI's official drivers.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Monty » Sun May 03, 2009 3:25 pm

oh geez.. now i realized that the only map that runs slowly for me on linux is alamo. however, alamo was the only map i tested while trying to run SG, so there's the problem.. uhm.. yeah. now i'll try to realize why alamo runs slowly now, and will play SG once again after two month.. ah..
Monty
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sun May 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Alamo is one of the more graphically intense maps. Also try New town and No Name City. Those three maps run slow on my laptop. It may just be the mobile video card.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Sun May 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Try out dm_dry, it seems to be more modest by comparison. How much vram you have in your 7500? (My Thinkpad has 16mb, which is partly why things don't work) Our recommended minimal is 32mb, with 64mb encouraged so you can play all the maps, but being a laptop it's certainly a non-option.
sparcdr
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel