With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

[SOLVED] No Servers Found...

Postby Darkweaver » Sun May 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Hey guys... this is my 1st post here, i downloaded Smokin' Guns a couple of days back while searching for new mods for Quake 3, and it's great!

only problem is, when i try to play online, no servers appear...

i have it set to internet, and when i click the "new list" button, it says it has found usually about 120 servers, but none appear on the list...
it works fine on Quake 3 when i server search, so im not certain whats up...

Im running a Linux computer, with *.i386 support (so thats the file i use to open SG)

a freind of mine downloaded it for windows by my recomendation, and he can find servers automatically, even though he hasn't messed with any settings, same as me.

any ideas on what i should do? i would appreciate any help you can give.
Last edited by Darkweaver on Fri May 29, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby sparcdr » Sun May 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Hi! Tequila would handle this, but it seems that the gametype is set wrong for some reason... maybe you need to try latest build from SVN? Try using server-spy.net to find a server, and then connect from console and see if that works, maybe something is blocked... though you said it refreshes 150 servers which none show up.

- James
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Sun May 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Well, what it says is:
"Gathering Info For <# of servers> (hit ESC to cancel)"

usually, it says about 120 to 140 servers in the <# of Servers> bit...

hmm... im quite good with computers usually, but im at a loss here...
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Sun May 03, 2009 10:46 pm

You can also use Monster Browser to find game servers.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 am

Pardner, he could using Wine but it won't be integrated like it is under Windows.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Mon May 04, 2009 6:33 am

I've posted a build for i386 linux of revision 220 (current as of this post) for you:

http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/bi ... inux/i386/

Make sure to chmod 755 the .i386 files so they work.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Mon May 04, 2009 10:51 am

brilliant
thanks for your help, i will mess with that in a short while. :D

Cheers guys!

::EDIT::

hang on, another reinstall of it? how will that work? i already have a .i386 file that works... isn't it more likely that it has something to do with the "Server.cfg" file?

(also, for the record, how do you chmod 755 the files? i know how to use Wine, and i know how the file types work, but i have only dabbled in using terminal to a minimal extent)
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby Lucky Bro » Tue May 05, 2009 7:57 am

Actually server list refresh works fine in 1.0 (and in 1.1 as well, see P.S.).

The root cause could be one of the following:
1. You press "refresh" button too rapidly. No point for doing this. You have to do pauses between tries. Because of mechanics how it works (the server will not send you new packets, but you'll refuse old ones (since you want new ones) - so you'll just get -1 in the botton of the page).
2. It is the ping/distance from you to quake master server problem. I have the same. Sometimes it gives me 2010 servers to filter, sometimes only 330/120. No workaround in this case.
3. It is master quake server loading. The same as previous - nothing you can do about it.

I don't use any monster browser or any quake browsers. Once I get a full list of servers I just put them all to favorites. And sometimes I just check them again.

Also you may find SG servers by any online quake game browser, and then just copy server IP and port from there and then paste it to the game console in the following form:
/connect <IP:port>

P.S. The problem with server list was at debug stage of 1.1 code. It is fixed now. Nothing to worry about. All mechanics are the same as in 1.0 (about getting servers list).
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Tue May 05, 2009 4:13 pm

You must be uninformed if you honestly think development stops anywhere; it doesn't. There are bugs in software, and you should know that as a Linux user because it's part of their model to rapidly crank out new releases of anything, even if it doesn't benefit you, the user. You can continue using the old binary, just name the new one smokinguns_new.i386 and run that instead. You can also create a new desktop icon file for it if you like. You have to make sure permissions are correct so it would run, since they are only preserved when in an archive (Like zip, tar) and not when I've put them on HTTP straight up.

From terminal, you would type:

Code: Select all
chmod 755 smokinguns_new.i386
in your smokinguns game directory. (Which you'd 'cd' into)

Not to seen rude but I highly suggest learning more about the operating system you use... even to this day it requires some occasional command-line use, and that to many is an advantage.

The data has not changed, at least not enough to necessitate users replacing it, but the code has radically changed thanks to the ioquake3 team's enhancements, people reporting bugs, Tequila's keen eye on issues and integration, and my ability to keep it working on other platforms.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm

What about a separate Masterserver for Smokin' Guns?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 pm

/dev/random wrote:What about a separate Masterserver for Smokin' Guns?

That would probably be the ideal solution. The only concern is that the "SG Master Server" could disappear over time. Definately need something permanent.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sparcdr » Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 am

Or redundant by using round robin DNS to offload the queries to each server for failsafe.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Darkweaver » Sat May 09, 2009 10:28 am

@-sparcdr:

im sorry if i seem uninformed, but i use Linux because out of neccessity rather than choice, as this was a windows laptop, unfortunatly, the heat-sync has broken and it is incredibly difficult to get into this laptop to remove it (so i use Linux because it generates less heat in the 5 mins it takes to load than windows does in the 30 secs it takes to load, otherwise the laptop overheats and dies, and i have to wait about 10 mins before it will turn on again...)

anywho, thnkyou for your help regardless, i will run the command you gave me on the new files.
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Postby sparcdr » Sat May 09, 2009 7:01 pm

It wasn't an insult. Most Linux users expect to replace their software in a lot less of a timeframe, so things have to be recompiled more often. This is why LSB exists, and it has been making progress. I'm just telling you to compile if you have issues.
sparcdr
SG Team

Still Problems...

Postby Darkweaver » Sun May 10, 2009 12:22 am

right, i added both the Smokin' Guns and Dedicated *.i386 files to the directory where the rest of the files are... then chmod 755'd them, when i double click on either of the *.i386 files, nothing happens.
Darkweaver
Pistolero

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel