With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

How to setup 1.1 version (latest binaries) & 3d info!

Postby Red_sunset » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:09 am

Here's some quotes from the topic Can't start game - white or grey screen - Windows Xp old sys which was mainly about firewall problems but also got into how to download and set up the 1.1 beta (latest binaries).

Where can I download it from?

ReD NeCKersoN wrote: For better support of higher resolutions try our latest binaries.
http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/bi ... 220/win32/

What are the system requirements?

Which files do I need and where do I put them?

sparcdr wrote:You only need vm dlls if you're a developer, and they will not work for multi-player so just disregard their existence. You need to have a copy of SDL.dll in the Smokin' Guns folder though. Having an updated OpenAL runtime is also necessary...

TIP:Before you replace smokinguns.exe with the new one, you should back it up (rename the original file something like smokinguns.bak) so that you can always revert back to the original 1.0 version if you need to.

Does it work in multiplayer?

sparcdr wrote: 1.1 (engine form) is available if you didn't know and there are a few maps floating around (not from us) which may in the future be added, if you're bored or something. The 'current' binaries are already very close to what we expect to release, whenever that is, and the only bugs that are notable will be cured when the content is synchronized again. The buy menu esc bug is the only notable one, and it shouldn't impede gameplay, and yes this works multiplayer....

What is the buy menu esc bug?

sparcdr wrote:...you will encounter a UI bug with the buy menu with 1.1 on 1.0 servers until we release the update and everyone is synchronized. The workaround is to simply open the buy menu to get what you need, hit esc, and when it doesn't close, to simply hit the buy ('b') button again to close the menu.

How do I get it to run in widescreen?

How do you make it run in 3d (anaglyph rendering) (only for 1.1 version)?

You need to set the console command "r_anaglyphMode" to a non-zero value. There are different values for different coloured 3d glasses, listed below from left eye to right eye.

1: red-cyan
    2: red-blue
    3: red-green
    4: cyan-red
    5: blue-red
    6: green-red

For more details see the ioquake3 (which 1.1 is based on) wiki at http://wiki.ioquake3.org/Stereo_Rendering

How do I put the console command for 3d into the game?

To try it out you can put it into the console during a game
    Press ` (above the tab button) type in \ then the command in red below

seta r_anaglyphMode "x"
    (change x to whichever 3d glasses mode you require)

To turn it off again, type in \seta r_anaglyphMode "0"

(I hope you have your 3d glasses on or you're going to need spectacles anyway! :wink: )

The updated version sounds amazingly better and runs better on my computers. Well worth it! 8) Gotto find some 3d glasses! may even sit through a kids movie if I have to! :-)
Last edited by Red_sunset on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

I tip my hat to ya
Red_sunset
Drifter

Postby Red_sunset » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:37 am

Updated the above info today so it has more detail about what to do with the files after you download them :idea:

Please note that the updated binaries can be found on folders coming off from http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/binaries/.
There has been one update (ver 229) since the 220 version for linux.

I tip my hat to ya
Red_sunset
Drifter

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:12 pm

Well, it took some shuffling to get the 1.1 files in the right places, and my tilde key won't open the ingame console now, for some reason (ideas?), but the wide screen graphics are razor sharp! Amazingly clear!
Thanks!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

console

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:28 am

The 1.1 upgrade is really fun to play online. I still can't figure why the console key doesn't work, as it is in the config the way it should be. But nothing happens. Hard to read long player taunts if you can't bring up the console! :lol:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:25 am

:D
Nice to hear ChainLightnin'.

About the console key feature, you should know it is the ioQuake3 engine fault. You really have to hit the "~" char key. But you can tune it by using the new "cl_consoleKeys" cvar which by default is set to "~ ` 0x7e 0x60". To know the keycode for your loved key, try to set it to a keybing you don't use using the "Controls" UI and it will tell you the real code you have to use. For example, I obtain "WORLD_18" for my "2" char at the upper left, so I've set cl_consoleKeys to "~ ` 0x7e 0x60 WORLD_18". Now it's working like before.

In fact, that's the fault of SDL library, not directly ioQuake3 ;)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Clintstone » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi ChainLightnin',

for me, Shift+~ (on a German keyboard, top-left button next to "1") works in 1.1. I like it more this way, as switching to knifes accidently resulted in the console popping down and me getting cut into pieces :D

All the best,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Thanks guys, I may be missing a file or update or something. I'v tried a dozen different things, and still no console. But it otherwise seems to work great! There is even no buy menu glitch, that was mentioned. :? :)
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby torhu » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 pm

If you're editing q3config.cfg directly, make sure it's the right one. Mine is in "c:\Documents and Settings\Tor\Application Data\Quake3\smokinguns\", the 1.1 engine doesn't use the local one.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:08 pm

Ah, I found that file like you said Torhu, so I added seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60" , but nothing happened. The ` is already bound to toggleconsole. Not my area of expertise, I guess. :roll:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:15 pm

Best to prune the migrated configuration files when switching to 1.1.

Windows -
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\SmokinGuns
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SmokinGuns

UNIX/Linux -
~/.q3

Mac -
~/Library/Application Support/SmokinGuns

Should probably have a current q3config.cfg up for people having problems... it's not worthwhile to redownload a bunch of things yet, just need to put a few files in place and be done with it until there's new map(s).

1.0 does not replicate, but 1.1 will... so any modifications could be lost, could cause problems, so just keep the smokinguns/q3config.cfg smokinguns/default.cfg files... since I'm not the one making content, I couldn't tell you which one is safe to delete, if at all.. merging them together is probably best.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:14 am

Well, I went to see UP last night and got some 3d glasses. So I've tried the anaglyph cvar, as well as the console toggle in almost every .cfg file in the computer. Nothing. The wide screen "17" works great in the autoexec I created, but nothing else seems to have any effect there either. Deleted files, reloaded SDL, no change. Doesn't seem like it should be difficult at all. Oh well. Also interesting that "Controls" doesn't see the "~`" key at all, like it doesn't exist. You can't assign it or find its code. :?:
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:24 am

I don't really know... since it seems to be something that was pulled from ioquake3 during the merge that broke it. What I do is port it, and SDL, OpenAL, other stuff is working... more unexposed CVARS may be the issue, perhaps not.. in other news it's my birthday, and I'm now 21.
sparcdr
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:11 pm

sparcdr wrote:I don't really know... since it seems to be something that was pulled from ioquake3 during the merge that broke it. What I do is port it, and SDL, OpenAL, other stuff is working... more unexposed CVARS may be the issue, perhaps not.. in other news it's my birthday, and I'm now 21.

offtopic: happy birthday sparcdr! :D
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:08 am

Yah, happy 21st! I got the anaglyph to work! quite cool! 8) (The Disney UP movie used polarized 3D, so those glasses didn't work, but the colored ones do). Obviously I found the correct .cfg file and all the entries for the console toggle are there, but still no console. Go figure?
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:02 am

Glad it works.
sparcdr
SG Team

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel