With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Postby Red_sunset » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:41 am

Howdy again! Been offline for a while.

ChainLightnin' -
    glad you got the 1.1 update to work and 3d! Great hey!
    You won't get the buy menu bug unless you join a server running version 1.0.
    Sorry to hear about your ` console bug. I googled "ioquake3 ` no console" and a few others have the same problem (didn't see a solution except for a download patch for German keyboards) so it's a problem with the ioquake3 engine. I wonder if you have a standard american keyboard?

sparcdr - hope you had a great 21st birthday.

About Smokin' Guns 3d. It's outstanding! :P -
I got 4 pairs of red / cyan (blue) anaglyph glasses free with the dvd "Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus" (Birthday present for my little girl and me too!) :D

The whole family is on a 3d kick now. :lol: There are a lots of other 3d dvds available listed at The Illustrated 3D DVD List
Also fun pictures and more on the net like Swell 3D
Heaps of new movies are coming out in 3d (e.g. all the new Pixar ones) but there are competing technologies as usual and different glasses types. Not all cinemas can show the 3d effects either.

This game has had a personal affect on me as well. Found out I need reading glasses from having problem focusing one eye w/ 3d glasses. 8O Thanks Smokin' Guns!

I tip my hat to ya
Red_sunset
Drifter

Postby ChainLightnin' » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:04 pm

Interesting. I use a Logitech wireless keyboard. It works for 1.0 and everything else, but maybe there is some difference for ioquake3?
Thanks for the research!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:56 am

Wondering, I have some of the polarized 3d glasses that the latest Pixar guys are using. Is that a giant totally different process that would be hard to implement with SG?

Also, Logitech is of Swiss origin. Wonder if the German patch for the keyboard would work?
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:18 am

Good day ChainLightnin',

Have you tried to use shift+esc (escape character) combination to get the console? It have to work too.

About
seta cl_consoleKeys "~ ` 0x7e 0x60"
To use a new key for console toggle you have to add to that variable list ("~ ` 0x7e 0x60" - the four keys - ~, `, 0x7e and 0x60) a new keycode. Like in Tequila's case it is WORLD_18.
The only problem is to get the code. I haven't understood what Tequila meant when he wrote "and it will tell you the real code" (Who is that "it"? Since UI controls just wrote the key character which I usually use with bind command).

Those polarized glasses could work without any additional code in SG. It is depends on how they work. So if you got the model and which is more important a description - probably it is not too hard to answer on your question. But if you have model and description than maybe you have the glasses and can try it? :)
Most Pixar guys are using TFT monitors without any glasses :) Just like we do. They are workers. :)

Red_sunset wrote:TIP:Before you replace smokinguns.exe with the new one, you should back it up (rename the original file something like smokinguns.bak) so that you can always revert back to the original 1.0 version if you need to.

Just rename new exe to any other name (like smokinguns.1.1.exe) and place it near main exe. I have a whole bunch of those already..

EDIT:
The keys listed in cl_consolekeys works to me only in conjunction with shit. For example, for
/cl_consolekeys "m n"
Console is opened for shift+n or shift+m or as it recommended by ioQuake team by shift+esc.

Have a nice day!
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:32 pm

Thanks LB. Well, I can't seem to get the polarized glasses to do anything, whatever variable I use. Still mainly would like to have a consol! The code is in there, but no combination of buttons will bring it up. It is like it doesnt recognize the "esc" bsutton on the keyboard. I would assign another if I could figure that out???
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:02 pm

Sad to hear ChainLightnin' :(
Try to do the following:
Add the following string to your config file (to autoexec.cfg for example in you C:/Documents and settings/<Username>/Quake3/smokinguns/autoexec.cfg):
seta cl_consoleKeys "n m"

After that launch the game and press shift (right one!) + n or shift + m. Also if it doesn't work try to use left shift.
Tell the results.

You are not the first who encounter the trouble with ioQ3 engine & its console. I'm sure there is a solution :)

Good luck, hope you'll get your console back eventually! Playing without it like playing blind especially with 1.1 engine :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Clintstone » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:04 pm

Cheers,

Lucky Bro wrote:Those polarized glasses could work without any additional code in SG. It is depends on how they work. So if you got the model and which is more important a description - probably it is not too hard to answer on your question. But if you have model and description than maybe you have the glasses and can try it? :)

Are you sure about that? I thought you needed the right surface for presentation. A quick cross check with Wikipedia seems to substantiat this (well, ok, it's just Wikipedia):
Wikipedia wrote:The difficulty arises because light reflected from a motion picture screen tends to lose a bit of its polarization. However, this problem is eliminated if a 'silver' or Aluminized screen is used.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarized_3D_glasses

Just an idea why it might not work as expected.

All the best,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby ChainLightnin' » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:43 am

Yehaw LB, It works! And if I put caps lock on, I dont even have to use shift! It is only the tilde key (`~) that 1.1 doesn't seem to see at all. (I think I incorrectly said "Esc" before). Could be this wireless Logitech compatability with 1.1? Very interesting about the palarized 3d, Clintstone. Looks like the red/cyan system is the one for SG!
Thanks guys! :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:30 am

Clintstone,
If I got it right from quote - it is about cinema screens.
I meant that there some realizations of polarized glasses. And each firm tries to do it on its own. So sometimes everything is done inside drivers for OS and your hardware, like the iZ3D guys done (iZ3d technologie - I think they did very good realization - you get Monitor, Glasses and drivers (drivers could be used separately bit with lower modes possible, to be honest they are the only one customer who do free extended 3D stereo-drivers for latest nVidia cards and not only anaglyph as nVidia by themselves and only for Vista :()). Or some 3D reality helms (their problem is that they have max 800x600 resolution while technologies with bigger resolution are very expensive :( and I feel very inconvenient with them (I tried one recently - wasn't fun)).
ioQuake3 has implementation of anaglyph mode only inside the source code. Which is not a big trouble since as I said usually it is done within drivers and not in the game itself (check out latest nVidia 3D stereo stuff - 3D Vision Overview).
If you are really interested in basics of 3D stereo I would suggest you'll take a short look here - Meant to be seen. The article has very nice description of 3D stereo in nowadays. At least it helped me a bit while I was testing 3D helm I got for 2 days for tests.
So, that is why I said it is depend on current 3D glasses model you have. I think there shouldn't be any trouble with most technologies and glasses since most of times they are game-undependable.

ChainLightnin',
Glad to hear :). So is shift+Esc working for you? If so than it is great, since almost everyone uses that solution when '~' isn't working.
Yeah, the root cause could be with keyboard and SDL (software driver layer which SG 1.1 and ioQ are using), but I think you don't have to worry about anything - a lot of guys have the same trouble and they already used to shift+Esc :)

Have a good day!
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Clintstone » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:23 am

Hi Lucky Bro,
Lucky Bro wrote:If you are really interested in basics of 3D stereo I would suggest you'll take a short look here - Meant to be seen. The article has very nice description of 3D stereo in nowadays. At least it helped me a bit while I was testing 3D helm I got for 2 days for tests.

Thanks for the link! I'll give it a go. What I wrote above was indeed motivated by a visit to "Ice Age 3", where they told me that they needed this special coating for the screen. Anyway - thanks again! And concerning the anaglyph red/green shift 3D in SG: Perfectly works for me with some glasses which were shipped as give away with a computer magazine here in Germany a few weeks ago. Nice stuff!

All the best,

Clintstone
Clintstone
Quick Draw

Postby Red_sunset » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 am

YEH! ChainLightnin' can get into the console now, he can really hack the game now! :P (No insult intended, I mean in the true meaning of hacking, a technical expert exerting control over the program Hacker (computing) )

Glad there's a solution to get into the console and having it on here will help some other people that might have the same problem. Thanks for the 3d info Clintstone. There's so many competing formats at the moment! as bloomin' usual with anything new. :roll: (Though there were 3d movies in the 50s and earlier!)

Lucky Bro - great advice and info on 3d. Are you a programmer? I studied some C+, visual basic, but am just a hobbyist, haven't done any for a while.

Now I've got anaglyph glasses, have been watching some more 3d movies on dvd: Sharkboy & Lavagirl (pretty good), SpyKids 3d (ok). With my kid of course, it's all for her! :wink:

I tip my hat to ya
Red_sunset
Drifter

Postby ChainLightnin' » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:46 am

Haha yah, as you mentioned before, that little autoexec.cfg is a big help in the smokinguns folder. Just about any other key works for consol as well (except"~", of course). I have the anaglyph, video enhancement, and other cool new variables in the autoexec and they're sure easy to find and change there. 1.1 is a blast and my graphics and sound are fabulous,... but it sure is hard to score points in this new big batch of hotshot players! Is there a cannon that fires? 8O :lol: :D
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Mac update

Postby cant_playy » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Any suggestions on loading 1.1 into the mac version? 8O
cant_playy
Newcomer

DIY

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:48 pm

You can build it any time by yourself.
If you can't/don't want/don't know what it means - you have to wait until sparcdr will update the links on his site. Also you may ask him private to send you the binaries.

Any questions concerning building feel free to ask on the main SG IRC channel. There is usually at least one of SG devs. or me.
After that - it would be nice if you'll write the guide "how to build the game for Mac OS".

Have a good day!
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby sparcdr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:17 am

The Mac version has always since I released it been from 1.1.. it was impossible to build before. Hell, I even compiled i386 version for OpenSolaris too from 1.1.

I'm sorry the hosting is down.. things fell through but I have another host to use, just had to wait until now for DNS to fix so the site is pointed correctly, and then I have to get the stuff back up.. too bad no one felt like mirroring before, kinda annoying...

Somebody can spin a torrent, we don't have the IGN anti-commercial distribution contract anymore, so please distribute it via CD or copy over LAN to friends, etc.

Maybe I'll create a torrent for you guys, it would help our new host out a lot, since they don't have a CDN (Content Delivery Network) like FP did. I want to see Generic/Mac/Windows versions separate of course, because people get annoyed when they download all three.. or just make a torrent of the zip + exe + dmg, then user can select files to download.

I can document build procedure, but basically you need XCode, but there's no IDE project file, and you should definitely have MacPorts installed to aid with some dependencies. OpenAL, OpenGL, etc. are included with the developer tools (XCode) so it's automatic there, but SDL is not.
sparcdr
SG Team

PreviousNext

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel