With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Laggy gameplay

Postby Einh » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi everyone, I have just downloaded Smokin Guns version 1.0 and the game looks great. However im experiencing laggy gameplay from time to time. The problem is that when im on a server the game freezes/lags ca 0.5 seconds every 30-60 seconds of gamplay. This is really annoying especially when im involved in a gunfight. I have pressed the tab-button when it happens to and i have seen that i get some spikes then. However my ping doesnt seem to change. This problem occurs even if im playing on a low ping server. I have Vista and i use a wireless network for internet connection.
Any help would be appreciated.
Einh
Newcomer

Postby Allied » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Hey einh,

The problem is that Vista has a wireless network check every 30 seconds. I use a batch file to disable this check while I'm playing SG. However this isn't the simplest to set up, you need to know your network ID and a few other things.

You can just disable this way:
Start -> Run (if you don't have Run in your start menu, see footnote)
Copy and paste this line in:
Code: Select all
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=no interface="Wireless Network Connection"

Click OK

To reenable autocheck:
Start -> Run
Copy and paste this line in:
netsh wlan set autoconfig enabled=yes interface="Wireless Network Connection"

Click OK

To enable Run in the start menu:
Right click the Start button and click Properties
Click Customize to the right of the Start Menu radio button
Scroll down in the list until you see the "Run" checkbox, if it's unchecked then check it
Click OK
Click OK
You now have Run in the Start menu.

Hope that helps!
Allied
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby RailedRobin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Does disabling this check mean I'm going to get problems with my computer/connection later on? Like the computer not finding a wireless network or similar? Or can I just leave it off?
You see, I too have been experiencing some difficulties while playing, so I'm gonna try this and see if it helps, just don't want to mess up my computer in some other way.

But thank you, for this!
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Allied » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:15 pm

If you leave it off, and then your wireless connection drops out - it will NOT reconnect and you won't be able to reconnect manually either. If you have a stable wireless connection, then you could just make two batch files and put them on your desktop - one to enable, one to disable. Then if your wireless ever does drop out, you can just doubleclick the enable one, wait for it to reconnect, then doubleclick the disable one again.
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby RailedRobin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Should I just type the code into the batch files, or do I have to type something more, like where to find netsh or similar?
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Einh » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi Allied and thank you for your answer. I tried it but it didnt work. I remember that i have tried a similar solution to this problem, http://forums.techarena.in/video-games/1143045.htm (the last post), however it didnt work even tough i followed reddevil6s instructions carefully. I typed "netsh wlan show settings" in the command prompt to show my network name but it didnt work later when i should disable it. I went into the control panel for network options to see the network name there and i tried that one to, but it didnt work either it just says that there is no such wireless interface on the computer. Do you guys know a way to find the real wireless network name because now i have 3 names, Sitecom, Wireless networkconnection 4, and Netgear.
Einh
Newcomer

Postby RailedRobin » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:37 pm

You could check out this link and see if that's your problem.
I had really bad connection when playing SG, thanks to this problem. You should check it just to make sure.
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby Allied » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 pm

RailedRobin wrote:Should I just type the code into the batch files, or do I have to type something more, like where to find netsh or similar?

You can put the commands straight into a batch file. netsh is on the system path.

Einh wrote:Hi Allied and thank you for your answer. I tried it but it didnt work. I remember that i have tried a similar solution to this problem, http://forums.techarena.in/video-games/1143045.htm (the last post), however it didnt work even tough i followed reddevil6s instructions carefully. I typed "netsh wlan show settings" in the command prompt to show my network name but it didnt work later when i should disable it. I went into the control panel for network options to see the network name there and i tried that one to, but it didnt work either it just says that there is no such wireless interface on the computer. Do you guys know a way to find the real wireless network name because now i have 3 names, Sitecom, Wireless networkconnection 4, and Netgear.

You need to enter the name of your wireless network device, not your wireless network name. If the exact command I put in doesn't work, see what wireless interfaces you have by doing this command:
netsh wlan show interfaces

See what the "Name:" field says.
Allied
Quick Draw

Postby Einh » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:11 pm

Thank you alot Allied, i successfully disabled it and now gameplay runs much smoother.
Einh
Newcomer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel