With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

A few questions~

Postby Mastik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Hey, I'm new to this game (and I think it's pretty great!) and I have some questions about it:
1) I noticed it's a bit hard to hit a strafing target, do you need to predict your shots? there is some sort of "ballistic" system? and is it ping-dependent?
Cause I used to play Enemy Territory (same engine) and you didn't need to predict your shots even on high pings (insta-shot).
2) I try to set Sync Every Frame on, but it keep setting itself back to off when I re-start the game, what is the sync every frame command and where do I place the autoexec file with it?
3) Is there any estimated release date for 1.1?

Thanks in advance.
Will see ya in the servers :D
Mastik
Drifter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 am



Re: A few questions~

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:06 pm

Mastik wrote:1) I noticed it's a bit hard to hit a strafing target, do you need to predict your shots? there is some sort of "ballistic" system? and is it ping-dependent?
Cause I used to play Enemy Territory (same engine) and you didn't need to predict your shots even on high pings (insta-shot).


it depends. theres alot of things that could play a part. with high ping difference between you and your opponent it is harder to hit one another. there is lag compensation but it doesnt completely fix everything since lag is still lag.

if you have the same ping or close to it. then it depends on how you are shooting. if you are running or strafing yourself then your shots will spread more than if you were crouching or standing. if you are jumping and shooting your spread is the highest! ;)
bullets do not fall so dont worry about that. sometimes you do need to aim slightly ahead of a person seeing that the bullet needs to travel to the person before it hits.
thats about all i can think of off the top of my head :) hope that helps and enjoy the game!
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
User avatar
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am



Re: A few questions~

Postby Tequila » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Mastik wrote:3) Is there any estimated release date for 1.1?

Hi and welcome,
I'm working on cleaning some stuffs I worked on in 1.1 engine. I now can say a beta test will start soon with great fixes.
But don't ask for a date :P I'm not such a guy.
8)
User avatar
Tequila
SG Team
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:33 pm
Location: Montpellier, France



Re: A few questions~

Postby Mastik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 pm

Tequila wrote:
Mastik wrote:3) Is there any estimated release date for 1.1?

Hi and welcome,
I'm working on cleaning some stuffs I worked on in 1.1 engine. I now can say a beta test will start soon with great fixes.
But don't ask for a date :P I'm not such a guy.
8)

Comeone... Il'l do something romantic :lol:
So... Today when I played I really got used to predicting movement (Finished 1st, and yes I showoff :) )
A followup question, the higher the ping, the more distance I need to predict on a moving target? (like predict even further?)
And when Sucalakafufu said: "with high ping difference between you and your opponent it is harder to hit one another"
Means it's harder even for the one with the lower ping?
Mastik
Drifter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 am



Re: A few questions~

Postby moRtem » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Mastik wrote:A followup question, the higher the ping, the more distance I need to predict on a moving target? (like predict even further?)
And when Sucalakafufu said: "with high ping difference between you and your opponent it is harder to hit one another"
Means it's harder even for the one with the lower ping?


No -- The game uses Unlagged 2.01 -- a big dokumentation can be found at:
http://ra.is/unlagged/

But to say it short: What you Hit, is what you get (no matter which ping).

The Problems you may experience are:
- current Models don't seem to fit correctly to the hitzones used by the engine
- Spread of certain weapons (only noticable in big distances with cheaper weapons -> remington pistol e.g.)


/quit
User avatar
moRtem
Gunslinger
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm



Re: A few questions~

Postby Mastik » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 pm

moRtem wrote:- current Models don't seem to fit correctly to the hitzones used by the engine

/quit

Yea I kinda noticed that, will this be fixed on 1.1?
(Sorry for spamming questions :) )
Mastik
Drifter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 am



Re: A few questions~

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:12 pm

Mastik wrote:
moRtem wrote:- current Models don't seem to fit correctly to the hitzones used by the engine

/quit

Yea I kinda noticed that, will this be fixed on 1.1?
(Sorry for spamming questions :) )


i believe that it is being worked on in 1.1. Tequila can confirm or deny that.

Unlagged does help alot but the thing it doesnt change is that you may not see the person where they really are so you still may have to predict where they are. (usually only in really bad cases of lag)

also to answer your question on ping. it can sometimes be harder to hit someone with a high ping say 300 if you have ping 16 or so. this seems to mostly because of the visual display of the person lagging not really your bullets lagging. ive seen people with high ping "teleport" from spot to spot. ive also shot people with high ping with all of my bullets at a close range and they havent died. (for this im pretty sure its not really a hitbox issue because the same shots on a person with my ping will get them killed very easily) so even though unlagged helps alot. it doesnt seem to completely fix everything... at least for me :P
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
User avatar
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am



Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 pm

Howdy Mastik & welcome! I find that on certain servers it helps to lead the target ever so slightly. On others, I aim dead on. For strafers that dance back & forth, I use the "spray & pray" method. Dunno when 1.1 will be officially released. We used to give out projected release dates but that bit us in the butt most of the time. 8O
Image
User avatar
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team
 
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2002 6:22 am
Location: VA, USA



Re: A few questions~

Postby Ugly » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:15 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:ive also shot people with high ping with all of my bullets at a close range and they havent died.


I've benefited from this in games against you recently. :D

I've also spotted some weird behaviour with bots on some servers where there is a noticeable delay before they decide to die.
User avatar
Ugly
Pistolero
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:55 pm



Postby Mastik » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:06 am

Thank you all guyz!
Mastik
Drifter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 am



Re: A few questions~

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:51 am

Ugly wrote:
Sucalakafufu wrote:ive also shot people with high ping with all of my bullets at a close range and they havent died.


I've benefited from this in games against you recently. :D

lol yah u have :( but its still fun playing with yah :)

Ugly wrote:I've also spotted some weird behaviour with bots on some servers where there is a noticeable delay before they decide to die.

ive seen this too sometimes. also there is a bug ive noticed since the beginning where bots dont die or get hurt when being shot up. just like the ping difference but when theres no ping difference :(

bots hack i knows it!!!! :twisted:

Mastik wrote:Thank you all guyz!

no problem. hope to see you online! :D
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
User avatar
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger
 
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:59 am



Re: A few questions~

Postby moRtem » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:56 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:
Mastik wrote:
moRtem wrote:- current Models don't seem to fit correctly to the hitzones used by the engine

/quit

Yea I kinda noticed that, will this be fixed on 1.1?
(Sorry for spamming questions :) )


i believe that it is being worked on in 1.1. Tequila can confirm or deny that.


It's being worked on - but not sure if it will be ready until 1.1. (i believe partially it will be ready - but from my point of view also models would have to be remade, and i don't know of an active modeller within SG).

Unlagged does help alot but the thing it doesnt change is that you may not see the person where they really are so you still may have to predict where they are. (usually only in really bad cases of lag)


you always see players where they really are (you see, what the server saw a few ms ago)

ive seen people with high ping "teleport" from spot to spot. ive also shot people with high ping with all of my bullets at a close range and they havent died.


that's another problem which is not caused by high ping -- it's packet-loss plain and simple


/quit
User avatar
moRtem
Gunslinger
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm



Re: A few questions~

Postby Tequila » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:14 am

Sucalakafufu wrote:
Mastik wrote:
moRtem wrote:- current Models don't seem to fit correctly to the hitzones used by the engine

/quit

Yea I kinda noticed that, will this be fixed on 1.1?
(Sorry for spamming questions :) )


i believe that it is being worked on in 1.1. Tequila can confirm or deny that.

I'm working on something related, but I'm not sure this will help immediately. What I believe it will help to enhanced that part later. I also hope it will rise server performance a little in weapon shot handling, but I'll have performance testing to draw after beta testing release.

So don't consider it will be fixed on 1.1.
User avatar
Tequila
SG Team
 
Posts: 1088
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:33 pm
Location: Montpellier, France



Postby Mastik » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:22 pm

It looks like this high ping of mine (cause I'm from Israel) gives me some sort of an advantage?
Image
Mastik
Drifter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 am



Postby dowoshek » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:53 pm

No, i think you just were the best :) But don't worry, there are better than you around, just not on the list you posted ;)
User avatar
dowoshek
Gunslinger
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Poland



Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel