With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

New features for new players AND voting majority

Postby dowoshek » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:17 am

Hello,
I think all of us agree, that what we mostly need in SG at this time are new players, more, more and more new players :) This is, imho, even more important than improving source code.

But I've recently noticed (twice) a sad practice on BR servers. A new players were kicked, because they simply run around and couldn't find their way to bank. It was done almost immediately without any explanation. I suspect, that opposing team players treated him like a bad heavy camper, and few of his hot-mannered teammates didn't see anything wrong in pressing F1... but it no an explanation at all, it was simply stupid...

And because a large part of players in this kind of games are simply bad-mannered careless teenagers like above, maybe we should do something to protect new players... My suggestions are:
1. Adding arrows pointing to banks, just like the arrows to escape after robbing.
2. Setting "majority" in voting system at 70%. This way not only the opposing team but also few reasonably thinking guy in the other team would have to press F1. This would also solve the problem with permanent map changing (Durango, Mexico, Durango, Mexico, ...) and every other stupid votings (no reason kicks etc.)

Cheers,
Harmonica vel Bestia ;)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Re: New features for new players AND voting majority

Postby Sucalakafufu » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:05 pm

dowoshek wrote:1. Adding arrows pointing to banks, just like the arrows to escape after robbing.

this could be done. but it would also make me kind of sad even though it helps others out :( seeing an arrow to the bank would make me sad lol

dowoshek wrote:2. Setting "majority" in voting system at 70%. This way not only the opposing team but also few reasonably thinking guy in the other team would have to press F1. This would also solve the problem with permanent map changing (Durango, Mexico, Durango, Mexico, ...) and every other stupid votings (no reason kicks etc.)

i agree. at least make the voting percentage maybe 60% maybe not 70%. because at this moment if two players are playing one can kick the other with a vote haha :twisted:

i also think that alot of new players shouldnt be kicked. but then again alot of people try to kick me and accuse me of camping, hacking, cheating, being lucky and then voting me off :( and im no new player.... so these things might just happen anyway because bad players will be bad players :|
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Black Jack Ketchum » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:31 pm

Regarding Bank arrows: Wouldent it be posible to have a "noob" mode that you could turn off (in the settings menu) when you dont need it anymore?

Regarding Votes: In my opinion its not to often somebody actually gets kicked, its just annoying votes that cover my small 19" screen :roll:, i think it would be better to set a limit of votes for 10 minutes or what ever.

Example: When 3 votes are done you would have to wait 10 minutes to call 3 more.
The REAL Blackjack Ketchum
\/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_Ketchum

[R.I.P =Cowboys From Hell= Clan]
Black Jack Ketchum
Quick Draw

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:49 am

Black Jack Ketchum wrote:Regarding Bank arrows: Wouldent it be posible to have a "noob" mode that you could turn off (in the settings menu) when you dont need it anymore?

Regarding Votes: In my opinion its not to often somebody actually gets kicked, its just annoying votes that cover my small 19" screen :roll:, i think it would be better to set a limit of votes for 10 minutes or what ever.

Example: When 3 votes are done you would have to wait 10 minutes to call 3 more.

time limit for votes does sound pretty good :)

one thing about the arrows is that there are generally two banks in different directions. would that mean two arrows would point in different directions?
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby dowoshek » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:42 am

Yes, it could be two arrows of different colors. Of course it could be removed by experienced players, just like you can turn off arrows for escape path (you can do it in menu).

And, agree, 60% sounds more reasonable than 70. But limiting votes per minutes, imho, doesn't... for example, sometimes you have to kick teamkiller few times because he is back in a second.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby iap » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:19 am

One of the things of being a noob is not to find your way to the bank. I'm saying this because I'm a noob and most of the time I don't have a clues where is the bank. :)
I enjoy very much exploring the maps and searching for the bank, this, of course with the threat of the other team trying to kill me.
Seeing an arrow will just make me follow that arrow no matter, it would harm my game, as a noob.
I don't even think making this an option is a good idea.

By the way, the maps here are so incredibly well done with so much hiding places and surprises that making an arrow will also disrespect the (very talented) map makers, don't you think?
iap
Pistolero

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:05 pm

dowoshek wrote:But limiting votes per minutes, imho, doesn't... for example, sometimes you have to kick teamkiller few times because he is back in a second.

Tequila is working on something in 1.1 that should kick TKers from servers. it will be built into the code so no voting required :) i believe he is also implementing code that will kick the TKer for longer after repeat offenses

iap wrote:One of the things of being a noob is not to find your way to the bank. I'm saying this because I'm a noob and most of the time I don't have a clues where is the bank. Smile
I enjoy very much exploring the maps and searching for the bank, this, of course with the threat of the other team trying to kill me.
Seeing an arrow will just make me follow that arrow no matter, it would harm my game, as a noob.

that is true. if the more experienced players helped noobs or at least didnt yell at and kick the noobs then they could learn in the best way, exploring :) so the problem is probably with the players who get mad at noobs ;)

iap wrote:By the way, the maps here are so incredibly well done with so much hiding places and surprises that making an arrow will also disrespect the (very talented) map makers, don't you think?

it very much could. i think dowoshek was saying we should make it more "noob friendly"? although it could very much take away from the gameplay.

also it could actually keep noobs noobs. like they wouldnt be able to find the banks or exits without the arrows even after playing for months :(
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby iap » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Only other experienced players can make this game "noob friendly", not the game itself.
It happened to me in another game where an experienced player sew that I'm this oriented and just "trained" me.

How about making SERVERS for beginners, slightly experienced and top guns?
And a mixed server...
iap
Pistolero

Postby dowoshek » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:02 pm

iap wrote:Seeing an arrow will just make me follow that arrow no matter, it would harm my game, as a noob.

But that's what you exactly see when you get a bag - arrows directing you at exit point. These arrows are (were) very helpful for me during my first BR games, now i turned them off... Similar arrows could help you to get the bag first and learn the map... If you'd feel bad with them, you could always turn them off - a matter of choice.

And speaking about realism of SG... hey... i'd like too see a robber who wants to rob a bank but never been in the city so have no idea where to go, running around with colts... when you want to rob, you should have a plan ;)
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby iap » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:05 pm

dowoshek wrote: when you want to rob, you should have a plan ;)

That's something you here only in westerns movies... :D

"When you want to rob, rob, don't talk!"
iap
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:40 pm

Sucalakafufu wrote:Tequila is working on something in 1.1 that should kick TKers from servers. it will be built into the code so no voting required :) i believe he is also implementing code that will kick the TKer for longer after repeat offenses

Don't expect too much of that feature. TK at the moment will eventually be able to be kicked temporarily if the server TK control is enabled using 1.1 engine. Btw check that thread to know more about the feature: More CVARS please?. Btw TK will be able to connect again immediately, we may just hope they will be bored to be kicked at some time :)
For the longer time, we will really think of it later if anti-TK feature is not efficient. But that won't be necessary to release another engine update as using server side tool like B3 may help a lot (check this thread:
B3 (aka Big Brother Bot)

And to conclude, I'm not working on it. It is done and won't probably be enhanced until next release. Players will judge us after :P
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:44 pm

iap wrote:One of the things of being a noob is not to find your way to the bank. I'm saying this because I'm a noob and most of the time I don't have a clues where is the bank. :)

By the way, the maps here are so incredibly well done with so much hiding places and surprises that making an arrow will also disrespect the (very talented) map makers, don't you think?

MisterX created this very nice wallpaper that shows all the banks in the current SG release:
pics/wallpapers/sg_br.jpg

What I keep telling people is that most of the time the money bag is in the building with the sign that says Bank! :D
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:44 pm

@Tequila
ic ic my mistake again :( haha
B3 doesnt seem too bad. i play on vGames sometimes just to see my stats on B3 :P
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:52 pm

You're welcome Sucalakafufu,
that's always a good thing some people are watching at our work ;) That means we are not completely alone :D
Maybe you'll appreciate what I'm preparing :roll:
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 am

Tequila wrote:You're welcome Sucalakafufu,
that's always a good thing some people are watching at our work ;) That means we are not completely alone :D
Maybe you'll appreciate what I'm preparing :roll:

hehe i appreciate all the things ur working on xD i check out the code every so often :P
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Next

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel