With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

.exe installer could have a trojan

Postby Redwing » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm not sure yet, just warning you guys, but I tried to download the .exe installer of 1.0 for Windows the other day, and since then, my computer has been doing very badly. The file itself is worthless; it won't run at all. One thing I noted was that it froze Firefox upon download completion. The file was left as a .part on the desktop, but shortly after I restarted FF, it merged. When I ran it, it gave me errors, which made me think it was corrupted. So I tried to delete it, and the system wouldn't let me. My antivirus then shut itself down, and everything froze. It even froze a program called DeleteDoctor which is made to remove Trojan/corrupted files. So I booted into my Ubuntu partition and deleted it (very easily). Now a lot of my Firefox addons are randomly reinstalled and their preferences are removed. I'm not sure quite what's going on, but all of this centers around the Smokin' Guns .exe installer. Thought you guys should know.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby torhu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:52 pm

Sound like a compatibility problem between Firefox and your antivirus program. Try download with IE instead.

Just to be on the safe side, from where did you download the file?
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:28 pm

torhu wrote:Sound like a compatibility problem between Firefox and your antivirus program. Try download with IE instead.

Just to be on the safe side, from where did you download the file?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials, and it's never caused problems for me before. After I've removed the file, everything seems to have returned to normal. I downloaded it from FilePlanet first, then the first mirror site listed. Both of them screwed up the download. So the issue might be on my end after all, but I thought you might want to know at least.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby torhu » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Ok, thanks. Definitely looks like the problem is at your end, yes.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 am

That's why I'd like to see checksums right here on the download page.
See how the WoP-Team solved it, they're even mentioning the exact filesize.
(But forgot to do the same for the other downloads :roll: )
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel