With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Trouble with Ubuntu Linux please help

Postby gunsmoker » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Hi, I posted this under the sticky but wasnt sure if anyone would see it.

I also thought about it more and am not sure if I am usin 32 bit or 64 bit, if that is part of the problem, and how to find out which one I am using.

Hi, I downloaded SG to my home folder, I then extracted it to my home folder, changed the folder name to SmokinGuns, then changed the smokinguns.x86 file to a executable one by clicking the box.

It would not work, and I read here that I should try to open it in a terminal and see what error message I get:

I did: cd SmokinGuns
./smokinguns.x86

it said: ./smokinguns.x86: error while loading shared libraries: libopenal.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any help in resolving this issue is greatly appreciated
Thank you
gunsmoker
Pistolero

Postby dowoshek » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 am

There's solution for this problem on the forum. As far as i remember, you need to link so.0 with so.1... just search the forum.
dowoshek
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:04 am

Hi and welcome gunsmoker,

we saw your other post but that's always better to open a new thread.

Btw, you have few solutions to try:
1. If you have a 64 bits system, you may want to install openal for 32 bits as provided binary in SG 1.0 is only supporting 32 bits. Btw check is an OpenAL package is installed on your system. You can check first which library is installed with "ls -l /usr/lib/libopenal* /usr/lib64/libopenal*" command in a console.
2. If you have 32 bits library installed but as libopenal.so.1, you may try a link as dowoshek said, but you should better just try to add "+set s_alDriver libopenal.so.1" when starting the game from the commandline.
3. You may also try without OpenAL setting "+set s_useOpenAL 0" on the commandline. So SDL will try native ALSA, PulseAudio or OSS system looking what is installed.
4. You may also try the binary from the beta which still has better OpenAL support. Look at the corresponding forum: SG 1.1 Beta Testing. You'll find binary built for Ubuntu on the sparcdr FTP site.

To see which kind of platform you own, try to start "uname -a" command on the commandline. If you see "x86_64", you have a 64 bits system.

8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby gunsmoker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:41 pm

Hi, thank you for responses.

I am not really sure what much of what you suggested means or how to do it. I tried to do what Yap suggested in the sticky and it tried to load the game but said it could not.

I tried to do the uname -a to see what system I am running and this is what it said:

computer@computer:~$ uname -a
Linux computer 2.6.28-16-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 20 19:48:24 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

it did not say anything about 32 bit or 64 bit, do you know what I am running?
gunsmoker
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:49 pm

Yes your system is a 32 bits one: "i686" is 32 bits based system.

I saw your other response, but you seem now to have a different problem. You seem to miss an opengl driver. Which kind of video card do you own in your computer ? You should find a way to install the corresponding driver. For that you should better check Ubuntu forums.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby gunsmoker » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:31 pm

K, I have been working on this today, My graphics is Mobile Intel GL40 Express Chipset

I went to the Intel website to get drivers and I think I found the one I need but they don't offer it for ubuntu at all. just redhat, wind river, fedora, moblin, and dos.

you think I am out of luck?
gunsmoker
Pistolero

Postby Tequila » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:55 pm

I think you should check if you installed the "xserver-xorg-video-intel" package. It seems your card you be natively supported. You may also just have to select your video driver in some system tool. I'm sorry I don't know Ubuntu more... I promess I'll try it someday.
;)

Btw can you try the binary provided by sparcdr and built for Ubuntu. Get it there: http://www.smokin-guns.org/downloads/bi ... linux/x86/
This is engine from the current beta, but it can really help you.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby gunsmoker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:18 am

Hi tequila,

thank you for your input.

How do I check to see if xserver-xorg-video-intel is installed, and if it is not, how do i install it?

I am playing with the system tools now to see if that works

I downloaded the smokinguns.i836 but am not sure what to do with the file now?

EDIT: I made the file executable and then double clicked it, SG opened up and was playable!!! Down side is all audio was static but that is a start.
thanks tequila

Any advice on the audio?
gunsmoker
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 pm

For the audio, have you seen this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1981
Pardner
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar