With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Ability to Save Player Name?

Postby Slizer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi guys,

I was just wondering whether it's possible to keep your in-game name saved as I have to keep changing it every time I enter.
Looking for a clan & buddies!
Slizer
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 pm

What operating system are you using? If you pull down the console in game "~" and type "/name Slizer" you will probably see something like "cannot write to q3config.cfg"

So make sure that the Smokin' Guns directory has read/write permissions. If that doesn't work, you can add "/name Slizer" to the q3config.cfg manually. If that doesn't work add "/name Slizer" to the autoconfig.cfg.

Pardner
SG Team

Postby Slizer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Pardner. It's Vista (I've only got access to this desktop for a month, it's not mine) and you are correct in saying I keep getting this message -

cannot write to q3config.cfg

The permissions are fine so I'll have a go at adding it manually now.

Thanks again.
Slizer
Drifter

Postby Slizer » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:22 pm

This will be my final post, I promise! :D

I can see the files, etc but how do I add /name Slizer exactly?
Slizer
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:45 pm

Slizer wrote:This will be my final post, I promise! :D

I can see the files, etc but how do I add /name Slizer exactly?

.cfg files can be opened in a text editor. So Open With-->Wordpad. Then go all the way to the end of the document and add your /name.

You really should get it to work because if you decide to change keys around or lower the music volume, these settings get saved in the same place as your name. If you cannot write to the q3config.cdf then they will not be saved.

You can also right click on the Smokin' Guns shortcut and Properties--> Run as administrator. If that doesn't work then you know you dont have the permissions set to full.

Make sure select your username/profile when you are setting the file permissions. it doesn't sound like you are logged in as an administrator:
[thumb=http://forum.smokin-guns.org/userpix/357_2_1.jpg][timg]357_2_1.jpg[/timg][/thumb]
Pardner
SG Team

Postby moRtem » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:51 am

Since you got Vista, i suppose your problem is something different:

In case you installed your game in "C:\Program Files\", you are most likely a victim of Vista's so-called "Virtual Store".
Your problem should be solved, if you move the Smokin' Guns Folder from "C:\Program Files" to any other location on your PC (e.g. "C:\Games\"). I suppose, also pardner's suggestion ("Run as Administrator") would fix the problem.

In case you don't want to move your Smokin'-Guns folder, you might consider to update to 1.1b3 (1.1 beta 3) which can be found here:
viewtopic.php?t=2004

The problem you descriped most likely won't exist in 1.1, but like the name indicates, it is still a beta. For more info, check:
viewforum.php?f=33

/quit
moRtem
Gunslinger

Postby Slizer » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks for all the help Pardner! It's all sorted now after adjusting the files and running as the administrator.

Thank you moRtem as well for clarifying everything.

Hopefully this post will help future players like me :P
Slizer
Drifter

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel