With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Postby LinuxDanP » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:58 pm

Oops! :oops: Sorry ReD NeCKersoN, Pardner. That's just me not paying enough attention... :oops:

So, the v1.1 engine is compatible with the v1.0 files, and vise-versa? Right now I'm using the v1.1b4-r531 engine. The weird thing is that if the error message is correct, it's failing to LOAD the file from the pk3, not crashing the QVM because of a version mis-match.

Here's the search path it's using:
Code: Select all
.smokinguns/smokinguns
SmokinGuns/smokinguns/sg_maps0.pk3 (161 files)
SmokinGuns/smokinguns/joekarimat1.pk3 (178 files)
SmokinGuns/smokinguns/alamo1.pk3 (14 files)
SmokinGuns/smokinguns
SmokinGuns/baseq3/pak0.pk3 (107 files)
SmokinGuns/baseq3

Which is a little odd because it's not picking up the sg_sounds or the sg_textures pk3s. I have them in the smokinguns directory. I also checked permissions on all of the pk3s, and set them as executable just in case.
LinuxDanP
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Just so I get you right, all the pk3s are somewhere inside a "smokinguns" folder? (except for the legacy one in baseq3).
Since the dedicated server should use the same paths and thus files, fire up smokinguns_dedicated and tell us what fs_homepath and fs_basepath are set to and which files are inside these folders*.

Execute permission is not needed, since pk3 are simple data files in zip-format.

v1.0 engine is quake3. v1.1 engine is ioquake, which is backwards compatible. v1.1 data uses qvms which are only compatible with ioquake versions. v1.0 data uses quake3 qvms, which can be read by ioquake as well. So in short: v1.1 engine works with any, v1.0 only with v1.0 data.

The errormessage in question is triggered, when the qvm file can not be loaded. If it were the wrong version, the engine should warn about a wrong header or unrecognised file format.

The engine loads files from fs_basepath first, then additionally from fs_homepath. Homepath is where downloaded files and configs are stored. Furthermore, the engine will first load files from a game subfolder in both directories, which defaults to "smokinguns" here. If you specify a mod via fs_game, additional files will be loaded from that subfolder from both directorys. Furthermore, mods can base on other mods, by using fs_basegame.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby LinuxDanP » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:10 am

How do I tell what the values of those variables are? I just tried running it, and the only related thing I see is the FS_Startup section with a printout of the directories/files in the search path.

And yes, all of the pk3 files except for pak0.pk3 (which is in the baseq3 directory) are in the smokinguns directory. The executables are in the SmokinGuns top level directory.
LinuxDanP
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Just type the cvar's name into the game console and press enter, it'll tell you the current and default (and maybe latched) value. The console has completion via tab, if you're lazy.

Now I'm out of ideas. You've got all the right files in the right place with the right permissions and an up-to-date engine, nothing should go wrong :roll:

I've digged through a whole bunch of possibly related posts regarding that problem. Most of them were about Vista/7 and permission problems or compatibility mode. Some covered missing libraries for the shared libraries of the game, but SG uses qvms. So Google didn't really help or give any new clues. Someone mentioned not enough memory could be the problem, but I doubt that. Same goes for graphic card driver.

If you're still willing to, we could try using strace or the like to see if the engine even touches the neccessary pk3. Or you could try compiling the engine for your machine, but I don't really see how that'd help.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby LinuxDanP » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:45 am

Sorry to be such a newbie... how do I get to the game console?

Thanks a lot for all of your help on this... at this point I'm inclined to give up, since I'm hoping to update to Fedora 13 within a couple of weeks, depending on how soon I can get a couple of bad hard drives replaced. Hopefully SG setup will go much smoother on Fedora 13. :)
LinuxDanP
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:25 pm

The dedicated server is basically the game's console.
If you manage to run the "full" engine, you can toggle the console via the hardcoded keystroke shift+esc.

Does your planned update mean you'll come back to the problem when fc13 is running?
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby LinuxDanP » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Ok, I'll play around with the server and see what I can find...

Yeah, as soon as I install Fedora 13 I'm going to try again with SG. It just looks like too good a game to pass up... :)
LinuxDanP
Drifter

Postby LinuxDanP » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:19 am

Well, now on Fedora 13 x86_64, same ol' story. I downloaded the Beta version and the v1.0 data files, and it behaves identically. I'm able to run Urban Terror, which is another ioquake3 based game.
LinuxDanP
Drifter

Previous

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel