With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Reinstall

Postby Mart Duggan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:22 pm

I bought a new computer with windows 7. A couple of issues.

When i extract the 1.1b4 files, where do I put them? Please don't tell me the installation folder, there is nothing titled "installation folder". There are 11 addresses inside the smokin guns file in program files, but I don't know which one to put it in, or do I just put it in the SG folder alongside the others.

In version1.0 when I run the game it doesn't fill the screen, there are bars on each side. Is this fixed when I install 1.1b4?

Thanks!
The Hoss - Rawhide part owner
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Re: Reinstall

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 pm

Mart Duggan wrote:When i extract the 1.1b4 files, where do I put them? Please don't tell me the installation folder, there is nothing titled "installation folder". There are 11 addresses inside the smokin guns file in program files, but I don't know which one to put it in, or do I just put it in the SG folder alongside the others.
Hoss, whatever you want to call it, you first have to locate your installation directory. It might be c:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns. If it isn't, I'd search for directories containing smokinguns*.exe or I'd right-click on your SG icon to check the properties to see, to which directory and file the link is actually pointing to.

Assume your installation directory is c:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns and contains files such as the following:
./baseq3
./baseq3/pak0.pk3
./SDL.dll
./sg_48.png
./smokinguns
./smokinguns/alamo1.pk3
./smokinguns/default.cfg
./smokinguns/demos
./smokinguns/joekarimat1.pk3
./smokinguns/q3config.cfg
./smokinguns/qconsole.log
./smokinguns/server.cfg
./smokinguns/sg_maps0.pk3
./smokinguns/sg_pak0.pk3
./smokinguns/sg_sounds.pk3
./smokinguns/sg_textures0.pk3
./smokinguns.exe
./smokinguns_dedicated.x86
You would have to merge the files and directory structure inside the SG1.1b4 zip file with your SG installation directory such that the smokinguns_dedicated.mingw32-crosscompiled.exe, which is contained in the zip file, is extracted to c:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\ while the smokinguns\sg_sounds1.pak file is extracted to c:\Program Files\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\sg_sounds1.pak[/i], for example.

Mart Duggan wrote:In version1.0 when I run the game it doesn't fill the screen, there are bars on each side. Is this fixed when I install 1.1b4?
It probably has something to do with viewsize. Please set seta cg_viewsize "100" in console or max out the slider at Settings -> System -> Other -> Screen Size.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Mart Duggan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:35 pm

Haven't figured it out yet. After I download the file, I use the 7Zip utility. But when I try to extract the file into the SG folder I get error messages, "cannot open output file C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Smokin'Guns\smokinguns_dedicated.exe" and 28 more like that. I don't know what I am doing wrong. I never used this 7zip before, and I can't remember what program I had on my other computer to unzip files, the 7zip does not give you the option to browse your computer to find a file, but I don't think I am typing it in wrong.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby Pardner » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:08 pm

windows has a its own zip tool, another good one is WinZip or WinRar. In stead of "extracting" the file. Try opening both folders (zip and Smokin' Guns) and copy/pasting the files from the zip to the Smokin' GUns
Pardner
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:39 am

Mart Duggan wrote:When I try to extract the file into the SG folder I get error messages, "cannot open output file C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Smokin'Guns\smokinguns_dedicated.exe" and 28 more like that.
This reads like you were missing access rights to the SG directory. You could try to use your administrator account to copy the files. I suggest to install or move SG to a different directory outside c:\Program Files\ anyway, since Windows 7 has this some built-in protection system regarding directories inside c:\Program Files\, which conflicts with the way SG works. I suggest to use c:\Games\Smokin' Guns\.

Mart Duggan wrote:The 7zip does not give you the option to browse your computer to find a file, but I don't think I am typing it in wrong.
This sound like you had to manually type in the path into 7Zip? There must be an option to graphically pick a path.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Mart Duggan » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I have winzip installed and figured out how to use it, however I am still stalled by the requirement of admin privelege, which my computer already is set for admin. Don't understand that. Also the smokinguns file is not in the games folder. It is in the programfilesx86 folder.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Mart Duggan wrote:I am still stalled by the requirement of admin privelege, which my computer already is set for admin. Don't understand that. Also the smokinguns file is not in the games folder. It is in the programfilesx86 folder.

SG needs to create a file which it has to read later on. Windows 7 protects folders inside C:\Programs... from modifications by users other than administrators. You either have to install/move SG outside C:\Programs... or you have to run SG with admin privileges, at least IF you want to connect to BB or Jeux.

If you think this is a difficult procedure, feel free to write an exact guide how you solved the problem. I'll happily link to your guide on the BB homepage. I don't have Windows 7 otherwise I'd have done it already myself.
Last edited by TheDoctor on Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Mart Duggan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

Well I am just about ready to throw up my hands. I removed the program, reinstalled again, now I can't get it to run. The page comes up but there is no cursor. I don't know if it is Windows 7 causing the problem or maybe I am just too computer ignorant, either way I am not going to fight it much longer. I am sorry it is coming to this, but I am tired of spending so much time just trying to put the game on my computer. If the problem is with Windows 7, I have to assume others trying to install would be having problems too, which is not good for the future of SG.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby Mart Duggan » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:07 pm

no message
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby Plates » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:02 pm

Windows 7 Protects your Program files folder, making things like updates from a Zip annoying to impossible.

Try running it in your user folder (where documents and picture folder are), like C:\Users\ *Your username* \Smokin' Guns\

Extract the 1.0 then the patch and everything should be alright from there. The files you were extracting weren't going to program files folder they were saved into your "Virtual Store" (C:\Users\Your User name\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore" ((It's a hidden folder, you have to turn on hidden folders in control pannel's Folder options)) ).
Plates
Pistolero

Postby Pardner » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:32 am

Sorry Hoss, I meant to get this done last week, but you know how things go. I've uploaded a tutorial video to Moddb, and I embedded it in Tequila's post in the 1.1b4 section:
viewtopic.php?p=15139#15139

I hope this helps!
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Mart Duggan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:54 pm

the tutorial is very nice, but when I try to put the files in the smokinguns folder it tells me I don't have admin rights. And I tried putting it in games folder, that didn't work either. I am just not computer savvy enough.
Mart Duggan
Gunslinger

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:21 am

Try searching google for your Windows 7 problems? I found several articles that could help you. Here's one for example:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/
I'm seeing that you could disable UAC, if you wanted to, that should take care of all of this misery. Search google! :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel