With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Intermittent lag? Can't move for a few seconds

Postby pohjasakka » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Howdy, I've been playing SG for a few days and today I started having an issue where my character freezes and cant move or look around, the game doesn't freeze as I can still see the walking motion/animation in the gun, and hear the reload sounds, then after a few seconds I am unfrozen in the spot where my keyboard and mouse movements(during the freeze) would have taken me. When this is happening I check the scoreboard to see if my ping is spiking, and I get a blank SB(no names) with a red box in the bottom right hand corner.

I have a modern laptop that does have int. graphics but I play numerous older sim racing games just fine and like I said have been running SG for the past few days with no problems. My internet speeds are good as well at about 35 up and 10 down. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them, I was having way to much fun to stop now!
pohjasakka
Newcomer

Re: Intermittent lag? Can't move for a few seconds

Postby Biondo » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Welcome pohjasakka, I'm glad you are loving this wonderful game. For what I can say (but I'm not the most qualified man to speak here) it seems a client problem. Do you take a look at the lagometer (see: http://www.svws-clan.de/svws-dateien/lagtypes.jpg) from time to time, so you can say if it's a client related problem?
Did you download the official SG packet?
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby torhu » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:48 pm

Do you share your internet connection with someone? If my connection goes down the drain it's usually a filesharer on my connection that does it. Which is a social problem more than a technical problem, unfortunately.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby Barto » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:45 am

Welcome to the forum pohjasakka!

I have seen that kind of issues with some wifi connections where the computer was scanning for some new hotspot every minute or so which caused me to have some sudden drop of all my connection. I don't know if it would apply to you but I have written a small article (god, nearly 2 years ago!) there: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2625

My internet speeds are good as well at about 35 up and 10 down.

Mhh, I'm lost there. Could you provide us the unit used for it? (If this is kbyte/s, I don't know if SG would handle that bandwidth)

I can also imagine to be some laptop's energy saver that wants to shut down the Internet chip, but I am really hesitating about this theory. (on my linux machine, laptop-mode-tools loves to turn off my usb ports when I don't use them for few seconds; and it's not really fun when I do use my usb mouse, I had to blacklist this device to avoid this problem)

Even more odd, be sure to not have some interferences in the wifi signal, microwaves has the reputation to cause that kind of problem.

Maybe trying to reset your q3config.cfg in your %appdata% might also do the trick if there are some bad configuration of the game.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby jippi-ja-yeah » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:30 pm

Can you tell us the maps where you freezed and the position?
In game: JippieJaYeah aka TheFlyingChicken
http://www.lameclan.org
jippi-ja-yeah
Drifter

Postby MsH » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:23 pm

I've had this issue once and I guess it was something internet connection lags..
I don't have problems anymore though.

(btw you're finn? :P)
MsH
Gunslinger

Postby Bart202 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:08 am

Hey, sometimes i experience the same: try to give this in console:
/cl_maxpackets 30
/cl_timenudge off

Tell me if something happens.

and

WELCOME :)
Facebook-Group of Smokin' Players

My hand toolz are colt peacemakers !°
Bart202
Gunslinger

Postby /dev/random » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:25 pm

pohjasakka wrote:Howdy, I've been playing SG for a few days and today I started having an issue where my character freezes and cant move or look around, the game doesn't freeze as I can still see the walking motion/animation in the gun, and hear the reload sounds, then after a few seconds I am unfrozen in the spot where my keyboard and mouse movements(during the freeze) would have taken me. When this is happening I check the scoreboard to see if my ping is spiking, and I get a blank SB(no names) with a red box in the bottom right hand corner.

There are several possible causes for this.
If the animations in game freeze as well or just slowdown, your computer might be overloaded. You can somewhat observe whether this happens by enabling the FPS meter.

If the game appears to continue, try to observe whether it's only you being frozen in place or whether it seems to be everyone. When it's only you, it's likely you have a problem with outgoing packets.
If everyone's frozen, you'll have to take a look at the lagometer to figure out whether it's a problem at the server or a problem with your connection. WLAN and even most consumer-grade routers can exhibit such behaviour (even more so when used by several people at once). In such a case, you might try playing around with QoS (giving Smokin' Guns or even your PC higher priority on the router), switching to a wired connection or even getting new network equipment (or switching ISPs) alltogether.

I'm sure there's other possible causes, but those are the most prevalent ones that come to my mind.
Lag like this can also be caused by any combination of the issues above. Try obtaining as much debugging information as possible in such situations, e.g. how many players were on the server, how many of them around you, which place of the map were you in, was the ping high all the time, does some action (e.g. shooting) seem to cause the lag or does it appear to happen randomly etc. etc.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:59 pm

A lot of specific suggestions have already been given. Personally, I would like you first to decide, whether your network connection really is the problem or not. Any advice depends on this decision.

To this end, open a command prompt (I assume you run Windows) and type:
Code: Select all
ping -t 88.198.231.11

88.198.231.11 is the IP address of a SG server. Watch the response times for 60 seconds. Ideally, you would have a near constant response time. If you press Ctrl+C, the ping command will abort, providing you with a summary of the values it measured up to this point (minimum time, maximum time and average). This way, you can measure longer periods of time without checking each value.

As a next step, you could then start Smokin' Guns while letting ping run in the background. If you experience a freeze, quit SG and take a look a the values. Did the freeze correlate with unusual high response times or even time outs? Press Ctrl+C to check a possible deviation of average and maximum response time.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:45 pm

It's nice (really like it) to see how many friends and well known experts are ready to help here. But it's somewhat surreal to observe that pohjasakka (who posted this one single post by far), seems to have been vanished since that time. It looks like there are more doctors (no pun intended) than patients. A small community, but a good one.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby torhu » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:44 am

He did visit the forum after most of the replies were made, though. It's in his profile.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby TheDoctor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:28 pm

Biondo wrote:But it's somewhat surreal that there are more doctors (no pun intended) than patients.
Well, if the original poster doesn't respond anymore, it may be because he somehow fixed the problem.

Anyway, I feel every poster did add something to the state of this topic. Ideally, this may help a number of players, who have the same problem, but won't take their time to register and post a question.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:38 pm

This is a good point, TheDoctor. Nevertheless the situation looked unreal, and my comment was intended also as a stimulus to get a reaction (a 'Thanks' would have been asking for too much?) from pohjasakka.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel