With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Windows 8+ SG1.1 does not work

Postby a.k47 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Hey folks,

a friend of mine wants to install the new version of the game on his windows 8 machine, but he got trouble playing or even starting the game. He basicly has a lag all the time...his ping is over 500 on each server and: he has the very best internet= 32.000 kb.

Any ideas how he can change this situation?

regards
a.k47

(yeha, I'm back in game
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Re: Windows 8+ SG1.1 does not work

Postby JippiJaYeah » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:52 am

Maybe Windows Defender is on or Windows Update is downloading in the background.
See Taskmanager if other program use the Network.

I'm playing on windows 8.1 without any trouble anymore.
In game: JippieJaYeah aka TheFlyingChicken
http://www.lameclan.org
JippiJaYeah
Drifter

Postby Barto » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:16 pm

Linux user talking here :mrgreen:

On the hardware side, maybe your buddy should check for the latest GPU and network chip driver. It's also never too bad to have them up to date.

On the Internet side: be sure he doens't use the network for some other tasks (updates, downloads, ...). I've also heard about some recurrent issues with some Internet-cable users; it's often because another users is using all the bandwidth on the wire you share with him. Sadly, there are no other way than to change to a phone line connection which means a new ISP in most cases.

I also remember when my wifi had some perturbations with some other wireless system (cold war like). I had to change channel to get it right. But it was with all kind of communication (ICMP, HTTP, etc.). It was fun to see all those packet drops and retransmissions :lol:

Lastly, check if he has this problem only with SG or any other network game (which then uses UDP). If the problem is there, check the option of your modem or router to be more friendly with UDP traffic. If nothing works (and you're sure it's network related) maybe getting a phone call with your ISP might solve the issue.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby a.k47 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks for your fast replies...

well, he checked everything you wrote on your list, but nothing has changed at all.

regards
a.k47
in game: -=LWa.k47=-
admin on:
-Jeuxlinux
-smokin'guns.org BR
-smokin'guns.org Mixed
a.k47
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:15 pm

a.k47 wrote:well, he checked everything you wrote on your list, but nothing has changed at all.

Did you try to start with a new profile, deleting all Smokin'Guns -related q3config.cfg files in %appdata%?

If everything fails, try downloading and testing other ioquake3- based games, e.g. OpenAarena. Do you encounter the same problems?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel