With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

[Tutorial] adding Smokin' Guns in Steam on Linux

Postby Barto » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:02 pm

Introduction
In this small tutorial, I'll explain how to add a shortcut to Smokin' Guns into Steam as a non-steam game entry. I'll use in this case a machine running a x86_64 system.

Content
  • Why
  • Creating a Desktop file
  • Adding it to Steam

Why
There are many reason for you that you may want to add it in your non-steam games:
  • You want to add all your games in steam to have a nice representation of what you have in your machine
  • You want to show your friends that you are playing SG, is there actually a better way to do so?
  • You want to use the steam overlay while playing.

Creating a Desktop file
  1. Open any text editor and paste the content given below:
    Code: Select all
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Name=Smokin' Guns
    Exec=/home/yourname/folder/of/smokinguns.x86_64
    Icon=/home/yourname/folder/of/sg_48.png

You may edit the Exec and Icon line to point to the smokinguns.x86_64 executable (or .i386 if you are using a 32bit system) and sg_48.png icon file
  2. Then save what you did as smokinguns.desktop into the root folder of the game (in the example, it was /home/yourname/folder/of/)

Adding it to Steam
  1. Click on "+ ADD A GAME..." on the botton of the window on the Library section of Steam
  2. Select "Add a Non-Steam Game..."
  3. Click on "BROWSE..."
  4. Go where you saved your smokinguns.desktop file, select it and click "OPEN"
  5. Then click on "ADD SELECTED PROGRAMS"
Now you are done! I think this tutorial isn't useful for many people but I made it because it required a .desktop file be able to add the game.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel