With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Re: Low framerate

Postby janko » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:34 pm

ok well I'll have to try play the game with the occasional lag
it sometimes feels as if it fast-forwarded me
thanks much for help anyway
janko
Shootist

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Did you try to replay the demo yourself to reproduce the problem? If you experience no problems, the root cause is probably outside SG (for example, something eating all CPU time every now or then).

An alternative explanation is, you confuse FPS \cg_drawFPS 1 and network lag (Tab/Highsore, Ping). In this case, the network connenction is interrupted every now an then (WLAN) or it is used to full capacity at some points.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:51 pm

I don't confuse FPS and Ping, but I just said that when my FPS is low it shows high ping which is weird I know they're different and I don't know a fix for it I think version 1.0 worked better on all maps
maybe next release will fix it I hope so (atleast for me)
janko
Shootist

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:19 pm

Did you try to replay the demo yourself to reproduce the problem?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:50 pm

I started the game and used the command and yes, I can see the little stutter there at random times watching the replay
janko
Shootist

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:53 pm

janko wrote:I started the game and used the command and yes, I can see the little stutter there at random times watching the replay

OK, I see it is a graphics-related bug. What video Card do you have? Did you install a a driver from the chip manufacturer (Nvidia, AMD, Intel)? Did you try to install a different video driver (one that was delivered with your card vs. the latest available at their homepage)?
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I have a NVidia GeForce GT 240, download drivers via GeForce Experience everytime a new one pops up that is for my graphics card
janko
Shootist

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm

janko wrote:I have a NVidia GeForce GT 240, download drivers via GeForce Experience everytime a new one pops up that is for my graphics card

Could you, for a test, downgrade to the original driver that was delivered along with your card? Remember, you are still using Windows XP and Nvidia may not do many test on that platform any longer.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:05 pm

and how can I do that, I've never downloaded drivers from microsoft page
janko
Shootist

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:10 pm

janko wrote:and how can I do that, I've never downloaded drivers from microsoft page
Did you get a CD with your video card? If your card was built-in when you bought your computer, the driver might be on manufacturer's CD together with other drivers or may be - in fact - in a directory somewhere on drive C:.

You may change a driver by opening the device manager, checking the properties of the graphics card and select "update driver software". Be sure to pick the correct driver. If you are unsure, leave your system as it is.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:01 am

updating it via Device Manager made the lag slightly but to me noticeably worse, so I've used the GeForce Experience to update to the newest one. :( dam* it
janko
Shootist

Postby janko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:03 am

but what is weird that I can run games like Far Cry 3 on medium settings without a little stutter..
janko
Shootist

Postby janko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:35 am

I also get occasional music freeze where the music keeps repeating this also happens when I quit the game during the credits the music gets stuck
maybe it's related
janko
Shootist

Postby /dev/random » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:53 pm

janko wrote:but what is weird that I can run games like Far Cry 3 on medium settings without a little stutter..

FarCry uses DirectX, whereas Smokin' Guns uses OpenGL for video. Unfortunately most Windows drivers implement OpenGL poorly, so that might be an issue here.

You could try running Smokin' Guns in windowed/non-fullscreen mode and keep an eye on the graphs of e.g. Process Explorer to see whether the CPU, GPU, RAM, disk or anything else is maxed out.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:35 pm

better, albeit very slightly :(
won't fix it anyhow..
janko
Shootist

PreviousNext

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar