With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

bogs down

Postby ChainLightnin' » Sun May 24, 2015 6:09 am

Howdy guys, I tried to play again yesterday and today, (having not played for quite some time). Loaded up and ran like always for a couple minutes, and then just went into slow jerk mode and is unplayable. Never used to do that. Did something change or is there a new version since 1.1 ? This computer plays LOTRO and SWTOR just fine.
Thanks,
ChainLightnin'
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Re: bogs down

Postby TheDoctor » Mon May 25, 2015 8:50 pm

ChainLightnin' wrote:Howdy guys, I tried to play again yesterday and today, (having not played for quite some time). Loaded up and ran like always for a couple minutes, and then just went into slow jerk mode and is unplayable. Never used to do that. Did something change or is there a new version since 1.1 ? This computer plays LOTRO and SWTOR just fine.
Thanks,
ChainLightnin'

1.1 is the current version. From what you are telling, it sounds your computer runs into a thermic problem. It is able to deliver full performance, while it is still cool, but becomes overheated after some time. Then either a CPU or graphics card clock rate reduction kicks in to prevent overheating. To confirm this, try to check the temperature of these components before and after playing SG.

(Only) if you know what you're doing, you could try to
  • preserve your computers ressources by limiting the framerate of SG by opening the in-game console and typing \seta cg_drawfps 1 and \seta com_maxfps 62
  • increase fan rotation speed before playing the game
  • increase the temperature limit of your system (the threshold temperature, your system considers problematic)

I guess, the real cause of your problem could be a (missing) 3D graphics driver. Even if you have an on-board graphics card, try to download and install a grpahics driver. It may improve your system's performance and thusly decrease the workload and the temperature of you system.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Barto » Wed May 27, 2015 8:46 pm

I was not having any clue at first but TheDoctor's idea looks definitely possible. Also checking if your hardware is not under too much dust is a plus. (an airblast from time to time is never too much, just be careful with moving parts when doing this)

Let me bump on this idea of a driver problem and ask if this is a memory leak in the VRAM of your GPU driver when using OpenGL (and surprisingly not happening with DirectX). I remember a buddy of me complaining that his 3D code was leaking megabytes of gpu memory per seconds when he would run this on his dedicated AMD card instead of his Intel. I guess that if you have another gpu chip different from an AMD's one, my discussion does not really make sense (I never had troubles with other brands - without naming any of them).
A simple solution to it is to check that you have the right driver version and that it correctly installed.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Thu May 28, 2015 8:49 am

Barto wrote:Let me ask if this is a memory leak in the VRAM of your GPU driver when using OpenGL (and surprisingly not happening with DirectX)

If immediately restarting the game fixes the problem, this could be a indication to an non-thermic problem. On the other hand, if, after an immediate restart, the game is still crawling, then a thermic is very likely.

Best regards,

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby torhu » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:20 pm

If Direct3D games work fine, are you sure your graphics driver has got actual OpenGL support? The drivers that come with Windows famously don't. Sorry if this is old news to you :twisted:
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel