With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
If you have any trouble with SG, this is the place to ask.

Moderator: Pardner

Settings

Postby janko » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:26 pm

hey guys
how can I keep my graphics settings stay the same?
they change to high quality everytime I reload the game
please remove this thread a few days after it's answered cuz I feel like a spammer in these forums lol
thanks in advance
janko
Shootist

Re: Settings

Postby Barto » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Hello!

janko wrote:hey change to high quality everytime I reload the game

Make sure that you have the rights to write in q3config.cfg when running the game and make sure it actually have written in it. This file is usually located in C:\Users\yourname\Application Data\Smokin' Guns\smokinguns\ on Windows if my memory is right. I have experienced some troubles when typing "quit" in the console which would later not write the changes to the config file. In comparison, using the UI is fine.
Also, nothing blocks you from writing yourself the values in the config file, make sure you have a backup of it before doing this though :-)

janko wrote:please remove this thread a few days after it's answered cuz I feel like a spammer in these forums

No, you're not. People may have the same problem later and they may find an answer in this post.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:58 pm

janko wrote:How can I keep my graphics settings stay the same?

Please check, whether this problem affect only video settings or any user settings in general. If no configuration changes are saved, I would guess, you run some version of Windows and did install the game under "C:\Programs\Smokin Guns" (or whatever the folder is called in your language). In this case, the solution is to move the folder to "C:\Games\Smokin Guns".

If this fixed your problem, please provide short feedback.

I'll agree with Barto, that the thread should stay. You don't have to feel guilty for using the forum. It's meant to be the place for this kind of questions.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:47 pm

thanks for all your tips
I tried moving the game folder from Program Files to Games but it didn't work
I did write in the config folder (increased HunkMegs and zonemegs) and it did save
it's like the system settings aren't in the config or something, since it does save settings from every tabs except System
janko
Shootist

Postby janko » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 pm

I also tried using /writeconfig q3config, again it saved everything except the System Tab, does it really work for all of you? 8O
janko
Shootist

Postby TheDoctor » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:32 pm

janko wrote:I also tried using /writeconfig q3config, again it saved everything except the System Tab, does it really work for all of you? 8O

Well, I use Linux, so of course it works :lol:

More seriously: do you run SG by double clicking the executable or do you use a shortcut? If you use a shortcut, check the parameter: it shouldn't start SG in safe mode.

If the above doesn't apply, I think SG encouters some kind of problem while initializing and automatically chooses the safe-mode. In this case, you could post whatever messages SG prints in its log.

You also could look into the the following work-around: autoexec.cfg. This is a file, possibly not yet existant, in your user SG directory, which contains parts (or all) of q3config.cfg. Any settings/lines in autoexec.cfg will be executed at the start. For example, it could contain
Code: Select all
r_mode -1
seta r_customwidth 1280 // insert your monitor's horizontal resolution
seta r_customheight 1024 // insert your monitor's vertical resolution
seta r_fullscreen "0" // 0 = windowed mode, 1 = full screen

and any other settings that you need to set manually. Check out any setting beginning with r_ (as in renderer). I could be /writeconfig q3config (maybe better use /writeconfig q3config.cfg) does save your video settings, but are ignored at the start. In this case, you can look at q3config.cfg. It's basically a plain text file you can open with notepad or any other text editor.

Good luck and keep us posted.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks for your help doc 8)
this problem of mine is so lengthy and confusing..
I checked and it doesn't seem to start in safe mode
then I fired up the game
saw the settings high quality, I changed high quality to normal and I kept all the normal settings except resolution (increased from 640x480 to 800x600, therefore it changed to Custom)
so fine I clicked ''Apply''
I wrote a few configs (lol) them being autoexec.cfg and q3config.cfg
I quitted the game, then started it up, I went to check the settings, there was High Quality but the settings all had Normal values (the only difference between Normal and High Quality were, well, the names Normal and High Quality)
this is so confusing I doubt you'll understand the gibberish I just wrote
mind setting up a play-date so I can ''try'' to explain more clearly?
anytime in the future
thanks a lot Doc
janko
Shootist

Postby {B} » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 pm

Make a backup of your q3config.cfg, and next edit it replacing every occurrence of "seta" with "set". Not sure if it will work, but give it a try. As far as I know seta is sculpted in stone, while set can be overwritten.
{B}

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:57 pm

{B} wrote:As far as I know seta is sculpted in stone, while set can be overwritten.

Any assignments using set will not be remembered after exiting SG. Only if you use seta, a variable will be flagged as archive and on exit, the most recent value should be written as an assignment in the q3config.cfg file.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby /dev/random » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:26 pm

janko wrote:I went to check the settings, there was High Quality but the settings all had Normal values (the only difference between Normal and High Quality were, well, the names Normal and High Quality)

I don't know how the detection of quality works, it might not consider all possible knobs and values.
Do I understand you correctly that the individual settings you changed were persisted, but the "generic quality setting"-name changed, even though it shouldn't?
If that's the case, it's just a bug with that part of the UI, not the configuration loading/saving itself.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby janko » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:12 pm

/dev/random wrote:Do I understand you correctly that the individual settings you changed were persisted, but the "generic quality setting"-name changed, even though it shouldn't?

yes you do, thanks for clearing that up
janko
Shootist

Return to Doc's Office

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel