With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Can we educate our bots please??

Moderator: Aerasol

Postby Tequila » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi & welcome RailedRobin,

I'm just adding new names as I just want to get rid of some limitations involved by the little number of bot names. I'm also trying to fix few bugs in the code. But I don't trying to tune each bot character... So you're free to tune the bots ;)
8)
Tequila
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Tequila wrote:I'm just adding new names as I just want to get rid of some limitations involved by the little number of bot names.

Humm.. Why don't just fix the code where the exact limitation is present? What if you'll need a hundred bots to be online?
I mean isn't it would be a proper fix to allow the same names for bots?
And adding new bot names is completely separate thing (it is extending, not fixing).. Don't you think so?
You don't need an emergency fix (in your case workaround) as far as I know.. I didn't see any server even with 8 bots online..
May be new bot names will be required when RailedRobin will get sime success with bots tuning (good luck with it, Robin ;)).. But now it is very strange thing to do.
That is just how I see it :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby Tequila » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:16 am

Why don't fix ? Because that's not really a bug but a feature... Okay I said that's a bug in my first post in that thread, but I was wrong and I apolozige for the confusion.

By the way, I always can add any bot I want with the addbot command. I can also change the bot name with the addbot command.

I agree the problem is not critical, but if we can just extend the game by extending a name list, that's always easier than fix the code. And in the same time I was showing people where we can easily enhance the game with simple contributions, without coding skills ;)

And again, I thank people who gave their name list, and I thank in advance RailedRobin for his work on AI tuning.
Tequila
SG Team

Postby torhu » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:03 am

I would have to agree with Lucky Bro. :) I like how each skin has it own name. To me it would look better to have several Clints on the same team, than to have Clints with different names. The limited number of bot names also means that it's easy to know who's a bot and who's not. Even Clint 2 and Clint 3 would be ok if that's easier than fixing the code, at least then you know it's just the Clint bot.
In game: =SG=monSter
Monster Browser
torhu
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:20 am

torhu wrote:The limited number of bot names also means that it's easy to know who's a bot and who's not.

I'm not taking sides on this debate, but ping is a good indicator of who's a bot or not on a dedicated server. Just thought I'd add that. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Lucky Bro » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Oh, I don't mean to debate :)
But since I have started it, let me close this debate as quick as possible :)
The limitation of maximum start bot number could be fixed right when someone of us will have free time and wish to do so.
And current job with bunch of new names could be used right at the moment when we'll need it. It seems that Robin get some success on his work, so nothing is wasted.
And Tequila even may just replace some current bot names with new ones (with Robin's patch applied). As a small present to upcoming 1.1 version (with ReD's permission, of course ;)).
I hope debate is over :)
"You should know that the lies won't hide your flaws/No sense in hiding all of yours/You gave up on your dreams along the way" (c) "Fake it" by Seether
P.S. English isn't my native language.
Lucky Bro
Gunslinger

Postby RailedRobin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:54 pm

I've actually had Tequilas work with names in mind when tuning the current bots, which should make it rather easy to add new bots and still get variety in their behaviour.

Don't know if you want me to explain more in detail what I'm doing and how the bots and botnames work, and not sure if this is the right topic for it, so I'll leave it be for the moment. But simple put, the current version of SG uses one set of files for all the bots, it's just the names that change. I've just added more sets to be used, without limiting them to one bot or another (apart from male and female versions).
So when Tequila is done with all the names, all he, me or anyone actually, has to do, is just change some text in a .txt file and use the .pk3 I'm putting together (If it's approved of course :wink: )

The only "problem" right now is the limitation of skins available, which can lead to what you've been discussing about different bots with the same skin. But I guess that is something we can discuss in the texture-forum :wink:
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Postby MegaByte » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Correct me if i am wrong and it does exist I do not know where to look yet but it would be good to have a text file that we can define names in that get randomly picked per model. Like say we add a bot with the male model 1 it selects a random name and prehaps personality as sugested above for that model :).
MegaByte
Drifter

Postby RailedRobin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm

MegaByte wrote:Correct me if i am wrong and it does exist I do not know where to look yet but it would be good to have a text file that we can define names in that get randomly picked per model. Like say we add a bot with the male model 1 it selects a random name and prehaps personality as sugested above for that model :).

As of now, every bot has it's pre-designated name, witch you can change, but it won't be random the way I belive you mean. If you look in sg_pak0.pk3 in your Smokin' Guns/smokinguns-folder, you will find a folder named scripts, in which you'll find the document bots.txt. There you will se the name of all the bots, which models they use, and which botfile they're affiliated with (which is one and the same for all the bots at the moment).

I don't know how you would make a random name-generator. Wouldn't it have to save the names into the bot.txt file inside a pk3 before launching the game?
But if you just want to create more bots it's rather easy, at least if you don't mind if several of them are using the same skins :wink:
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

Previous

Return to Artificial Intelligence

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel