With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Got skills? Make music & sounds y'all!

Moderator: DeUgli

what if...

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:42 pm

this was just a crazy thought, but what if SG had a cool western theme song? Could some one pull that off? all the old western movies had that really cool song in the opening credits. and I just thought it would be awesome to have that in SG. :D
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Re: what if...

Postby DeUgli » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:16 am

-]DES[- Player_3 wrote:this was just a crazy thought, but what if SG had a cool western theme song?

There is already the great tune by krokofox that is the background music. What if you (or someone) wrote lyrics to it and recorded that with a guitar?
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Kouma » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:00 am

SG don't has the famous western themes on it to avoid legal problems. That was already discussed in another topic.
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:54 am

I could probably write something if you guys would like. I've got some semi-descent recording equipment and I'm a singer-songwriter myself. Think I should do it? Should it be corny in a cheesy western way?
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:33 am

Spaghetti western tunes that have whistling in them were always my favorites. (Not the slow, lonely kind though.)
Corny could work I guess, but mainly I'd wish for something upbeat that reminds one of Morricone.
My favorite!
Close 2nd!

All depends on the range of your skills though. Maybe you could give us a small sample?
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:47 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Spaghetti western tunes that have whistling in them were always my favorites. (Not the slow, lonely kind though.)
Corny could work I guess, but mainly I'd wish for something upbeat that reminds one of Morricone.
My favorite!
Close 2nd!

All depends on the range of your skills though. Maybe you could give us a small sample?

I'm a skilled whistler. I also have Jew's Harp (the twangy thing in the first one). Unfortunately, I don't know how to use it.

I'm a guitar guy, and I mainly use chords. I can also play piano decently. The songs you linked to were what I was thinking in terms of beat and style-- in fact, I was whistling the Fistful of Dollars theme in my head without realizing it! :D I would send you some sample songs, but the fact of the matter is I have never done something like this before (I tend to keep to the serious side of things). I think there's a link in my sig to my music. I can throw on a nice Southern accent though (I'm from North Cackilacky). Anyways, I'll play around with it and see if it's feasible.

So, from the Smokin' Guns team, I'd like to hear what you think. Singing or no singing (I'd kind of prefer not to, as singing is subjective and lyrics are at best corny)? Typical fare or some interesting musical twists? Whistling, of course. Anything else?

Aw, man... listening to some of this stuff... I'm a really big fan of The Ecstasy of Gold, but I doubt I could pull of something that epic or "big" sounding if you know what I mean. Morricone surely is a genius.
DeviantArt|Music
Jesus wrote:Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of God
Redwing
Shootist

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:51 am

yes I like Disney, :D but I always liked this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ijNWipYIU
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:41 am

No singing please. :lol:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:57 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:No singing please. :lol:

ok ok. :wink:
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby Pardner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 am

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:My favorite!
Close 2nd!

I had a rough night (might be able to tell from the time stamp of 3AM), but thos link have made my night! Hehe those are definitely my two favorite was well :D

SG kinda as a theme. Its not quite as up beat, but the main screen song will always trigger plenty of good memories. There are some really good sound tracks in SG, but its sad that our gameplay makes to that most players turn off the music. :(

Pardner
SG Team

Postby DeUgli » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Redwing wrote: I also have Jew's Harp (the twangy thing in the first one). Unfortunately, I don't know how to use it.
Holding the harp sideways, you put the straight part between your lips and hit the twanger with your hand. Your mouth functions as a resonator, and as you change the shape of your mouth, the sound changes. Best done into a close microphone.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby DeUgli » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:10 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:No singing please.
Morricone used vocalizations, not words, so that would fit with the spaghetti western subgenre. Like the beautiful female vocalise at the end credits of Once Upon A Time in The Old West. And the male chorus Ah Ah Ah Ah Ah and chanting in Good Bad and Ugly. But the cowboy ballad (Johny Ringo) is American western from the '50s. Different subgenre.

However, I don't think anyone should be discouraged from writing, singing and recording any SG related music. It probably just doesn't belong in the game itself.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Kouma » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 pm

If you would like to hear my humild opinion...

My three all-time favorite songs:

Theme from THE GREAT SILENCE http://sub.morricone.cn/store/music/001 ... Grande.wma

Theme from DUCK YOU SUCKER http://sub.morricone.cn/store/music/021 ... Invenz.wma

and, the one that I think would fit the best way in game

SECONDA CACCIA, from THE BIG GUNDOWN http://sub1.morricone.cn/store/fpe-0606 ... a%20Caccia).wma
I am Kouma and this is my shotgun. Togheter, we blow your head clean off.
Kouma
Shootist

Postby Redwing » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I may indeed write a song. I don't want to try to usurp someone else's music though.

And DeUgli- I tried that, it didn't work. My friends tried it too. We can't really understand the thing.
DeviantArt|Music
Redwing
Shootist

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:37 am

I have a jaw harp but always hated the vibration against my teeth. Really fun & simple instrument to learn though. Check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcGHarKr_LM
Lot's of vids like this on youtube.... just search. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Next

Return to Audio

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel