With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Got skills? Make music & sounds y'all!

Moderator: DeUgli

Music: Do we WANT more?

Postby Nixito » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:35 am

So, I like SG. It's pretty neat stuff, and I really wouldn't mind contributing to it in some way. I have no graphical abilities, and my ability to code ends at an ASCII tic-tac-toe game I made. I can, however, at least sort of kind of make music. So before I go about trying to make a whole lot of neat music, I was wondering if we really NEED new music? I figured if we do, with the coming of 1.1 being relatively soon(if I've been following the news right?), now would probably be the right time to make some up so it can just get slipped into the new version. Also, how many people even have the music on? I really like the music, but not only does it occasionally cover up the sound of something important going on, but it also runs kinda buggy on my computer. If nobody even plays with the music on, I certainly don't see a reason to try and make up some music. So in short:

1) Does anybody actually WANT new music?
2) Would anybody actually CARE if there was new music?

Please, feel free to express your interest or your apathy. Both are welcome. :D
(As a side note, I'm really fantastic at starting things and not finishing them, so even if people do want new music, I make no guarantee it will ever come to fruition.)
Nixito
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:17 am

Surely wouldn't hurt to hear a sample? Even a single track (if it's fitting) could be a welcome addition for the music oriented. I typically play with music off, just so I can hear opponents better. I know plenty of people play with it on though. I have to admit, a good track can add something to the feeling you get when sneaking around or reloading behind a corner with the enemy approaching. :wink:
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby Sucalakafufu » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:17 am

i play with the music on occasionally :) usually not as it is harder to hear people.. but sometimes i play with it on cuz it makes it so epic :P
SG Name: Sucalakafufu
Clan: [CWNN] - Clan With No Name
Sucalakafufu
Gunslinger

Postby RailedRobin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:43 am

I play with the music on, sets a nice mood imo. Would be nice to have more tracks and a little more variety. I remember playing Lucas Arts Outlaws, and that the music where quite stunning some times.
Would be nice to have something similar for SG.
A bullet may have your name on it, but dynamite is addressed "to whom it may concern."
RailedRobin
Quick Draw

music, yea or nay

Postby Camcidgos » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 pm

I like the music on when I play Smoking' Guns
Camcidgos
Drifter

Postby Nixito » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:20 am

So, I played SG with the music on for the first time in forever. I have to say... it was pretty epic. Very enjoyable. I'm wondering how well I can make my music fit in with the current music there is, though. For one thing, it sounds like the original composer(s) used synth and samples for all of their instruments(I could be wrong, they sound really good), while I'd be using real instruments. That would probably make anything I compose stick out like a store thumb amongst the rest of the tracks. Also, the current tracks are around half a minute each, with not a single one reaching the minute mark. Most of my tracks would be anywhere from 1 - 3 minutes. To me, it might make the flow of the music a little odd... but that's probably one of those things only I'd think about. :D

So if I think I can make some music that will work WITH the current tracks, you'll see a few tracks out of me. We'll just have to see what happens!
Nixito
Drifter

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Just as a side note, mappers have the ability to assign a specific music track to thier level during the creation process, if they choose to do so. (Otherwise, the map plays the default music.) If your music isn't a great fit with the existing stuff, perhaps someone might want to use it for a single map instead.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby -]DES[- Player_3 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:47 pm

I have never played with the music off and I doubt I ever will. as everyone else has said, the music in Smokin' Guns is just epic, its what sets you're heart rate ingame :D
like in the first "Time Crisis" game the music had a really fast beat to it and the faster it went the faster I pulled the trigger, great music just gets you in the zone :D
with out the music in Smokin' Guns it would just be another FPS.

games are fun but if you find one that has great music to go along with it, then it really stands out and goes from cool to awesome. and if you can't hear the enemy all you need to do is turn it down just a bit, nothing more.

sorry about that, I'm done :D

PS: more music would be great 8)
-]DES[- Player_3
Quick Draw

Postby DeUgli » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 am

Nixito wrote:Also, the current tracks are around half a minute each, with not a single one reaching the minute mark. Most of my tracks would be anywhere from 1 - 3 minutes.
I believe the reason for the short tracks is to keep the file size down. BTW, I find it more difficult to write short tracks. I did a couple of the duel intros (10 seconds each) and that's really hard.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby DeUgli » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:46 am

Nixito, you put me in mind of something I've thought about for a while. Some of the maps (like Breli's and Red's) are so atmospheric that I just enjoy wandering around them with no bots or peeps. I think it would be great to have someone do a long piece of music for a map that was strong on visuals, a place where you could fight if you like, but that would be great for just relaxing.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Nixito » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:57 pm

I see what you mean about filesize... I didn't realize that all of the music is encoded as .wavs. I just assumed they were .mp3s, because when I think music I think mp3s. :D Maybe I will try and make some shorter tracks, for the sake of being something very different than I normally do. Also, if anyone is building a map like you described, I'd totally try and make music for it! Could be neat!

DeUgli, you did the duel intros? I always liked those. :D They're short, but they're very to the point. What software did you use for them?
Nixito
Drifter

Postby /dev/random » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:44 pm

Doesn't ioQuake support OGG? Mp3 has some licensing troubles afaik.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby ChainLightnin' » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:56 pm

That's a great idea, DU!
Well...Mr. Chain Blue Lightnin' hisself..heh, heh!
ChainLightnin'
Gunslinger

Postby DeUgli » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:33 am

Nixito wrote:DeUgli, you did the duel intros? I always liked those. :D They're short, but they're very to the point. What software did you use for them?
I just played them from my synth (an old Korg M1) into Audacity. Sometimes I layered different musical samples together. My intros are the ones that sound like solo guitars, although I think there's one with claves. Glad you like them.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby DeUgli » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:36 am

ChainLightnin' wrote:That's a great idea, DU!
We have the musicians, just need the mappers. Maybe Joe Kari will have time to do a nice waving grass map some day.
Irgendeiner wartet immer.
DeUgli
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Audio

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel