With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Got skills? Make music & sounds y'all!

Moderator: DeUgli

Howdy Folks

Postby elijahlucian » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:39 pm

Take a listen to this here intro.

http://www.elijahlucian.ca/sketches/smokinguns.mp3
(both the slide guitar and voice are mine)

I just wanted to introduce myself and say I would love to get some music, sfx, and voices of mine into your mod.

I have many years of experience and I just want to do it to help out the modding community.

So what say you? Can I lend a hand?

here is my voice acting portfolio: http://www.elijahlucian.ca/voice.php

I also have a nice dame available that can get some female noises in this game ;)
elijahlucian
Newcomer

Re: Howdy Folks

Postby Biondo » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Very nice voice, nice sound and music recordings, elijahlucian! Congratulations.
I'm not a mapper (I'm really nobody here), but your offer is well welcome. Do you think you could release something with a Free license? This is mandatory talking of Smokin' Guns.

In any case, keep on with your talents.

Fun intro, stranger! :-)
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby elijahlucian » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:31 am

Biondo wrote:Very nice voice, nice sound and music recordings, elijahlucian! Congratulations.
I'm not a mapper (I'm really nobody here), but your offer is well welcome. Do you think you could release something with a Free license? This is mandatory talking of Smokin' Guns.

In any case, keep on with your talents.

Fun intro, stranger! :-)

Hi! thanks for the nice words!

Yeah I will release some music with free license.. I just want to see if anybody actaully wanted anything, or what they would want. Anyways, let me know. I will start a list then spend a day making some noise for this game.
elijahlucian
Newcomer

Postby Biondo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:36 am

Wonderful!
I asked because I've seen a copyright in your site. It's nice to hear that you can release some free-licensed music. Now, I stay mute, waiting for more competent people to talk.
Thank you again, stranger.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 am

Elijahlucian, your offer sounds sweet! Did you already download and play Smokin-Guns? If not, do so to get an impression of the game.

The following is meant to give you an overview of what we have and what we might need. Most of our game resources (maps, pictures, sounds, ...) are packaged into a big ZIP file called sg_pak0.pk3. You may open this file with 7zip or any other ZIP program to investigate its content.

Basically we have some tracks of in-game musics for normal play and some more dramatic ones for duels.
sg_pak0.pk3 wrote:music/credit.wav
music/duel_start1.wav
music/duel_start2.wav
music/duel_start3.wav
music/duel_start4.wav
music/duel_start5.wav
music/menu.wav
music/track01.wav
music/track02.wav
music/track03.wav
music/track04.wav
music/track05.wav
music/track06.wav

Many players like the soundtrack included in Smokin'Guns, but feel free to add additional themes. I'd love some hearing some music in the spirit of this and this.
:twisted:

We also have some short male and female player sounds to provide some acoustic feedback for players (such as having pain, getting hit and so on):
sound/player/death_arm.wav
sound/player/death_chest.wav
sound/player/death_default.wav
sound/player/death_falloff.wav
sound/player/death_head.wav
sound/player/death_land.wav
sound/player/death_leg.wav
sound/player/death_stomach.wav
sound/player/female/death1.wav
sound/player/female/death2.wav
sound/player/female/death3.wav
sound/player/female/drown.wav
sound/player/female/fall1.wav
sound/player/female/falling1.wav
sound/player/female/gasp.wav
sound/player/female/jump1.wav
sound/player/female/pain100_1.wav
sound/player/female/pain25_1.wav
sound/player/female/pain50_1.wav
sound/player/female/pain75_1.wav
sound/player/female/taunt.wav
sound/player/fry.wav
sound/player/gurp1.wav
sound/player/gurp2.wav
sound/player/land1.wav
sound/player/male/death1.wav
sound/player/male/death2.wav
sound/player/male/death3.wav
sound/player/male/drown.wav
sound/player/male/fall1.wav
sound/player/male/falling1.wav
sound/player/male/gasp.wav
sound/player/male/jump1.wav
sound/player/male/pain100_1.wav
sound/player/male/pain25_1.wav
sound/player/male/pain50_1.wav
sound/player/male/pain75_1.wav
sound/player/male/taunt.wav
sound/player/spin.wav
sound/player/talk1.wav
sound/player/talk2.wav
sound/player/talk3.wav
sound/player/taunt.wav
sound/player/underwater.wav
sound/player/watr_in.wav
sound/player/watr_out.wav
sound/player/watr_un.wav

Currently, we have officially 6 playable characters (4 male cowboys and 2 female) but every male uses the same sounds. So it would be really nice to have additional, high quality variety.

What we currently don't have, are player voice messages, such as "Hi, Hello, Howdy, Nice Shot, Goodbye, See ya, Yeeehaaa, Sorry, I need to leave" and so on. If you are interested in contributing these for male voices as well as females, I'm happy to brainstorm what non-provocative expressions are most useful.

Best regards,

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Tequila » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:18 am

Hi Elijah,

that's great you found your road to here ;)

@TheDoctor: Thanks for the summary I think you pointed out most points where Elijah could propose contributions.
Maybe some points will require few code updates but this definitively won't be a pain. Code will be at your service !

I would propose people can submit here some good cow-boy sentence they would enjoy to hear in-game. Personaly I don't as I'm french and don't know what would be good for the game. Of course, I 100% approve TheDoctor when he says
to brainstorm what non-provocative expressions

:twisted:

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby elijahlucian » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 pm

Alright Folks!

I have made a google document here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yo_ ... sp=sharing

It is open to anybody editing it. I will make regular backups just in case we get trolls haha.

But let's start brainstorming lines!

I have a few suggetions, would it be possible to add noises on kills? on weapon pickups and purchases? Just a few ideas.

Also on the intro video, maybe we should have some voiceover! haha.

I have played the game a bit, and I will dive in more this evening with the lady so she gets a feel for it.

So I will make 4 different cowboy voices each for the different models, maybe for the clint one I'll do a good eastwood accent, and for the mexican, I have an actor friend who is spanish, it will be so great!

So just join the google doc, brainstorm with me. I also do SFX and I read you needed snow somewhere haha. well. it's winter here and the snow is a foot deep...
elijahlucian
Newcomer

Postby Barto » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:26 pm

MsH brainstormed too and had some great sentences that may be great to add. He did not wanted to do the message, so I'm just relaying his ideas there.

About some sentences,
Have anyone of you ever played the old "Outlaws" game created by LucasArt in 1997? This game had some epic random punchline from bots:
  • Hey, mister lawman!
  • You're outnumbered!
  • Had enough yet?
  • There he is, get him!
  • Don't be a fool, marshal!
  • I hope you plant better than you shoot!
  • Damn you, and the horse you ride in on!
  • Where are you marshal?

I suppose you can get a few mores from wikiquote. I can imagine a player shouting this while pressing the gesture button (default is ctrl on keyboard) or when he earn points (kill, robbing the bank, ...).

I can also imagine an announcer Quake-Live like (or Unreal Tournament, Team Fortress 2, etc.). It would just say the classic messages that are also usually displayed on the screen like the round number or which team just won/lost.

About music,
Again quoting from Outlaws, they made some great music there. Just have an hear for it there.
Finally, I can also imagine some simple and ambient sounds of few strings of guitar. Close your eyes, hear the silence of two cowboys ready to shoot each other and put the sound that suits to the scene.

Anyway, I was really astonished when I read this post about the possibility to enhance the game with new sounds, this really gets directly into my heart.
"Chuck Norris had to shorten his beard in the presence of Richard Stallman because two beards that awesome, so close would segfault the universe (again)."
Barto
Jeuxlinux Admin

Postby Tequila » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Wasn't aware of wikimote... I extracted few here:
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly:
Blondie said:Every gun makes its own tune.

Blondie said:Were you gonna die alone?

Tuco said:Hey Blondie! You know what you are?!

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid:
Butch Cassidy said:What's the matter with you?!

Once Upon a Time in the West:
Harmonica said:Your friends have a high mortality rate Frank.

For a Few Dollars More:
The Man With No Name said:Alive or dead, it's your choice.

Join Smokin'Guns Return room on Discord
Tequila
SG Team

Postby /dev/random » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Even if you do not know how to use a sound right now, just add it to the game assets. This'd allow (client + server) mods to use them anytime.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 pm

My Two Cent suggestions.
I admit my Two Cent comes from an OOOLD man, who's used to play SG 100% of his time.

Let's face the basic paradox. We play a game set in a Spaghetti Western world: a place where women are not allowed to enter and where foul language is the rule, like in any other game. A place where to survive you make meatballs of the opponent.
But it's a game, it's a 21st century game. No admin -- and only few players -- want to face an escalation of insults. By our side we have the Old West etiquette.
OK, lets start.

1. different voices for different models is a good idea. You should be able to choose your model accordingly to its characteristics (visual and audio). That means that you should hear its voice in the graphical settings, when you have to choose.

2. one thing that hurt me of SG, since the first time I played it, is the female voice. It's so loud compared to male voice that you can hear it all over the map, but the worst thing is that it's sexually embarrassing. Try to understand me here, because I don't want explain my thinking further :) A good/nice/controlled new voice for the female character would be welcome! Wait... there is more than 1 female character. Have we forgotten it?, we, 'macho' players?

3. this game is known for its ethics. Probably due to its old-aged player base (accompanied by a child-players base... sometimes a father/mother playing with a son/daughter), or because of its Old West etiquette, nobody wants to tolerate insults or racist/sexist/religion-related/offensive taunts. "No racism of any kind" quoting Baller Bude lines. Keep in mind this.
Avoid "darn" or even worst "damn" (though I use it sometimes :oops: ), avoid any reference to "son of..." (Tequila, Biondo could take it personal :D ). Those wouldn't sound fun today, those would sound gratuitous 'exclusive' language. Be inclusive, not exclusive.

4. when I really play, and I'm not playing just to pass the time, I don't want to be distracted by stupid audio messages that, among other things, limit my sound perception of what is happening around. "Joe Doe has a reward on his head, Keep him!", "Oh Awesome Possum is on fire. Let her know who's the boss here!". No, no, no. The few times I played Open Arena, I had the occasion to appreciate its 'private' encouragements. "Excellent!". I was able to hear them after a long row of well done shots and nobody else could hear them. Moreover, the second "Excellent!" had a different tone, more excited, more encouraging. But it wasn't an environmental pollution. Single word phrases, directed only to me.

5. let me say goodbye to my friends the way I decide is the best for the moment. "cu later", "very nice", "have fun", "it was the super game of the year", whatever. Please, no pre-recorded messages.

6. we can investigate the way to give simple, personalized, informative, educational messages. Like "Have you ever tried using 2 pistols, instead of one?", or "use E to activate the Gatling Gun", "press F to open the door", "you are short of health" and so on.

Be Old(West), don't be Wild(West).

I've been provocative, but my intent is obviously not aimed at frustrating the gifted elijahlucian, rather to achieve a well balanced result.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby TheDoctor » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:29 am

elijahlucian wrote:Would it be possible to add noises on kills? on weapon pickups and purchases?
Yes, one can conceive playing different hurt sounds on kills, even depending on the type of weapon. Same goes for weapon purchases.

elijahlucian wrote:I also do SFX and I read you it's winter here and the snow is a foot deep
Good, because our snow SFX is terrible ;-).

Barto wrote:This game had some epic random punchline from bots...
I'm most concerned about multiplayer and how long sentences, possibly spoken from everybody, would quickly fill the medium and get really annoying. In this sense, I would suggest to concentrate on most frequently used words and phrases first. After that, one could devise a way how to restrict the use of longer sentences, such as paying (in-game currency) for a cool sound bite as one does have to pay (in-game currency) to get weapons.

I have done an analysis regarding the most frequent used words/phrases on Baller Bude. My results are grouped by topic. Two phrases separated by colon means, they are (almost) interchangeable and could randomly picked for variation. While I already filtered out some curses, there may be some debatable phrases which we may want to exclude. One should strictly only allow those phrases, which are generally considered non-offensive. My preliminary suggestions are:
result wrote:congratulations:
- "Good game!"
- "Nice!", "Nice one", "Nice shot", "Good", "Very nice", "Cool", "Well done"
- "Wow", "No chance!"

humorous forms of taunting or praise and other responses after being killed:
- ":P" *bleeh*, a very mild taunt, signaling "I'm OK, but I'll keep fighting you"
- "awww"
- "Oh... my... God", "Oh my"
- "Suuure", "Impossible!!", "Really?"
- "Laaag"
- "Damn", "Darnit"
- "Oh!", "Oh no!"
- "Ouch!"
- "Burn!", "Die!", "Why won't you die?!!"
- "Aaaahhh", "Aaaargghhh"
- "Rats!", "Crap!"
- "Again?", in disbelief
- "Ooops"
- "Stop!", "Stop it!", "Come on!"
- "Close!", "Almost!"
- "Funny!"

cheering/non-insulting forms of laughter
- "Yeehaw", "Yahooo", "Yeaahh!", "Jawohl!" (see RTCW)
- "Ole´!"
- "Lol", spoken as spelled
- ":)" *hmm*, an audible light smile
- "Hehe", spoken "heh heh" with a twink
- "Hihi", spoken "heehee" with a twink
- honest laughter

greetings:
- "Hi", "Howdy", "Hello", "Hallo", "Hey", "Salute", "Hi everyone", "Hi all", "Hola"
- "Got to go", "Have to go"
- "Bye bye", "Good bye"
- "Bye", "See You", "Later", "Ciao"
- "Have fun!"
- "Be right back"

confirmation/negation/thanks/apologies:
- "Thank you", "Thanks", "Thanks a lot"
- "Please"
- "No problem", "You're welcome"
- "Okay"
- "Yes", "Aye", "Yeah", "Ye", "Yo", "Ya", "Yep"
- "Agreed", "Acknowledged", "Of course"
- "Me too", "I know"
- "No", "Naye", "Nope", "Nein" (the German no)
- "Sorry"

questions:
- "What?"
- "What the ..."
- "How?"
- "Where?"
- "Who?"
- "Next map?"
- "Change map?"
- "Again?"

announcements (additional phrases):
- "You have taken the lead"
- "You tied for the lead"
- "You've lost the lead"
- "You've won!"
- "Congratulations!"
- "Better luck next time"
- "A bank was robbed!"
- "The robbers escaped!"
- "Lawmen won!"
- "Your team won!"
- "Your team lost!"
- "Welcome to Smokin' Guns"
- "5 kills in a row"
- "10 kills in a row!"
- "15 kills in a row!!"
- "20 kills in a row!!!"
- "25 kills in a row!!!!"
- "30 kills in a row!!!!!"
- "A player has bounty on his head. Get him!" (5 kills)
- "A player is dead clever! Stop him! NOW!" (10 kills)
- "A player outsmarts you! DO SOMETHING!" (15 kills)
- "A player is unstoppable! GOD HELP US ALL!" (20 kills)
- "A player is wicked sick! HOLY MOLY!" (25 kills)
- "This player must be Clint Eastwood! UNFUCKINGBELIEVABLE!" (30 kills)
Note, a 30 kill streak under real conditions is highly improbable ;-). Feedback is requested.

For your information, here are the details of the analysis. The format is "number of uses: phrase - manual explanation and/or suggestion on how to implement this as a sound". I omitted some lines, mostly swearing and doublets
analysis wrote:81692: gg - "Good game!" as in congratulations after game, sometimes even used during games as compliment
81349: :P - "blehhh", a very mild taunt, signaling "I'm OK, but I'll keep fighting you"
53029: lol - *loud laughter*
47464: :) - *an audible light smile*
45093: hi - "Hi", "Howdy", "Hello", "Hallo", "Hey", "Salute", "Hi everyone", "Hi all"
27736: nice - "Nice!", "Nice one", "Nice shot", "Good" used as compliment after a good move
14283: ty - "Thank you", "Thanks"
11451: bb - "Bye bye", signaling "I'm leaving"
7980: ok - "Okay"
7752: haha - "Hahahaha", similar to "lol", I guess, but probably shorter and with a slight insulting/negative meaning
7007: ? - "What?"
6046: hehe - "Hehe"
5768: bye - "Bye", "See You", "Later", "ciao" response to "Bye bye"
5572: wow - "Wow", meant as compliment
5569: aww - "Awwwww", as in "I really wished it worked out as I planned"
5409: hi all - see hi
5063: yes - "Yes", "Yep", "Ja", "Yo" as in confirmation
4996: no - "No", as in negation
4459: aahh - "Aaaaaaahhhhhh" , a approximately three second fake scream of frustration, meant with a wink
4416: :( - *an audible frowning*
4234: n1 - see nice
4066: ns - see above
3905: omg - "Oh... my... god", "Oh my"
3587: cu - see bye
3586: wtf - "What the ...", not meant to be spelled out
3433: hp? - "Hitpoints?", the question of how close an enounter was
3394: lame - "lame!", this can mean anything
3095: ... - ""
3094: hp - see hp?
2966: thx - see ty
2679: hey - see hi
2659: hello - see hi
2633: nooo - "Nooooo", as in Darth Vader's "Do not like"
2563:
2507: sure - "Suuuure", "Yeah, right" as in "I cannot accept this just happened"
2473: lag - "Laaaag!", as in somethin is wrong with the connectivity and affecting gameplay
2449: dd -
2432: damn - "Damn"
2243: oh - "Oh!", as in I didn't saw that comming
2229: b - see bye
2177: :o - see oh
2092: f1 - see yes
1731: ?? - see what
1726: good - see nice
1705: g - see gg
1585: thanks - see ty
1499: ouch - "Ouch" as in "That still hurts"
1487: vote yes - see yes
1442: vote no - see no
1412: yep - see yes
1398: camper - "Need a tent?"
1396: sry - "Sorry"
1363: cu later - see bye
1325: sorry - see sry
1242: gg all - see gg
1230: yeah - "Yeah!", "Yesss", as in victory
1141: -.- - *sigh*, an audible facepalm
1140: hp ? - see hp?
1041: bb all - see bye
1038: oo
1026: yo - see yes
1016: howdy - see hi
1014: ...
987: eh - probably this is ambigous, could be "hehe" as well as "erhm, pardon me?"
959: pff - "Pffff", as in "No big deal, everybody can do that, too"
956: ja - see yes
948: y - see yes
938: gn - "Good night", used after 11pm
933: heh -
910: np - "no problem", as in "you're welcome"
826: hmm - "hmmmmm", as in I have to think about it
807: ah - ambigous
797: eheh - the italian version of "hehe"
780: ha
778: k
777: die - "Die!", as in "die already" and "why won't you die?!!!"
723: 0
718: argh - "arghhh", the german/pirate version of "aaaaahhh"
699: wth - see wtf
677: ciao - see bye, means also hi in italian
645: oops - "Ooops?"
633: what? - see `
630: aff
607: hihi - the childish verison of hehe (in German)
587: ya
575: cya
572: bye all
556: ye
542: bg
520: hmm
491: very nice
479: pfff
462: hi again
456: me too
453: rats
452: oh no
420: stop
380: again
370: nice shot
365: i know
355: heheh
341: cool
335: wow nice
333: nice one
309: no way
309: nope
301: fun
300: brb
298: grrr
261: great
257: dang
239: hola
230: close
229: almost
218: wait
217: come on
216: please
191: no chance
181: he he
179: have fun
162: crap
160: goodbye
153: how?
152: yesss
142: darn
136: of course
136: i have to go
135: well done
133: gtg
111: plz
109: really?
103: where?
102: see?
101: aye
96: got to go
94: funny
75: phew
67: damnit
67: impossible
67: unhit
67: merde
65: teams
64: oleee
63: burn
62: where are you?
62: next map?
[/quote]
Some time ago, I was considering the idea that if you enter a known phrase such as "hi", the server would requests the clients to play the appropriate sound file.

Biondo wrote:let me say goodbye to my friends the way I decide is the best for the moment.
My approach would be to let you choose what you want to say. If it's "gg" or "hi", why not hear it?

Biondo wrote:Can we investigate the way to give simple, personalized, informative, educational messages, such as "use E to activate the Gatling Gun"?
It is conceivable to use audiobits within a demo to demonstrate the gameplay, similar to an in-game tutorial. However, the amount of propositions are many and our resources are few. It would be easier to create a (youtube) video with commentary which could be linked on the homepage.
TheDoctor
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby /dev/random » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 pm

I started smiling imagining a bot using the "Laaag" voice chat as an excuse :)
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Biondo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:40 pm

Wonderful, documented comment, TheDoctor! It will be a stone-sculpted starting point.

I agree that my idea of "tutorial" messages is not viable, and its aim could better achieved with a well designed video.

If I understand it well, you have in mind two different targets for messages coming from servers: messages directed to all players and messages directed to a single player. Am I right?

For messages that aren't coming from the server, but are coming from single players, are you thinking of "spatial sounds" (I mean sounds that you hear louder when you are close to the source, and you probably can't hear at the opposite side of the map) or are you thinking of "radio sounds" (sounds that everyone hear at the same audio level no matter where they are)? I would prefer the first solution. Less noise, more realism.

Trying to better understand what's going on here I summarized this thread the Biondo-way. Tell me if I got something wrong or if I missed to quote relevant contributions to the discussion.

Download PDF. Original post here. [Icons by the Tango Desktop Project.]
Last edited by Biondo on Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biondo
SG Website Designer

Postby /dev/random » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:46 pm

Biondo wrote:"spacial sounds" (I mean sounds that you hear louder when you are close to the source, and you probably can't hear at the opposite side of the map)
These are called spatial sounds (sorry for being an grammar nazi).

Btw one can also playback sounds that are only audible to one player, independent of his position.
/dev/random
Smokin' Amigo!

Next

Return to Audio

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel