With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

If there were to be a SG Dueling Tournament, would you participate?

Yes
58%
Yes, and help run the tournament
33%
No
8%

Total votes : 12

Postby hika » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:36 pm

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:Anyone have ideas how to attract more players for this proposed tourney?

Maybe a big blinking "marquee" on the WQ3 news page ?
Just kidding :lol:.

ReD NeCKersoN wrote:As a start, maybe server admins could advertise in their motd? I'll do that on RH2 right away. We should also remember to tell people we meet on the servers. They are the ones most likely to be interested afterall. :wink:

I have changed the motd on Wasteland DM and BR.
When the time comes, I may replace Wasteland DM to Wasteland Duel Tournament, during the duel session.
Of course, "allowvote" will be disable and I will open a new log file, just in case we need to process it with a log analyzer.
SG name: Manchot
SG fansite: http://western.bsdmon.com
userbar originally created by Caffeine
hika
SG Team

Postby tony montana » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:07 pm

good idea! but after this tournament we can organize another in teams :>
make my day, punk!
join us : #tramwajarze @ freenode.net
ircname : kmadejski
tony montana
Newcomer

Postby Dadamungo » Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:18 pm

The horsemen says he would like to participate as well. Prepare to be gunned down! :P
Dadamungo
Shootist

Postby Pardner » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:12 pm

tony montana wrote:good idea! but after this tournament we can organize another in teams :>

Welcome to the forums! This goes along with what Hellrider said. I would love for thing sort of thing to catch on. If is does, you betch ya we will do it again and with different game types.

Dadamungo wrote:The horsemen says he would like to participate as well. Prepare to be gunned down!

Great good to hear it! We now know the youngest competitor!

It is really good to see some interest! (even some new faces on the forum!)
Pardner
SG Team

Postby =Chico= » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:15 pm

Chico is IN! Death to you ALLLLLLL !!!!!!!

OK - Here's what I think. We may end up with alot of folks who want to do this so we may need several servers dedicated to the cause and with different Days/Times so everyone can participate.
=Chico=
Smokin' Amigo!

Postby Pardner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:55 am

I was thinking that maybe it would be wise to have an European server and an American server, this way everyone would have the best ping possible. Red offered RAWHIDEII and hika Wasteland. I was going to set up the times so that it would be reasonable for all players. I still need to work out the round times and the start date. This event might have to cover multiple days, just because of how the rounds work.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby hika » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 am

Pardner wrote:I was going to set up the times so that it would be reasonable for all players. I still need to work out the round times and the start date. This event might have to cover multiple days, just because of how the rounds work.

In addition to the round announcement, maybe all the participants should meet to a special chat channel (say #westernq3@irc.quakenet.org ?), so we can quickly react on participants turn.
And I guess you also have to define referees for each rounds, to report winners ... etc.
But maybe, you are thinking of another way of organization ? ;)
Don't forget to use the forum event calendar :D
hika
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:54 pm

hika wrote:In addition to the round announcement, maybe all the participants should meet to a special chat channel (say #westernq3@irc.quakenet.org ?), so we can quickly react on participants turn.
And I guess you also have to define referees for each rounds, to report winners ... etc.
But maybe, you are thinking of another way of organization ? ;)
Don't forget to use the forum event calendar :D

I was definitely going to mention having an IRC channel. I didn?t know if it was worth making a separate channel for the tournament.. such as [url]irc://irc.quakenet.org/westernq3.dueling[url] ... but I guess if we kept it on the [url]irc://irc.quakenet.org/westernq3[url] channel it would be good to have activity on the channel. Also there is the WQ3 teamspeak channel.

It would be great to have a couple referees; if there were multiple referees then we could run one duel one after another with out wearing the referees out. for instance: if there was a 16 contestant duel, we could start at 9:00AM (GMT-5) and end by 4:30PM (GMT-5) http://www.geocities.com/brettoc2002/wq3_tournament.htm
It would depend on the players in each round, but we could switch servers half-way through the day just to make it fare for both sides of the Ocean :) Although it is going to be inevitable for an player in Europe to play against a player in the Americas.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby hika » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:53 pm

Pardner wrote:I didn?t know if it was worth making a separate channel for the tournament.. such as [url]irc://irc.quakenet.org/westernq3.dueling[url] ... but I guess if we kept it on the [url]irc://irc.quakenet.org/westernq3[url] channel it would be good to have activity on the channel.

If IRC is chosen, #westernq3 will be good enough in my opinion.

Pardner wrote:Also there is the WQ3 teamspeak channel.

eh, you know, I'm a shy guy :lol:

Pardner wrote:we could start at 9:00AM (GMT-5) and end by 4:30PM (GMT-5) http://www.geocities.com/brettoc2002/wq3_tournament.htm
It would depend on the players in each round, but we could switch servers half-way through the day just to make it fare for both sides of the Ocean :) Although it is going to be inevitable for an player in Europe to play against a player in the Americas.

Your planning seems good, in the (worst) case we play on only one server, and if rounds cannot be played at the time.
Hopefully, I would expect rounds played in parallel.
hika
SG Team

Postby ReD NeCKersoN » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:14 am

I agree we should use the current irc channel. It would be a good thing for the channel, which is rarely busy. Of course, it may be difficult to convince all of the players to use it.
As for servers, I was thinking if we have enough players from each continent we could just split it up. Then the winners from each could face off for one round in Europe & one round in America. Average their individual scores to determine the overall winner? But it looks like we still need more contestants for this to work. With only 9 so far, we might as well just do it on one server.
ReD NeCKersoN
SG Team

Postby sig11 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:32 pm

Oh-oh ... how did I get into this ladder ... I know, you wanted an easy opponent, pardner ;-) ...

Anyways, my server has the tournament in the motd, too.
In-game name: =SG= Django (yes, it's cliché :-) )
sig11
SG Team

Postby Pardner » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:50 pm

Dont worry about it, these arent official sign-ups. I think I used your name in the ladder just as and example. When there seems to be enough interest (14-16 people) I will ask fo official sign-ups.
Pardner
SG Team

Postby stoic_ails » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:24 pm

Of course we offer also our server if it's needed (location in germany).
Even stats would be possible, btw
stoic_ails
Drifter

Postby Pardner » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:35 am

I have started a new thread. If you wish to sign-up or post a comment concerning the Dueling Tournament, please post them there.
http://www.westernquake3.net/viewtopic.php?p=7409#7409
Pardner
SG Team

Postby Dr.Feelgood » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:05 pm

Hi

I (Black Jack Ketchum) and Pansho would like to play!
But we don't now if we have the time.

Its depending on when its gonna be played.

And maybe another guy from our new WQ clan =Cowboys From Hell= could play to.

Great idea BTW
In Wester QUAKE BlackJack Ketchum

Member of the =Cowboys From Hell= Clan

The REAL BlackJack Ketchum
\/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Jack_Ketchum
Dr.Feelgood
Newcomer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar