With cordite in the air, splintered steel, shell casings and powder burns, there’s only one explanation...
Old WQ3 forum - archived. Links may not work.

i want to start my own total conversion

Postby tomo » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:31 am

i understand that i will need a team, i was just wondering what programs i would need to download for map making and skins etc and someone to teach me how to start it up and put the game together etc...
i wanted to do a conversion on either quake 3 or Return to Castle walfenstein but im prolly gonna do it on Q3 as u guys said it is good for beginers to start and and i want my game to be mainly an arena game
tips? help? all apreciated

oh yeh and in case you were wondering what theme i was going to do i was thinking about making "Ghostbusters Arena" basically like a ghostbusters game where you can battle each other in arena (you would have seen the film) and stuff...also missions where you and the boys have to track down the ghost and trap it etc
call me lame but i love ghostbusters
also anyone experienced and interested can help:D
tomo
Drifter

Postby Lixus » Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:49 am

hey tomo, good to see that new mods come out for the quake 3 engine.. it's guys like you who keep up the q3 scene :D :wink:
ok, programs you need:

mapping:
http://www.qeradiant.com - the best mapping tool for quake3

modeling:
either you need an expert 3d program AND a md3 compiler (which makes the models so that you can use them in quake3)
-3dstudio and maya are good moddeling programs as i know, i don't remeber the name of the md3 compiler....
but at the beginning you should use milkshape 3d (http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/ms3d/index.html), it's easy to use, it's free and it has an md3 compiler included...

coding:
hm that's something i really don't know.. i guess you need a program like visual c++ (????) and a compiler or something...

if you want to make a single player mod, you should take the wolf engine, because it already has single player and this is very difficult to code for quake 3...
but if you make a multiplayer mod i would give you the quake 3 engine, there are just more online (and mod-)players in quake 3..

hey, and i love ghostbusters too.. very trashy and very cool... :mrgreen: i want to see the ghostbusters car ingame!! ;)
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Postby tomo » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:07 am

cheers for all your help, and so quickly, i only posted it a hour ago!
now im confused because i understand that more people play quake3 and i enjoy arena games more than single player but i liked the idea of single player levels for a ghostbusters game because it just makes more sence than a battle of ghostbusters.....and i was thinking, i dont want to get sued so maybe i could have a different theme instead of GB cos then i would find something that makes more sence for a deathmatch

i was inspired by your games because i love westerns

any ideas for a new TC?

and also, after making maps and skins atc, how would i set it up into a file so that everything looks different when you go in and how it all looks etc?

cheers
tomo
Drifter

Postby Lixus » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:34 am

well, you just have to replaye everything in the game...
ah and a hint for you to understand the quake 3game structure.. open the pak0.pk3 in you baseq3 folder with http://www.winzip.com or some other zip program... thats the place where all of the maps, models, skins, and the code from id is in...
=Lixus=
Lixus
Iron Claw

Return to General Discussion

Show Sidebar
Show Sidebar

User Control Panel